Tale of the Red Hat Gnomes - Part 2

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Mingo, May 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

( Fire Lotus Tavern film at 11) --Bov frowned. "I"m not sure I like this picture show so much. I miss the human touch of an actual live Bard telling a tale."
    --FireAngel nodded, "I think this part of the tale is coming to a close. Perhaps Mingo will return for the telling of Part III."
    --"Trilogies seem to be in vogues these days," Gerta commented editorially.
    --.....and the moving pictures on the wall continued.....
    (In the Guaca Desert, just outside the underground fortress of Robin, master of moles, chef, archer, and widely known jolly purveyor of canned corn.....)
    --Krisskar held aloft his massive staff and pointed it upward and slightly toward the sea, which was only a quarter mile or so to the south. Hissing something incomprehensible he caused a beam of bright light to issue forth into the darkening evening sky. His companions blinked away the irritation caused by the brightness, which lasted only momentarily and heard Krisskar say. "There. Sshe sshould ssee that." Turning to his friends he informed them, "Tomorrow at dawn a boat will arrive for me. I Sshall leave then, but I can take any who wish back to Lyra'ss boat." Then he turned and headed into the cool darkness of the Green Mole's cave complex.
    --Robin of the Neighborhood turned to Ed, and asked in the manner of an old acquaintance, "Is he dangerous?"
    --"Oh yes," Ed replied in a matter of fact manner. "Very."
    --Terra then asked Robin, "Say, Lyra here bakes a fabulous Rose Petal Koffee Kake. Do you have any roses?"
    --"Wha yayes," Robin nodded and smiled at Lyra, pleased to find another with interest in his hobby. "Ah have never heered of such a recipe.
    --"I'll trade you in return for teaching me how to make that green dip Ed and Terra say is so good." Lyra offered.
    --"Deal!" Robin said in a jolly manner. "Come now and Ah'll get out some dips and chips for ya'll to snack on while Ah start fixin' dinner."
    --Across the sea the beacon from Krisskar's wand was seen, and a small boat was dispatched to sail the lonely sea towards him. About 20 feet long and 10 wide, it was a double prowed open boat, with the prows carved....one into a kind of reptilian face, the other in the form of a woman. A solitary figure watched the boat sail away. Pregnant she was and rubbed her large belly. "I think I can hold off until he gets here," she said idly speaking towards her stomach. "I hope you can wait a bit more, Kozue."

2. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the demesnes of the Green Mole of the Guaca Desert) --"Scuse me a second," Robin said as he turned to a hall tree with a seat. Taking off his boots he slipped on some comfortable looking shoes, humming "Da Da Dee Dee De Da Da Da Deeeee Dee Dum...." Then standing he took off his green jerkin and put on a sweater.
    --"Welcome to my neighborhood!" beamed Mister Robin.
    --"Somewhere," Lyra said with a shake of her head, "Facepalms are proliferating."

3. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the demesnes of the Green Mole of the Guaca Desert) --Lyra followed Robin off to the kitchen, leaving the rest of the group to relax in comfortable settees encircling a small table upon which was place a bowl of green goo and some kind of baked chips. Krisskar, being green, was curious and adventurously scooped up some of the gloop with a chip and popped it into his mouth. His eyes closed and a shudder passed over him.
    --"Shoo! Go away!" Lyra yelled at the shudder, hopping up to swat at it.
    --"Whaddya think of the dip, Krisskar?" Ed asked, observing the effect the condiment had elicited from the mage.
    --"He iss irritating," Krisskar answered. "Oh. You don't mean Hamster. Well I mussst ssay, I am ssoo impressed with this sstuff that I think I will never need to eat it again. Ever."
    --"Speaking of Hamster," Mingo spoke, in quotes as he was being shown via magical projection and not physically present narrating, "What is BlueBell doing over there?"
    --At the far end of this small room, actually a cavern, BlueBell had placed the Hamster Ball into a large fireplace with a natural draft chimney leading upward. Happily singing a tune about the world being small after all, which her companions wished they could un-hear, BlueBell piled wood and charcoal about the base of the sphere.
    --Lyra entered the room wiping flour off her hands on a newly borrowed apron. "Oh, Mistress Lyra!" BlueBell called. "Please come and light this fire for me!"
    --"Certainly, Princess," Lyra answered, and with a wave of her hand flame engulfed the fire wood and charcoal. ("I find fire magic quite useful in cooking!" Lyra had said several times on the journey.)
    --Reeking black smoke generated from the heated plastic ball thankfully was drawn up the natural draft chimney. Mostly, anyway. Hamster stood glaring in the sphere, arms crossed, tapping his foot. "Hit the sphere with more fire please," BlueBell entreated Lyra, who did so, such that the sphere was totally engulfed in flame.
    --And then there was a very very loud CRACK! as BlueBell caused a shower of water to douse the flaming sphere. It shattered to reveal an irritated Hamster, standing in the fire. "Thanks," he intoned un-cheerfully.
    --"You did it to yourself you know," BlueBell chided.
    --"Yeah yeah," grumbled Hamster. "Chaos is not predictable."
    --"You sshould do that more often, Rodent," Krisskar said dead pan. "It wass mosst entertaining."
    --"I can't revive this," Lyra looked sadly at the dead pan. "too bad, it looks like it could make good cakes."

4. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the demesnes of the Green Mole of the Guaca Desert) --Lyra shook her head in sympathy at the gnome mage. "I always suspected you were a hothead," she said chuckling. "Lucky you gnomes are heat proof."
    --Hamster sighed and shrugged, waving his arms about to cool down faster. He raised an eyebrow in consternation at Lyra and said nothing, which was quite out of character. Lyra then invited the party to take seats at the large table in the adjoining dining room, as dinner was nearly ready.
    --"I hope," Jeb whispered to Shania, "This chef isn't one of those fancy smancy types who thinks their food is so good they don't have to give you very much to eat!"
    --"Yeah,"agreed Shania. "I actually could go for an all you can eat buffet right now."
    --"Dinner is served!" called out their host as he trundled in a large cart with covered dishes. Lyra helped him pass out the food laden plates, noting one specifically reserved for Krisskar.
    --"On tonite's menu we have catfish, fried except for Krisskar whose fish was prepared by Lyra. Also we have turnip greens, hushpuppies, corn, and fried okra. Oh, and coldslaw."
    --"Catses give me gass," Krisskar grimaced. Lyra, seated next to him said in a reassuring voice, "Cat FISH, my dear, slightly broiled the way you like."
    --Jeb was mollified to see the heaping amount of food on his plate. "Pass that pepper sauce please," he said motioning toward a small bottle, which he liberally applied to his turnip greens.
    --A pitcher of cold tea, very strong was passed around to be poured into the guest's ice filled glasses. "Saweet tea," advised Robin. "The sugar was added when it was hot."
    --for the gnomes odd little fish shaped cracker looking things were served. "What are these?" BlueBell inquired skeptically.
    --"Ahhh, ma dear," Robin answered. "Deep in this escarpment is a layer of sandstone which once lay beneath the sea. The rock is permeated with fossilized sea life aged carefully over long long years. Ah hope you like it."
    --"Nice," Hamster said. "Crunchy, with a hint of salt."
    --"I like salt," BlueBell smiled. "Also sugar. Give me a small glass of that saweet tea please."
    --For dessert Lyra presented her metaverse-wide famous Rose Petal Koffee Kake, to everyone's delight.
    --Mingo stood andstepped back a bit, beginning to sing:
    Pasttime in good company
    I love and shall until I die.
    Gruch who lust, but none deny
    So God be praised, thus live will I.
    For my pastance; hunt, sing, and dance.
    My heart is set. So goodly sport, for my comfort,
    Who shall me let?
    --There were two more verses, attibuted to a king of ancient lands, the eighth Henry. It was a pleasant evening.

5. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the exit tunnel of the Green Mole) --The magic picture on the wall of the FireLotus Tavern showed a view from within a tunnel, looking outward toward a faint glow of dawn in the east. The glow was subdued as thunderclouds filled the sky. Lightning flashed and the rain poured in torrents. A figure stood there, it was a bard, long hair and beard blowing in the wind as he stood and looked out upon the deluge.
    --Another figure walked into view. Tall. Holding a large staff. The two stood together,occasionally dampened by rain that drifted into the tunnel, for they were not far from the opening. A particularly strong lightning bolt hit the escarpment very close by, with an almost instantaneous crack of thunder afterward. "I can't compete with that," Krisskar said. "...but you can."
    --(In the FireLotus Tavern) --"What do you think he meant by that?" Ariela asked Gabriel.
    --Before Gabriel could posit a theory a voice said from the doorway to the viewing room. "I can tell you."
    --Mingo had returned to the Fire Lotus Tavern.

6. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the FireLotus Tavern) --"Mingo," Bov asked puzzled. "What was the meaning of what Krisskar said to you?"
    --I'm sure a troubled look came to my face, for the observation made by Krisskar that day was strongly marked in my mind. "The strength of battle is not in the sword," I answered, "but in the song."
    --Ariella nodded. "Reality is defined, not observed."
    --Charia then chirped merrily, "Oh, good! That means I am me!"
    --FireAngel seemed puzzled. "Reality? Songs? This babble is beyond me."
    --Trying to clarify I began to state a rather obtuse line of reasoning, then stopped and said simply, "I am here. My words will remain for ages in the cloud, and the stories I sing will live on beyond me, beyond my avatar in RL, and even beyond this place we gather. The lightning strike was a manifestation of temporary, localized power, but what Krisskar meant was that the songs told by Bards live on, long long after the people in the songs fade away."
    --"Oh," said TimeLord with understanding.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

(In the FireLotus Tavern)

Suddenly a shadowed figure slowly walks through the entrance to the Tavern, his face covered by a hooded cloak. Although you cannot see his full face, you catch a scar on his left chin fading down to his neck disappearing beneath the intricate carved collar of his leather tunic. He may look like hes not paying attention to his surroundings, but he has "already learned the layout of the Tavern, Who's in here and where they are located". He takes a seat at a back table in the shadows. Back to the cold stone wall. He hands some coin to the barmaid, and she abruptly places a flask of wine on the table and two goblets, there is only one other person in here that knows who this man is, for the others are oblivious to who just sat down at the back table! For if they knew they surly would've paid their tabs, and left with their lives intact! The one other person that knows who this is, knows that he is not here for business, at least not for tonight! She then lets out a small grin, barely noticeable to the others but noticed by him , she knows if anything, she is safe here while "The Ebon Viper" is also here! He has come tonight to listen to his favorite Bard, even though that Bard does not know this!

8. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the FireLotus Tavern) --"copy.....control....v...." I muttered. "saves sooo much time...."
    --"What?" quizzed Gerta, who uncharacteristically sat down across from me at the table. "never mind, go on with your story, and don't forget the little girl."
    --"Little girl...." I pondered. Then with widening eyes I smiled, "Keeada-chan!"
    --"Try, try hard," FireAngel pleaded, "to make at least a little sense?"
    --"Ah, yes," I began. "It was the end of a dark and stormy night....." the small crowd groaned at the variation on an old chestnut. "The torrential rain stopped, and Krisskar and I stepped out into the open.
    --"Glancing toward the sea we saw a small figure approaching. It appeared to be a child, a small girl oddly dressed. She wore a long, flower print robe of sorts, with large squarish sleeves. About her midriff was wrapped a wide belt of some kind, tied in a huge bow at the small of her back. Her feet were shod in unusual white stockings, that had a separate partition for the large toe, which was needed as her shoes had a simple thong type fastening into which her feet were slipped.
    --"Jet black hair, cut into bangs, hung down long on either side of her face and was tied with two ribbons. Her hair framed sparkling dark eyes with pronounced epicanthic folds. Across her shoulder was thrown a folded towel looking piece of cloth. She might have been about ten years old but had about her an air of confidence and knowingness....."
    --I then noticed a man and woman nearby who seemed to be listening in on my story. I acknowledged and welcomed them with a smile and a nod, then continued. "The girl marched up to Krisskar, spread out the cloth before him, then kneeled on it and placed her hands on the ground, one atop the other. Bowing with her head touching her hands she then said something in a language unknown to me at the time, but I have since learned a few words."
    --"Kon nichi wa, Kaweeska-Sama," said the little girl, who then rose to an erect kneeling position. "Watashi wa Apisada Keeada, des."
    --Krisskar, in a voice and manner I thought unnecessarily gruff, made some kind of grunt in answer, then added, "Kon nichi wa, Keeada-chan." He then extended his hand to help her rise. To my surprise she took it without hesitation.....it surprised me because Krisskar had foregone wearing his gauntlets. This was the first time I saw that he had only three, scaled fingers, with claws, and an oddly placed thumb.
    (In the FireLotus Tavern)--"Skweaaaaallla...." Gerta said under her breath. "Damn."
    (back in the Guaca Desert)--"Krisskar and Keeada chatted a bit in this unknown language, the girl gesturing toward the seashore where I could see a boat tied to the shore and bobbing in the surf. The word "Apisada" was mentioned frequently. Then Krisskar waved to her in a manner I interpreted, wrongly, to be a parting. But when he turned the child followed him. "Come," he said to me. "I musst leave ssoon."

9. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the FireLotus Tavern) --I continued my story to the little group in the tavern. Long stories are best told to small numbers of people. For crowds, rowdy tavern songs or short quips are better received.
    --(at the breakfast table of Robin of the Hood, the jolly green mole of the desert) --Little Keeada sat next to Krisskar, who from time to time spoke to her in that odd language. Robin and Lyra entered, again with the cart of covered dishes. "Breakfast is saurved!" Robin called cheerfully. Shania glared at him; not a morning person she.
    --Lyra announced the breakfast menu. "Robin has prepared for Krisskar a hen's egg omelet with sardines and Worcestershire sauce," she said as Robin set the plate in front of Krisskar with a flourish. "For everyone else help yourself from bowls of scrambled eggs, hash brown potatoes, bacon, sausage, and something new: Zombie PanCakes."
    --The pancake platter was uncovered. "They look like regular pancakes," observed Ed.
    --"Ah," said Robin "But they have been cooked in a dead pan!"
    --"Huh?" Jeb inquired.
    --"See above post, back a bit," I explained.
    --Jeb looked at the post holding up part of the cavern ceiling, then upward,then glared at me.
    --Krisskar picked out some of the sardines for Keeada, who produced from her waistband a small box containing two sticks which she used for eating. It was when Krisskar reached for the pepper that we all could see his hands. He noticed us looking.
    --"Desception iss no longer required," Krisskar said.
    --"You really are weird,"Hamster said with a shake of his head, munching on some kind of petrified mushroom and what appeared to be an alabaster egg, boiled.

10. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the Dining Room of Robin) --An air of expectancy hung about the small group. Something was about to transpire, and all knew it. Krisskar stood, Keeada as well. "Lyra, Keeada-chan will ferry me very closse to where your boat iss moored. Do you wish to travel with uss that far?"
    --Lyra looked at the group around the table then replied, "Why yes, thank you."
    --Terra spoke up. "Ed and I have some remaining business with our host here," and oddly she blushed. "Some day we will travel again through Writer's Ink, and look you all up."
    --Shania nodded, "Jeb and I also will hang here a bit. This business of the golden acorns is not quite yet finished."
    --"Can you take us?" BlueBell asked, blinking her bright blue doll-like eyes. "Me and Hamster that is."
    --"I believe ssoo," Krisskar said, mumbling something to Keeada, who replied, "High."
    --Not knowing the language at the time I thought that an odd thing to say.
    --"Wail," Robin sad a bit regretfully, "Ah hate ta see ya'll go my friends; but Ah wish ya'll fair winds. What of you though, good Master Bard?"
    --I pondered,wondering a bit about the golden acorns, but then wondering about Krisskar.... "I shall sail the seas yet again," I replied. "Thanks to you, Master Robin, for your gracious hospitality," and I bowed to our host.
    --Keeada spoke again and Krisskar nodded. "We need to go," he said. "Keeada-chan ssayss her boat iss hungry."

11. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the FireLotus Tavern) --I yawned with fatigue from my recent journeys to realms not yet revealed in this story. Gerta rose and asked, "Shall I bring you some more Koffee?"
    --"No thank you," I answered, standing and shouldering my bag. "I think I shall retire to one of the rooms upstairs and sleep a bit."
    --"Gerta dear," FireAngel said coyly, "We think you need to explain your mysterious self; as you seem to be more than you seem to be."
    --"Not until I return!" I interjected. "I have questions as well."
    --"Squirrel," said Gerta proudly.

12. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern) In the morning when I came downstairs, I noticed above the fireplace, on the large mantel, a rather ornate doll. It stood about 16 inches high and I smiled at an old memory.
    --Gerta came toward me. Placing both her hands on her stomach she bowed and said, "Kon nichi wa, Bada-Sama."
    --"Iya," I said returning her bow. "Bard-San, Apsara-Sama."
    --"I am not really an Apsara," Gerta (Keeada) said in response. "I was adopted."

