Sword or Orc Slaying You say?

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Pendragon, Jan 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I totally agree with Owain about the love of gear.

This is why I like Lord British's system for getting titles for items by your own use of the weapon, and not waiting for the next tier of gear gets released. However as I stated in an earlier post that only the most refined, and top level crafted items should be allowed to get titles/bonuses. It doesn't make sense that a normal sword would be known as "the orc slayer" when it is just a normal sword. If it's called an orc slayer or any kind of slayer it really should be a top notch special blade of supreme quality. Legendary swords cannot be normal crap swords.

This also means that the whole love of gear thing is not an issue. It will be player character based, and we can only get the best gear from player made items. If levels aren't exponentially more powerful I seriously doubt that player made items will be exponentially more powerful. If it is like it was in the early days with UO where some items are Vanquishing, power..., and durable, or whatever ... the gear issue will be fine.

The only draw to these items would be their quality and gaining titles on the weapons. Which is kind of cosmetic in a way instead of being more powerful.

2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Says who?

Items, and/or magic, imbued by the owner/user, do not need intelligence to have an alignment, and is exactly so in the very D&D you mentioned.

A mage casting a circle of protection from good, doesn't make the actual circle area intelligent.

It just prevents good aligned characters from entering or taking additional penalties if they do.

The circle is still a magic construct with zero intelligence.

3. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

What I like, even some critical criticism thinking, is that people who are posting ideas that might spawn other ideas for other people. Working through these ideas without just dismissing them might potentially have a ground breaking breakthrough. I know I have had thoughts pop into my head just from reading some interesting ideas. I applaud all who might think out of the box and I encourage more, not discourage it.

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

Shameless plug for example this thread A different take on Looting and PvP , idea may not be earth shattering but it didn't stop me from posting it ... lol

5. Pendragon

Pendragon Avatar

In the woods looking for a wandering healer.

This a hundred time YES!

I agree, just in this thread my thoughts have been influenced from the original "idea". I haven't always been the most civil in my posting career elsewhere. I read something Firelotus wrote a while back and realized I was part of the problem i saw in different game communities. So before I ever posted here I decided I would try and not discount someone elses ideas and feelings so easily. Although some stuff here and there has got my ire up, I've remained civil. We have a chance to become a great community, unlike any other out there, if we just remain mindful of eachothers feelers.

6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Hrm, I just thought of another idea, its funny because I try not to think to much lol. Ok here it is. For guilds, maybe they could have a guild brand on their weapons and armor. Or a guild brand that any one of the guild crafters could place on what they make. Each guild would have their own brand, maybe it could be a mini heraldic image. In a full loot mode it would be considered spoils of war and potential trophies for opposing guilds. (I still believe that you should be able to collect heads also as a trophy.) Guild branding might be used for rp also as spies might try to infiltrate wearing another guilds armor. (planned ahead of time scenarios) Lots of possibilities.

7. Margard

Margard Avatar

On a side note ... Baron Avorin Swiftslay ... are you going to run for president any time soon your approval rating is off the charts (332/281) ... I guess the title of Baron must make you very popular with the ladies ... lol

8. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

you're correct. I forgot about the details of weapons with alignments in D&D

10. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

If they make it so there is just players killing other players all day every day, with no criminal act or criminal flag, what fun will it be to play in pvp mode? Just because you decide to play open pvp mode does not mean its just going to be a slaughter fest. That would get boring and annoying REALLY fast.

Margard likes this.
  11. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

There should still be a way to make some weapons better then others. Not just titles or names. I kind of like the idea for orc slaying OR, The best top notch sword would require a piece dropped from lets say a dragon that is hard to bring down, also a piece from a demon, then the crafter would have to make the weapon and possibly a mage would have to enchant it.

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I agree that there must be a way to make some weapons better than others.... That's why I'm saying let weapons that gain titles be of the highest quality to before even being able to gain a title.

How can you have a sword become legendary that isn't already special to begin with?

Also I'm coming from the perspective that there won't be ever increasing tiers of gear. Like Owain says, "The love of gear"... something or another.... either way it's insanity!!! The love of gear is insanity that's all that's important. Ever increasing tiers of gear will ruin this game.

With that in mind say that a weapon is classified as Vanquishing (most damaging) and Durable (greater than average durability), and we stay with in reason using a specified range of qualities for items. (which I understood during kickstarter would be their plan anyway) This way we can focus on customizing our character rather than trying to acquire the next release of new epic items that make you exponentially more powerful than last quarter's tier... on and on to making the original items obsolete.

The weapons created the first year of SotA should remain relevant till .... I don't know until a meteorite hits the earth destroying the USA resulting in an unrecoverable server failure for SotA. Otherwise they should remain relevant.

13. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

My question is how do they keep PVE and PVP balanced as far as items and drops off monsters or quests? How do you kill a beast that took lets say 20 people to kill and not drop a sword that when looted, little Johnny is jumping for joy? haha

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Why would there be a beast that took 20 people to kill when this game is going to have a single player componant. I don't know if they will make such creatures, but if they do I hope they have a lot of the best "player made" weapons and armor along with specialty items. Increase in quantity of itmes, not power of items for such a creature.

The drops will be items made by players. Tougher creatures will likely drop treasure, and specialty items. However if they do drop weapons they will be weapons crafted by a player. At least that's how I understand it to be so far.

Either way it doesn't appear that you will be finding fighting items that are more powerful than player made items. If you do they will be rare.

15. Margard

Margard Avatar

You just don't have it drop a "sword that Little Johnny swoons for" ... maybe it drops a resourced used to craft a durable sword or one that has an affinity to kill a specific mob

I'ts become common to "raid" and have those raids drop "rare gear" but it does not have to be that way

just my take

16. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do believe in single player you might have some npc's along with you on your journey, not sure though.

17. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Rare OR, Like I said earlier, it might have been a different thread......It could drop a rare piece or pattern or "blue print" that only the highest crafter can assemble or make. Plus of course the treasures , gold, other items or gear, jewelry etc.

18. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

And yes there is a single player base, but, what fun is traveling in guilds or friends if it only takes you by yourself to take down a King beast in his thrown. It would be much for fun and challenge to take it down with force, strategy, and friends.... Healers , wizards, archers , and warriors!

19. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Agreed 100%

20. Praefectus

Praefectus Avatar

Let us kill that beast an get his phat loot!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.