Sword or Orc Slaying You say?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Pendragon, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I understand the concerns with PVP balancing, however, I don't think Player vs. player combat should work inherently differently from Player vs. NPC combat. They should play out the same. Which means if I can do extra damage against humans, I shouldn't have to step out of the game and think to myself, wait, is this human I'm fighting an NPC human, or a Player human? If combat is that radically different, I think that's an even larger problem.

Saosis likes this.
  2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

PvP and Player vs Environment is completely different. For one some monsters have many times the hit-points of a player, or they might have special abilities players do not have. This is why silver items did double damage to Undead in games like UO. I think it's fine to have a dragon slayer sword that does 50% or even 100% more damage to dragons than to other creatures, but having the same type of item for PvP would create an imbalance.

So there is a reason I say no bonuses for human vs human combat, while I leave the door open for player vs environment. The NPC or monster isn't going to complain if a character has a special advantage. However disturbing the delicate balance between character skills, spells, and items is not going to help the devs create a balanced environment for player characters and PvP. I hope I'm making sense.

3. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Perfectly clear, the problem with balance is it is a pipe dream. When they can't achieve balance without ruining the game in a fps, what are the odds for a rpg? I don't want to turn this fun" what if this or that item" thread into a debate about balance. Just my own thought on it is it will never happen without totally ruining any flavor a game has. Unless every class does the same damage per second, same healing per second, same Item stats, balance will never truely be achieved. Although, If something like this was totally implamented I wouldn't care at all if it didn't effect players. But I would think the pvp was homogenized. But I do get what you are saying, and don't think you are wrong, we just veiw balance differently.

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

you're entitled to your opinion. The fact still remains is that this game is a classless game, and they specifically said they are working hard to keep things as balanced as possible not trying to give advantages to one skill tree vs another. They as game designers seem to think there's good reason to try to ballance things.

You can continue to talk about all that stuff, but I've said my piece regarding this issue.

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

You can have balance in PvP without the need to only engage with a mirror image combatant. League of Legends has accomplished this ....

Back on topic

I would like swords to acquire an affinity bonus (if someone took the time to kill 500 orcs) - but I say it could only be +1, nothing greater (just my opinion not based on any factual evidence)

I would like it to be accompanied with a title; and if I continue to kill another 1000 then I would get a unique title for my sword

---

I agree with Isaiah that slaying bonus items should not enter the PvP realm and would add that if any sort of beneficial item is injected it should be restricted to managing repair cost and nothing more

6. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.

I hope they succeed personally, but if history has shown us anything, it is eventually someone will figures out something that will cause people to complain about how unbalanced it is. Then we end up in a non-stop spir of adjustments.

Never played LoL so I can't speak to that.

With the title I would prefer something that doesn't effect stats at all, unless it was something like a mentioned above. A rare chance to cause a spell or something silly.

7. Margard

Margard Avatar

There will always be someone who is unhappy about the combat system in PvP ... I hope the dev's stick to their design and are not swayed easily

8. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think it would be cool! in addition to the evil or good weapons, if a good player comes into ownership of an evil weapon it should also effect them adversely as well (think thats the right word) should cause them hardships of some sort, and vice versus! bad with good as an example, a thief could not steal while wearing it, assassin could not kill or be assassin - like with it! good pally starts doing bad things adverse to his virtues etc.. And if its cursed on you you need to find a gypsy or something to break it! I played a D&D game like that once!

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm having a hard time figuring out why anyone would carry a cursed weapon, if that were the case. Why should a cursed weapon harm it's owner, and if it did, what would be the benefit of having one?

This is a case where I think that from a game design aspect, cursed weapons should no more adversely affect 'evil' players any more than charmed weapons should harm 'virtuous' players. Cursed weapons are a good idea, but this particular idea isn't very good game design.

10. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

What if you didnt know it was cursed? :) until you actually used it and things were all out of wack! In D&D when you come across a cursed weapon you do not know its cursed until its used, then more than likely you have to find someone to remove it!

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

Can be fun but how can a weapon get a evil title with consensual PvP and thievery?

How can the wearer of that weapon be evil if he only kill players that consented to be killed?

You need non-consensual PvP for your idea to work.

And without full loot, as it seems SotA will have if you listen to the developers, then these weapons wont change owner.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

As long as the effects would be easily reversible by no longer equipping the thing. I'm not a big fan of 'land mine' game design.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

they could find just evil stuff in PVE side and it affect their fighting ability or something?

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

easily reversed would be finding a magic user with remove curse. At that point it reverts to a normal sword, with normal damage and loses the curse title

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

If a person makes criminal attack on other players, and does so habitually, that qualifies as evil. A criminal attack has nothing to do with 'consent'.

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

My friend came across a cursed dagger that made him stumble over stuff all the time and lost his high dex, he tried to get rid of it but it just reappeared, so finally we went to a magic user of some sort and had the curse removed (for a price of course) lol

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Not much of a curse, then. It would be more interesting if it triggered a quest to destroy the damnable thing, as in The Lord of the Rings.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

that could be another way of ridding the curse as well, if its a real strong one!

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

it was because we couldnt figure out what was happening for awhile until we tied it all together! It just happened at random times!

20. Ara

Ara Avatar

And how do you do a criminal attack if all players consented to be a target?

There are no criminal attacks going on in such a game mode.

When flagged for PvP there will be no PK:ing only PvP players fighting it out, there is nothing criminal with only killing players that have consented to be killed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.