Systems with 8 GB or less memory

Discussion in 'Hardware, Software, Tech' started by Berek, Dec 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

@Berek any idea if there are plans to support SLi? or Multi-GPU set ups? Apparently there needs to be some kind of SLi Profile as part of the code...if I understnad it right. I also Noticed that Armored warfare doesnt handle SLi well at all either....and am wondering if this might be the cause of me falling through the world on occasion.

2. Katu

Katu Avatar

Sli or crossfire is handled in code same way as a single gpu. Infact, gpu or sli or cf is all presented to programmer with exactly same api functions. So theres quite little what programmer can do, excluding tweaks on rendering phase that may not even matter that much.
    Sli and cf support and performance comes from the drivers. So, unless amd and nvidia create a patch for the game, those might or not, boost the game.

3. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

While there are other factors, I believe once you're past a certain point with your hardware it's down to the networking as all the things you list get visibly slower the less reliable the connection I am using. Friends mode has less hitching because it reduces the networking to just you <-> Port from you <-> Port <-> all other players in scene. I'd like to know if Port use any tools like clumsy to simulate different network conditions when testing.

4. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Well, i play 95% of my time in friends and i am hitching really really bad the more often i switch zones and the longer i play.

5. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

Thanks for the response! I heard in a recent telethon, you guys were asked what is the number one thing they would like to see before launch, and Darkstarr said performance improvements. :) I thought that was a great answer.

6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Yes, there is also the memory leak related stuff, I see that also, but the lag for harvesting etc. in the post I replied to I see in a freshly started client on a weak network connection.

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

ESO system requirements as of May 2017 for the purposes of comparison. Don't expect to get much out of the game with the minimum system req. Note that it took the ESO devs years (after launch) to optimize & revamp the game :

PC - Minimum System Requirements:
    • CPU: Intel Core i3 540 or AMD A6-3620
    • RAM: 3GB
    • Hard Drive: 85GB free HDD space
    • GPU: DirectX 11 compliant video card with 1 GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce 460 / AMD Radeon 6850) or higher
    • Sound Card: DirectX compatible
    • Internet broadband connection
    PC - Recommended System Requirements:
    • CPU: Intel Core i5 2300 or AMD FX4350
    • RAM: 8GB
    • Hard Drive: 85GB free HDD space
    • GPU: DirectX 11 compliant video card with 2 GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 or AMD Radeon HD 7850) or higher
    source : https://www.gamespot.com/articles/elder-scrolls-online-morrowind-system-requirements/1100-6449833/

Kabalyero likes this.
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

There's no way you're going to get this game to run on 8 GB or less of RAM.

9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Might be a silly question but is there any way to disable grass and tree leaves swaying in the "wind" ?

My GPU seems to overheat when there is too much lighting and moving polygons... this can't be good.

I was happy when we got the options for shadows...

I can run most games @beautiful over 30FPS... SOTA with fastest setting I get 8-10 fps in empty adventure scenes...

Disabling more optional effects can only be good... any option to remove reflective lighting too ?

10. Katu

Katu Avatar

Overheat? What are the temps? GPU will not overheat, unless its super dirty, broken or overclocked.

The Hendoman likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Well sure I tried to overclock it... that seemed like my only option. Did not look like it melted or anything the included program prevents that, but it sure loses performance pretty quick when I enter scenes with alot of vegetation.

12. Katu

Katu Avatar

Well, You should monitor the temperatures on that one. Run a FurMark with temp monitor and see if it rises to 90+ (Celcius). Just like CPU, GPU also underclocks to save it from smelting. If it really goes that high, with default GPU clocks, its waiting for replacement. I have had my previous CPU run over 100C ( boiling water ) and it still survived it. Each device has its own top continuos temperature it can handle, defined by creator.

Anyhow, sounds to me you are indeed pushing it to boundaries, so either upgrade it or downgrade your visual effects radically. This game demands way too much from the computer, than what it gives. There does not seem to be anything that disables vegetation, but start from the lowest settings and add effects one by one.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  13. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats the thing... I can run other games just fine, its just with SOTA and a few other unity games that I have this problem. I have the lowest setting on, with no options... not even one.

I want more options to toggle off, I could care less about grass swaying in a fake wind... it looks bad IMO anyways (trees are kinda better but still)...

3devious likes this.
  14. DeadSpider

DeadSpider Avatar

Ok so my ram came in today. For some reason it will no longer run at 2400mhz but instead at 2133mhz. Its this exact same kit as the other just with higher capacity... but O-Well.

In game on the World Map I did not notice any difference. In Owlshead I get less stuttering and it seems like the stuff on player owned properties loads much faster. Same thing for loading into POT Lockbrier and POT Serenity Isle. I run into invisible things a lot less, so far. Not saying I don't, just not as much or as for long. I only tested for a bit as I am limited on time but I must say.... Increasing ram from 8gb to 24gb netted me a noticeable improvement.

Almost forgot; Ram committed to SotA was a bit higher than before but I did not see it get any higher than the 8.5gb area. Anyone notice if SotA uses any more than that on their computers at any given time or is this basically the upper limits it will use?

Updated Specs
    Cpu: A10-7850k
    Gpu: R9 380 4gb
    Ram 24gb ddr3 2133
    Disk: 256gb SSD

15. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i see things getting janky after several hours and scene changes when the process gets to ~13-14 of my 16, but linux uses a different renderer so that may not be applicable to you.

16. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

You may have to go into the BIOS and select the OC profile for the RAM for it to run at 2400 Mhz. Basically these RAM sticks are all based off a particular "stock" speed and then loaded with an OC profile that you'd turn on in the BIOS to achieve the advertised speed/timing/etc.

17. DeadSpider

DeadSpider Avatar

It would not post with the 4 sticks in at 2400 with their rated timings via XMP. With 2 sticks of eaither set it post fine. Im not well versed in fine tuning ram so I may have adjusted something the wrong way.

Either way I am pleased with the performance it has given to the game. I do wonder if jumping from 2133 to 2400 would give a noticble inprovement? If not, I am fine with it being down a bit.

18. Katu

Katu Avatar

RAM speed affects little to none when running games. Also, RAMs with variety of speeds, always run at the speed of slowest.

DeadSpider, Numa and GrayFog like this.
  19. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

It actually depends on the game as well. But yeah, it's not really badly needed to run 3200 Mhz or so RAM...

DeadSpider likes this.
  20. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

wow... when I tried ESO during the CBT weekends it was so painful to play... but with this min requirements, I guess I won't have issues playing ESO now... hmmmm now tempted to get it...

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.