Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tab target = easy mode in PvP

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Murdock, Jul 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

We have defined predetermined rules. One of those is tabbed targeting. Most folks are just fine with that. If you think that makes things too easy, don't use it.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

;)

Time Lord likes this.
  3. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

While I prefer aiming based systems to target based systems, you'd have to build everything that style, like Tera / Neverwinter. This changes camera, movement, skills, all of the thing which they've already gone a different direction with.

I don't know that I'd call it "easy mode." In PvP, nothing's easier if people have the same rules.

Time Lord and marthos like this.
  4. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack agrees with the OP, it is easy mode. Captain Jack also thinks that it is here to stay, PvP players will need their macros so that they can outsource their slow twitch response to programs which are faster than humans to maximize their destruction.

Captain Jack also disagrees with the concepts of, if you don't like it leave, and, if you want a challenge then don't use it. Because Captain Jack, and you all should be, is well aware that if you don't engage in MAD tactics, then you'll have your face handed to you by a a super macro axe master with a billion skill points in slashing axe skills.

Captain Jack thinks it is easy to simply retort with, don't like it get out, but thinks that intelligent discourse and critical thinking is required. Captain Jack thinks that we all be more intelligent as a whole and have a discussion on the topic and not a race to see how fast we can tell someone to get out or assure their in game destruction by not using features that every PvP player will be smashing into their keyboards with applications outside the game at an alarming superhuman frequency.

5. marthos

marthos Avatar

FWIW, I prefer "aiming" to tab-targeting. It may be a bit too much though with the deck system where your eye is drawn to your quickslot bar more than in other games where the keystrokes needed to attack are static. I liked ESO's system a lot, but again, it was a very simple quickslot configuration.

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Define success. Darkfall has what, 5k players tops? Please don't use them as an example...if they were successful, you'd be playing that right now instead of worrying about SOTA pvp.

Still, I think you have a good point about the auto targeting. There's also currently a exploit where you can find people "close to you" but hidden simply by using TAB. This is going to require some serious balance as we move on through development.

Time Lord and LeosTemplar like this.
  7. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

I'm pretty sure it had macros from the beginning. At least it seems to me like I was using Alt+L for last target since the beginning.

8. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

I have to agree with Lord Trady and everyone else who endorsed the tab to next/nearest target.
    And as was commented by sir Owain, UO had workarounds using dark macros.

The 'TAB' option is much better/advanced and i realy don't see how making it harder to target would be an immersive and/or positive feature.
    I'd also like to share that the best Player vs Player experience i had with MMOs was with DAOC, and it hat "Tab to target", "F to Follow" (Character would stick and follow the target in melee range) and "T to Face" (Character would keep facing the target, so Attacks/Spells/Actions wouldn't run out of 'line of sight'. I can assure you none of those never broke and never will break your immersion into PVP.

Let me add that I congratulate your efforts in trying to make the game better.

мир

Time Lord and Khloec like this.
  9. Owain

Owain Avatar

I'm not sure what you mean by 'dark macros'. I was talking about the built in macro system of UO itself. It had numerous predefined macros to target players and mobs in a wide variety of ways. If anything, SotA should define more targeting key commands so as to be more like UO.

10. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I was under the impression that TAB targeting was in there because they hadn't perfected the mouse select method to their liking yet. I have no idea really.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

Keyboard targeting has been pretty standard in most of the MMOs I've played. Some people prefer mouse targeting, some prefer a keyboard command. It's best to offer both, and let players decide which method they prefer. The interface is filled with examples of redundant ways to accomplish the same task. Use the method you prefer.

12. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Slug.

I think it is really just the first step in deploying system(the best combat system ever) for the Omega client described here from the Dev++ forum.

Tab targeting = enabling of macro via micro.

Slug.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Leostemplar

Leostemplar Avatar

Yes, yes! That's exactly what I'm talking about.
    I've named them 'Dark Macros' because UO's key mapping screen (I think it was called 'Macro Options') used to give me goosebumps, lol.
    I was too young at that time, from 10-15 years old and I'm quite sure I never understood the full potential of that screen.

мир

Time Lord likes this.
  14. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

Captain Jack has some good points here. It's pretty easy to set up an AHK script to tab through all the players in the battle, have pixel detection set up to detect who has the least amount of health and begin auto casting. It may sound pretty difficult but you would be surprised how many people can throw together a script like this. Besides that, all it takes is one guy to make the script and make it available to download and it will become a required standard for anyone who PvPs and wants to be competitive. This opens up an entirely new can of worms.

For me, this would make for a generic experience. I see a lot of opinions expressing negative feelings towards a non tab targeting PvP system but no one has really offered any valid reasoning. There seems to be an overwhelmingly large number of pros AGAINST tab targeting.

And yes, tab targeting is the standard but correct me if I am wrong... I think as far as SotA is concerned, the standard is not the goal here. You haven't provided any evidence to support your claim that tab targeting will be such a benefit to SotA PvP.

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

How is pushing tab X number of times to target the right enemy in any way easier than clicking the right enemy? I'm not factoring situations where mobs are stacked on top of each other such that click targeting is impossible since that is a technical limitation of the click system.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

I found both methods woefully inadequate in R8. Can't target players too far away was one problem. Kept losing my target (maybe mis-click the spell a little?).

Of the two, tab was more reliable/easier because someone hiding behind an object with part of their body sticking out was impossible to target for me with the mouse. But on the other hand Tab didn't seem to take into account direction I was facing and it would target players behind me and to the sides.

I was wishing for a drag-a-box (e.g. like dragging with the left mouse down to select multiple files) where you could draw a box around the player to target them. I mean really, I can see you standing there I should be able to target you.

docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
  17. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

Traditionally Tab targets the nearest enemy, not necessarily the nearest enemy that is also in front of you. Personally, I prefer being able to set a focus target and use a separate key combination to target my focused target. That has been a way more useful tool for me in every role I've ever played.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Owain

Owain Avatar

I don't know what you mean by proof. Keyboard targeting is a useful option used by many players. From that alone, it is obvious that it will be a benefit to SotA PvP. Many of the paying customers want it.

19. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I am fine with tab targeting.

Not because I need an 'easy' button in PVP.

But because I think about the behaviors that happen without it.

Without tab targeting, PVP can become a game where people just wildly jump around to avoid being hit. While that may be a fair strategy, it also is just not fun IMO as it makes the game be about a rather dull game mechanic about clicking a jumping target versus spending time being more tactical/strategic in the use of real combat skills in the game.

With line of sight in game, obstacles in the environment should become what players use in PVP to avoid being hit if they are targeted. Not endless jumping.

docdoom77, LeosTemplar, Retro and 2 others like this.
  20. TheOneEyedJack

TheOneEyedJack Avatar

The endless jumping wont happen because it eats up focus, jumping around a lot will not be beneficial. I'm not against an auto target after you've been attacked. I like the idea of a players ability to avoid being targeted though.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.