Sword or Orc Slaying You say?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Pendragon, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I wonder if a Mob that killed you, say a dragon, looted your weapon or armor. As he's holding your armor and as long as he is alive he gains fame for killing other Player Characters. He is evil so it will be evil fame instilled in the loot that he has on him. If the Mob lasts for a long time it could be potentially a highly prized evil weapon.

2. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

There's no reason it should be any different than the current plan for the system. If a sword is used to kill 500 orcs, it will eventually become 'orc slayer' right? So if it's used to kill 500 elves, it would naturally become known as elf slayer, and so on. Obviously, if you PVP other humans all the time, your sword would become 'human slayer' and perhaps gain the ability to decapitate PVP foes at a higher percentage on the PVP fields. keeping track as to whether the attacks and kills committed with the blade are 'good' or 'evil' acts should be possible to track as well, so I think this would be a fine addition, and probably already planned in the development. If not, then I'm glad you brought it up, because it should be.

3. Miracle Dragon

This brings up another question.. So if you find a sword that is now cursed because someone used it to commit evil 1000 times.. but then you use it to commit good, valorous acts 2000 times, can you change the sword into a blessed weapon over time?

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

well I really do not like the cursing/blessing but the titles would change yes. I do not see why anyone would use that item after they acquired it other than to hang on a wall as a trophy though :)

*edit
    unless it was a curse like in Baldurs gate where it was the belt that made you change gender lol

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I personally don't like the human slayer abilities. That will become difficult to balance in PvP. Because a mage cannot have a spell that is titled human slayer that makes up for the halberd that does double damage to people. No thanks.

On another note what about levels for the sword. Say at 100 orc kills it gets a title and a +10% damage modifier to orcs, then at 250 kills it gives a +25% modifier, then 500 kills = +50% modifier, and finally after 1,000 kills it could deliver a +100% modifier doing double damage to this type of creature. Also let the title become more intimidating as it reaches these milestones.

Also I propose that only the highest quality and completely refined crafted items can gain these attributes. It would help make these weapons more special. Then if you find an orcslayer sword it is not just an average sword, and there would be no need to refine the sword to "make it more powerful". It could be repaired by smiths, but maybe the only refinements left are just cosmetic since these are exceptional quality weapons. This also might keep people from switching between weapons when fighting other monsters and only using this sword against it's particular target creature.

6. Miracle Dragon

I disagree. if a warrior's sword gets the change, then a mage's staff, or robes would get the equivellent. unless you're making your mark in the world without wearing any gear at all, then you have potential to increase the usefulness of the gear you are wearing in the situations they most frequent. Why would it be limited to a single type of gear? Using a weapon was just a single example among any gear that is placed on a player's paper-doll.

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There has to be a way to kill people that is reasonable without human slayer items (with damage bonuses), then if you add human slayer items into the mix you mess up PvP. Basically it does what WoW did by creating PvP gear. I really don't want t0 see PvP gear in this game!

If there are human slayer items then everybody who PvP's will be at a disadvantage without one of these items. Also the people who have been PvPing longest will have more PvP gear and have an even greater advantage (as if experience is not enough). We should be able to PvP with normal items.

Full loot helps take care of this problem because people are foolish to bring their most prized items into PvP for the danger of losing them. However if it is a PvP (human slayer) with bonuses to kill humans... bad combination.

Now what I do like is having the weapon take on TITLES ONLY for PvP. Then you can have a halberd that has the title "Slayer of Thousands" (probably traded hands many times by that point). No damage bonuses against other humans.

8. Miracle Dragon

I'm cool with either. taking nice gear into PVP should always be tempered by the ability of your enemy to loot those items off your body.. And it makes sense. If someone spends all their time killing humans with their dagger, then why not get a bonus for being so committed to it? just like against any other creature in the game. Again, if it's just a title, i guess that's okay too.. but what's the point of a cool title if it doesn't do anything special? especially if it can just change hands every time someone dies? It suddenly becomes meaningless and who cares.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What if the other person spent all their time using their sword to kill monsters, he should still be skilled with the sword.

