Sword or Orc Slaying You say?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Pendragon, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

Has nobody played Baldur's Gate? There were cursed weapons and if you equipped them prior to identifying them, you couldn't remove them! You had to get them removed by a wizard.

2. Ara

Ara Avatar

Well that is something else. Then it isnt the act of the player that turned the weapon evil, it was evil from the beginning.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

"the girdle of masculinity/femininity" :p

4. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Well everyone who flags pvp may not really be able to fight well, there will be gilded gatherers and such out there and other people who want to test the odds. In addition, if a fight is instigated by one it might be a criminal act even in PVP mode. Maybe the weapon that has so many "murder counts" would build up an evil reputation. These are just my thoughts. I am for full loot in the pvp areas. I do not think that has been clarified yet.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

The devs can define that any way they like, but I'd imagine that they do something similar to UO, where if you attack me without cause, you are a criminal, and if you kill me, you are a murderer. Once you flag as either a criminal, or a murderer, any player can attack you with no consequences.

It isn't a matter of consent, its a matter of actions, and the consequences for those actions, and in a game based on Virtues, a system like this would be natural.

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

"Evil reputation" could equate to whomever possesses the sword may be hunted by the local Militia if they travel near towns; local merchants "remember" the owner and charge hire prices for goods or out right refuse to sell to the owner of the "Sword of Villainy"

7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If if I found a sword that has an evil title then why is the malitia hunting me? Wouldn't they be serving the community better by protecting me from the evil sword?

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

it could be an oracle thing. you made the choice to loot the object instead of let it decay maybe? :p

From a RP standpoint maybe the guards and villagers would be afraid that the item would be so evil as to corrupt you and you must die along with it!

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sounds like a poor game design to me. I think Isaiah has it right. People should be trying to save you, not punish you.

10. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Cool, Darkstarr in IRC looked over this thread and thought the Ideas were pretty cool. He said they are something to work on in the future but no promises!

11. Margard

Margard Avatar

I was not commenting if someone found the sword I imagine that you used the sword to make it attain the title and along with it the consequences of it's reputation.

If you found a "curse" sword ... get it out of your inventory ... if it is one of those pesky items that you can't drop then I guess you would go see a mystic to remove the curse.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I don't mind what title my sword has as long as I use it for good I should be considered good. I don't mind if the sword keeps it's evil title as long as I'm doing well with it.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

lol

14. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I was looking over the Chaos Magic tree. If there is weapons with charges on them in the game, It would be cool that as the weapon gained evil/good fame, the weapon would become chaotic good or chaotic evil. But as the nature of Chaos, the weapon would sometimes backfire on the wielder! Ya I understand that no one in PVP or serious PVE might not want this disadvantage, but it would be fun in some role play scenarios.

15. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

the thing about weapons having an alignment is that it must first be intelligent. Even in D&D intelligent weapons were VERY RARE. So if there are weapons like this one you're talking about that can backfire on a person they should be found on some kind of "random & rare" quest.

On another thread it was proposed that they get about 50 or so player made quests that appear once every other day to a random person that have unique items, like a stone that opens gates to different parts of the world as a result of randomly finding one of these unique quests. Perhaps an intelligent weapon could be part of one of these quests. It would make it very rare if it is one of 50 quests played every other day... then there would only be like 3 or 4 of them in the world total after a whole year.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

Things like this represent the slippery slope towards the Monty Haul syndrome in games that spell the doom of MMOs, the love of gear.

Perfect your character, not your gear.

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

these items are cosmetic and would do nothing for stats unless maybe like some one said maybe a plus 3 in something or - 2 in something. These have been in every dungeon and dragon game and like games from the start. I also stated that this probably would not be used by PVP or Serious PVE players. This thread is about thinking out of the box and trying to come up with ideas. (not gonna feed any trolls)

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you want an honest debate, then you have to permit dissenting views. Let's not tart up the game with cosmetic fluff.

About the only think cosmetic I would be willing to support would be camouflage sticks.

[​IMG]

19. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.
    Well until we get some details, we are all just pondering, "what if?" I always thought they got it right in UO with regards to gear. I like the idea of expanding that to include how a piece of gear is used and not just how it is crafted. Not only does it give the game a more personal touch, but it can also add some player invented fun. (Someone may want a dragon slayer sword and armor, so they can roleplay a dragon slayer) They can also make and remove titles thru out the history of the game, adding value to a piece or just limiting the amount in game.

I get people worry about stats, that's why I perfer a small bonus or something that would be a rare occurance. (ie A spell proc) But if it were up to me, it would be something along the lines of what was discussed earlier. Orc slayer would either cause orcs to fear or become furious at the sigh of it. This way it is a plus OR negative.(not one but both) Let's say old Pendragon slayed 1000 mongbats, his staff morphed into Pendragon's black staff of mongbat slaying, there is no need for it to do anything other the cast a extra mongbat into the fray or even cast a glowing light in a dark place. (Other then provoking a reaction from every mongbat.) Anything other then +/- to damage that is just laziness.

I get some people will want some great benefit of it, others will find it op, while yet others my find it a waste of code. I just think this could be a fun thing it game, it doesn't have to do anything productive in combat, to the player to add value to the game. I think some "cursed" items could be worked in so not only do they have a negative, but they could be useful also.

20. Margard

Margard Avatar

In agreement

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.