Symantec thinks SotAInstaller is a virus...???

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SirAthan, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirAthan

SirAthan Avatar

I just tried downloading the SotAInstaller.exe and Symantec keeps erasing the files saying it has a threat named "WS.Reputation.1". Does anyone know what is going on? Should I install the SotAInstaller.exe and block the Norton Symantec Virus Checker?

Thanks,

Pat M.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack thinks that SotA got reported for P2P traffic. Most certainly not a virus, suspend Symantec and accomplish your task and then resume it.

Umbrae and Time Lord like this.
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Mine keep going straight to play screen? i hope SoTA peeps are working on it! it was working a few days ago patching in the updates!

Time Lord likes this.
  4. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

AV software is basically evil. It thinks that every program which updates itself is bad. And since this is basically all programs these days, there's not much you can do.

Tarsin and Time Lord like this.
  5. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Not all AV software is terrible. Most of it is, but AVG, Avast!, and Microsoft Security Essentials are all decent free options, while BitDefender and Malwarebytes are good paid options.

Umbrae and Time Lord like this.
  6. smack

smack Avatar

WS.Reputation.1 is a generic "threat" that merely looks at certain file attributes and whether or not this file is popular.
    So I restored the file and manually checked it using Norton Insight and it said only a few hundred Norton users have this file, thereby the low reputation score. So I just manually "trusted" it using Norton Insight and just increased the reputation by 1. :)

For a game about virtues, SotA is starting out with a bad reputation. The Oracle won't be pleased. :p

Time Lord likes this.
  7. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

If the AV world were a farm then Symantec would be the decrepit stallion that does very little any more except fart at embarrassing moments and occasionally wees on the stable hands. Honestly it should have been put out to pasture a very long time ago. Either that or have been turned into Bird's Eye ready meals (you probably only get this reference if you live in Europe but to cut a long story short, several of our highly trusted and respected food chains decided that basically horses and cows were roughly the same).

DF.

Sir Mike Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  8. smack

smack Avatar

Truly insightful! So who would be the cow, goat, pig, sheep, and chickens? :rolleyes:

prospereau, Time Lord and Lord Trenyc like this.
  9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    prospereau Said;

If the AV world were a farm then Symantec would be the decrepit stallion that does very little any more except fart at embarrassing moments and occasionally wees on the stable hands. Honestly it should have been put out to pasture a very long time ago. Either that or have been turned into Bird's Eye ready meals (you probably only get this reference if you live in Europe but to cut a long story short, several of our highly trusted and respected food chains decided that basically horses and cows were roughly the same).

DF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [​IMG]
    Try, "New Bird's Eye Ready Meals", Because All Soylent is not the Same... ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, prospereau and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Athelstan

Athelstan Avatar

One question... where did you download it from? You should download it only from a link you obtained from shroudoftheavatar.com. If you did....

You should submit it to Symantec for false positive verification... that way they will add it into their exceptions once they look at it. I don't use Symantec but if it's like my antivirus you should have the option to report.

The program that my antivirus always gets concerned about is:
    xdelta3.exe
    It is usually located in \Portalarium\Shroud of the Avatar\Launcher_Data

You might try "allowing" that program and see if it quits complaining.

The rule on mine is allow xdelta3.exe to create the following executables : Shroud of the avatar.exe, assembly-csharp.dll, assembly-csharp-firstpass.dll

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Sundews

Sundews Avatar

Sota may be considered a disease.......

Time Lord, Crikey and smack like this.
  12. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

The free avast! has not let me down so far, I manually scanned the SotA folder and it did not detect anything.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Mac version is great as no av needed! ;)

Keira, The One and Time Lord like this.
  14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Most paid AV and malware products will detect BitTorrent and flag it. In fact this is not the first thread about this. :) There is nothing wrong or dangerous about BitTorrent with how SOTA uses it (only to get patches), but these companies usually fall under the pressure from Copyright regimes who see BitTorrent as nothing but a piracy engine.

Not to mention Symantec is known to do what is called Whitelisting, which means you can pay them to have the scanner ignore your software. This is not well known, but if you are in the software business long enough you end up getting sales calls about this stuff. I am betting Portalarium probably did not pay them, so they will warn you about anything they can.

There is a school of thought that Anti-virus and malware are not even effective protection anymore. Most true problems are zero day viruses that are unfixed by vendors and haven't not had virus or malware definitions made yet. Usually, if the problem is really bad, the vendor has fixed and patched the system before the antivirus has caught up. I would never say don't run it, but if you trust the software you are running ignoring antivirus warning is ok. In fact, buried in the instruction text for most applications they recommend disabled antivirus and malware software when installing and updating. However, I doubt many people do this if they even see the message in the small text of the installation instructions. :)

BTW, I can also vouch for Avast. They are a little tricky with trying to get you to pay for the paid version, but the free version works great.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I meant the Linux version from my USB stick!

Keira, The One and Time Lord like this.
  16. prospereau

prospereau Avatar

Well I'm putting a vote in for McAfee as the pig. Anyone who's ever tried to use it will know what wallowing in pig poo feels like.

DF.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I can write AV software that doesn't find anything. That's not really an accomplishment. :)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

Shroud of the Avatar... spreading like a virus to millions and millions of computers around the globe... that would be a potential WOW killer... LOL ^_^

Time Lord and Duke Gréagóir like this.
  19. Ker

Ker Avatar

Since I have had this happen to me too with a number of files I intended to download and install, I want to share this solution I found to be working for Norton Internet Security (NIS).

Please note that the underlined references to NIS functions may not be exactly what you'll see in the English version of NIS, they should however be a close match.

When you get what you think is a false positive:
    - if the site you downloaded the file from is a reputable site
    - and if a search on the internet shows the file to be safe and the problem to be a false positive

You can do the following (always at your own risk):
    - Open Norton Internet Security using the shortcut
    - Go to Settings
    - Make sure the Computer tab is selected
    - Click on the Configure button to the right of Computerscan
    - Click on Add and then on Files
    - Navigate to and select the file you want to exclude
    - Click OK

The file will now appear in the exclusion window and will be left alone by Norton Internet Security.

As a final remark: preventing malware from bringing harm to your PC is becoming harder and harder as it has become impossible to work from a list of known exploits. As a result good antivirus software needs to use heuristic scanning that identifies potentially dangerous suspect or dangerous behaviour and blocks/removes it to prevent it from doing harm to your computer. Personally I think it is a small price to pay for an important added layer of security since you can always turn it off for files you know to be OK.

I hope this helps!

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.