If it comes to this argument I would rather there be NO BONUSES FOR ANY WEAPON just titles. I would rather the orc slayer sword be just a cool title and have no damage bonus, than allowing a human slayer sword have a bonus in PvP.

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

In my opinion in the case of PvP and items with special abilities - it would be better to have items that decrease armor damage than any weapon that provides a tactical advantage against another live player ...

However - I would want +(anything) orc slayer weapon, etc etc to exist in PvE

11. Miracle Dragon

I just don't see the point of all the titles if they don't do anything for the player. seems like a huge waste of time.. "Hey, this sword slayed 100 dragons!" "so what? who cares?" What a let down.

Time Lord, rild and Pendragon like this.
  12. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I have to agree with Isaiah on this. Weapon bonus's on items is a dangerous path to start. It starts the WoW like spiral of increased armor/weapon stats. It would be imposable to balance and some one would always be complaining about out of balance game mechanics. I'm not saying it is a bad idea, it just has been proven not to work.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I only said what I did because I loath the idea of human slayer swords that have bonuses against other players in PvP.

I brought up the idea of having bonuses for monsters. I'm just against the PvP weapons/human slayer weapons. If they have a human slayer let it have a special bonus against NPC humans, never against a player target in PvP.

14. smack

smack Avatar

I think weapon titles are reward enough. Beyond just an achievement thing, they were meant to provide historic value for that item. I don't necessarily disagree with them getting stat bonuses of some kind, but I'd imagine that would be an extremely high achievement of not 100 orcs but 10,000 orcs. Orcslayer is going to be meaningless as a title as that seem far too low a bar to measure against if it's only 100. I can see maybe at 1,000 or 5,000. And then at 10,000 it receives a bonus and then has more than just historic value.

15. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Some good points here. First let me state anything over a +3 in damage imo is to much. One thing I'd like to avoid overly relying on stats. (this is a big peeve of mine with current games) instead of a bonus to damage or hit, it could add a slowing/poisoning/armor damaging/ or clumsy effect on a target, or it could have a blade that is blackened by the blood of Orcs causing a fear or a rampage effect. (not one or the other but a chance of either. Nothings says the effects have to be always beneficial to us) I'd like to see them get creative, have a sword that changes in appearance, durability, functioning, anything to add the I got something special here factor.

As for killing hundreds of humans, orcs, elves and dragons with the same sword it would be cool if each time something happened but not always something good. The spirit of the woods would imbued the sword and the animals of the forest would attack you. But also i killed 200 dragons so a chance a fireball would launch from it. Again they could have fun with these adding them in over time to add to the flavor. Not every effect has to have a positive or negative effect! You attack the foul dragon and roses sprout from his nose! A hollowed voice echo's "silly dragon settle down, thy should just stop and smell the roses!" Stuff like this for me personally would be worth more then any plus to some generic stat!

16. Dorham Isycle

Dorham Isycle Avatar

It could give a bonus of .1 against orcs at every 500 with a cap of +5 (whatever that means)
    then you start killing trolls & it gains .1 against trolls & losses .1 orc. If you wanted a true Orc slayer AND a true Troll slayer weapon, you need 2 weapons, you would be careful what you used them for.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Your post made me think of one more thing. If a sword did carry a title, say orc slayer. Maybe the greater fame of the sword would cause greater hatred and cause the sword to draw agro towards it. The less the fame the less agro. The aggro would be from only the mob it has the slayer title to.

18. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Excellent point, you would assume a weapon like that would cause a stir in the belly of those it has wrecked havoc upon.

19. smack

smack Avatar

Ah, and that could be the risk vs reward aspect to wielding such a weapon of historic value. To take this further, perhaps lower level creatures could flee from you if they see you wielding a weapon that had killed 10,000 of their brethren. Higher level ones might see that as a challenge or fill them with hate/anger (ie aggro) to you.

20. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

That is a very good point also. So many good points in this whole thread, lets keep it up! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.