[​IMG]

13. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Fire Lotus Tavern) --As it was a Saturday, folksies came in for breakfast, or brunch,at the Fire Lotus Tavern. My little audience assembled to hear the end of my travels with Krisskar, Warlock of the Ruins.
    --"You never explained that, Warlock of the Ruins thing," Gabriel mentioned.
    --"Ah, yes. Hamster told us, after we had parted ways with Krisskar," I said with a promise: "I haven't got around to it."
    --"Here," said Blaquerogue, tossing me a wooden coin. One the coin was printed "2 IT". "Now you have no excuse!"
    --"Ignore that!" said a lurking voice. "Continue with the story please!"
    --(I always suspected there were lurkers. They don't usually speak, or post, or even like, but never mind.)
    --Our group drew up in a circle of chairs under the Tesla powered ceiling fan that our hostess, Fire Lotus, had installed to ameliorate the warmth of early summer. Gerta busied herself with various chores but remained close by and within earshot, listening. "And so it was that I, along with Krisskar, Keeada.....who I shall continue to call by that name...as well as Lyra, Hamster, and BlueBell walked down to the seashore toward the odd, double-prowed boat. We had been told the boat needed to be fed....which made me, at least, somewhat uneasy."
    --Keeada picked up the rope and sand anchor and handed it to Krisskar, along with some instruction I couldn't really hear, much less understand. Then she called out to the boat which floated just a bit off shore, "Minogame!" she called to the boat, with some kind of request following.
    --A kind of ramp rose from the water between the boat and the shore. Brown and leathery, like the boat itself. The end of the ramp seemed to have spikes that embedded themselves into the sand, securing the boat. With an air of command, Keeada marched up this ramp and over the gunwale of the boat, taking a position near the sterm where a kind of oar seemed lashed to the aft prow. We followed and found simple bench seats where we could sit (except for the gnomes who chose to sit in the bottom of the boat and lean back against the sides).
    --It seemed as if this boat had been carved from a single block of wood, and covered in brown leather. Then Keeada called to Krisskar, who brought the anchor line aboard and took a seat as well. "I had to get the leash," he said off handedly. Keeada made a loud command to "Minogame" and the ramp was withdrawn....somehow. Then she asked Krisskar something. He responded "Hai! Anjin-Sama!" in a much more respectful tone than he had used toward the girl while ashore.
    --Lyra smiled. "Captain?" she asked Krisskar.
    --"Almosst," he answered. "Technically it iss more like 'Pilot' or 'Navigator' but you surmisse correctly that she, like you, iss in command when on her own boat."
    --"What does this boat eat?" I asked Krisskar with a tone of apprehension. "Not us, I hope."
    --"Not while under the command of Keaada-chan, no," Krisskar answered giving an entirely unsatisfactory response. "Don't fall overboard though."
    --Hamster snored. Loudly.
    --Krisskar shook his head and looked at BlueBell. "He doesssn't need to breathe. How iss it that he ssnoresss??"
    --BlueBell moved her head from left to right, rolled her eyes kind of insanely, then answered in a learned way, "We have observed Hamster for many years. He manifests certain very un-gnomish behaviors that we think are left over remnants of his being a more fleshy being than he is now. In the past, in another part of the Meta-Verse, Hamster was, actually, clinically insane. Among us, however, he is considered normal....mostly."
    --As I sat there, facing the bow, I think (usually I think of the bow as the pointy end) Keeada gave what was obviously a long and detailed order. The forward prow, carved into the semblance of a reptiloid face, not quite dragon like and about four times the size of my head, twisted itself back to look at Keeada....and nodded.
    --As the forward prow resumed it's former position, the boat began to move out to sea. "I have a bad feeling about this...." I muttered under my breath.
    --Hamster continued to snore.

14. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(The tale continues in the Fire Lotus Tavern)
    (At sea aboard Minogame)--I moved aft to get away from the forward prow of the boat, which I now surmised was not a boat at all, but some living creature. "Krisskar," I said in a requesting tone, "Translate my question to Keeada-chan...."
    --"ANJIN-SAMA!" she protested in an imperious tone, holding an index finger upward in an emphasis on her authority. It would have been laughable in other circumstances to see such a young girl acting in such a commanding manner, but I certainly did not feel like laughing at that moment.
    --"Sumimasen," I said with a small bow, believing that to be an apology, "Angin-Sama." She gave a curt nod and that kind of grunt that I took to be assent, or at least acknowledgement.
    --"What quesstion?" asked Krisskar
    --"Ask what Minogame eats."
    --Krisskar spoke to our Anjin-Sama, who replied with a relatively long list of chatter in her language. Krisskar listened and when she was finished he said, "Whaleses, ssquidsss, fisssh, sseals, and basically anything that might sswim within reach....don't fall overboard...."
    --Our Anjin-Sama grinned at my reaction. Not really evilly, but with the power that came from knowledge of Minogame that she had and I did not. Again she spoke and Krisskar translated: "Fear not honored Bard, I won't let Minogame eat you!"
    --I did not really feel comforted but nodded and again took a seat,next to Lyra, on the middle bench seat. "I know what this is," Lyra confided to me, patting the leather covered bench."
    --"Do I want to know?"
    --"It's a turtle. basically, sort of . A very famous turtle in fact."

15. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(The tale continues in the Fire Lotus Tavern)
    (At sea aboard Minogame)--"Gerta!" I called come and sit with us in the circle and quit pretending to wipe down tables! You are about to take over the narration anyway."
    --With a fetching movement of her head slightly nodding sideways and an almost evil grin, Gerta joined us. "pray continue, honored Bard," she said, "And don't forget to respect the skipper!"
    --"I've got to know," Chariya blinked at Gerta. "Was that you as a child that Mingo is talking of? You must be really old...."
    --"Not necessarily," Time Lord interjected. "Not if you measure time based on a person's own chronological clock, as opposed to a world clock....for there are possibilities that one....."
    --"Yes! Yes!" Chariya said in interruption....
    --"Moving right along," I said. "The boat seemed to sail by itself, propulsion method unknown Our Anjin-Sama," and here I looked at Gerta, who smiled approvingly, "stood on a flat spot at the rear of the....craft. She tucked the steering oar under her right arm, placing her left hand on the end, although I don't think she actually steered with it.
    --"Suddenly she made a loud exclamation,and pointed off the port bow"
    --"Everyone! Hold on!" Krisskar advised, gripping the side of the boat tightly.
    --"I like port," Lord Baldreth said back in the Fire Lotus Tavern....
    --"Swiveling to face forward I saw somewhat ahead a flock of gulls hovering around a circle of bubbles. The boat lurched to port then. Between us and the bubbles the back of a whale appeared. Or so I thought. Flat,brown, about thirty feet across, with two nostril openings at the end. Then the "whale" rose out of the water revealing two bulbous eyes. The pointed snout was about twenty feet out of the water when a true whale breeched upward to catch the fish ensnared by the bubble net.
    --"With a snap of it's mighty, toothless jaws, the head of the new beast bit the whale in half and swallowed it with jerky motions, causing our boat to shudder. For our craft WAS a giant turtle!"
    --"ah, just as I thought," Lyra said with a pleased nod.
    --Krisskar began something of an explanation. "Minogame iss probably satisssfied with that, for a bit."
    --I swiveled back to give an inquiring glace, and our Anjin-Sama began to babble as Krisskar tranlated."
    --"Babble!"Gerta said with mock irritation.
    --"Shh, your time is coming," I winked.
    --Krisskar told us the story related by our Anjin-Sama: the mighty seaturtles, the Minogame, were known to be basically friendly toward people; especially people who let them go when they got caught in fishing nets. This one had the ability to form atop its shell the semblance of a boat, and could even use the two false "carvings" on the prows for seeing and breathing. This one however, was not sent form the sea palace of Suitengo beneath the sea, but had been raised from an egg on the island of the Apsara.
    --I continued relating my memories: "Then our adorably cute little Anjin-Sama who was doing such a good job as
    captain......" Gerta beamed at the flattery, "pointed to the flute which protruced from my shoulder bag. It is just a simple tube," I said bringing it out,"keyless, with one end open, and a series of holes drilled along its length. I decided to play a simple tune for her."
    --"She listened intently; studiously, with a concentration that seemed almost super human." I reminisced. "then after a bit, she began to sing, and the Monogame chimed in with sounds eminating from both of the faces on the prows of the boat...."

--"the dance!" Chariya said gleefully. "I want to learn it, Gerta, I hope you will help me with it!"
    --"Of coarse," Gerta told the child. "or is it of course? I can never remember...."

16. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(At sea aboard Minogame)--"Our thoughtful captain had a box at her feet, from whence she removed and handed out some kind of food, and a large jug of water," I continued my narration in the Fire Lotus Tavern. "Hi Bov!" I called.
    --"I looked out behind us and noticed a large mass of seaweed trailing Minogame. It was yellow like straw, and reminded me of a kind of woven straw coat worn by farmers somewhere in my travels. Krisskar saw whence I gazed and commented, "It iss the tail of the Minogame."
    --FireAngel winced at my overuse of the word, "whence". But she did not criticize and merely asked, or observed, "So, the tale of the Minogame includes a tail?"
    --Facepalms sprouted all around.
    --"We continued onward, reaching the stone dock at the Isle of Feinantz early in the afternoon....."

17. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the Fire Lotus Tavern)--"Time out!" called Bov. He then looked at Gerta. "How can it be that you were you as an adult in Katya's Koffee Klutch BEFORE Mingo met you as a child aboard Minogame?"
    --Gerta laughed prettily and said, "If you go back to Part I, on the first page, you will read:"

--I was taken aback at the appearance of the Winsome Serving Wench at Katya's. "How did you get here?" I asked moronically, staring at her....um yes uh...staring at her...in awe.
    --"Everyone has to be some where!" she winked. "Why can't I be in both stories?"
    --"I'm confused," Jeb Stuart frowned.
    --"Just wait, Jeb. You ain't seen nothing yet!" I promised alluding to vast literary perplexities ahead.
    --(Back in the Fire Lotus Tavern) Lord Baldrith looked at the Winsome Serving Wench, "So you are both here and there?"
    --"Apparently I will be!" she smiled with a flip of her hair. "and I will be!"

--Time Lord said in a matter-of-fact manner. "My little cousin will go back in time to Katya's, but she has not done so yet." We all blinked in consternation and I said, "Cousin?"
    --"I have to get a black dress and white apron first." Gerta winked.

18. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

"Hold up! I am certain there is a a bit of a paradox developing here!" said Bodhbh at a pleasant volume, since there was no need to call at all, as it was only a tiny sittingroom they all were in, "I'm sure 'Gerta' here should not know what she'll be doing in the future. Even for time lords that can be a dangerous thing..."

Fireangel, Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  19. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(In the Fire Lotus Tavern)--"Ah, my good sir," I said pleasantly to Bov. "Gerta heard me speak of her in the setting of the past Katya's Koffee Klutch. So, at the time she heard me say that, she determined to go there...back in time...some time in her future."
    --"See!" Time Lord chimed in. "Simple!"
    --"I just hope," I said with a worried tone. "She never goes Back to the Future...one horrible experience in a theatre is quite enough thank you."

20. Mingo

Mingo Avatar

(Standing on the stone wharf on the Isle of Feinantz, in Blue Hat Gnome territory)--"We watched Minogame sail away," I reminisced, "carrying Krisskar to his doom and the little Anjin-Sama to a vastly different future than she had expected." At this last Gerta grinned and winked.
    --Continuing in a tired tone I said, "Hamster stood there looking at a key half as long as he was high. Krisskar had given it to him."
    --"My mage tower needs a proper masster," Krisskar hissed as he got down on one knee and removed the key from a light chain about his neck. "There is already one tunnel beneath it, begun by Lonin who will care for the roseses when he comess back to life, or whatever you gnomeses call it."
    --"I knew Lonin when I was a child!" exclaimed BlueBell.
    --"You're still a child," Hamster said morosely. BlueBell stuck her tongue out at him.
    --"See!" Hamster emphasized his point.
    --For her part, BlueBell proudly held a polished black rod about 3 inches long in her tiny fist. Krisskar gave it to her along with some instructions. He had removed it from a hidden compartment in his own large staff of a wand.
    --"My minion will sserve you ssince you are now the holder of thiss," he said. "If you push just here....you can ssummon him from ssome disstance, not very far though." Then Krisskar smiled at her.
    --"Please!" BlueBell said with a shudder. "Don't DO that!"
    --Bowing graciously to our Captain Lyra, Krisskar said, "I hope ssome day to enjoy your Rose Petal Koffee Kake again at Katya's."
    --To me, Krisskar extended his hand and shook mine gently, minding the claws. "My good friend," he said with irony, "When you tell ssongses, and ssing sstoriess, remember me eh?"
    --The day was ending. Minogame sailed into the darkening gloom of night.
    --"What of Krisskar?" asked BlacqueRogue.
    --Turning to Gerta I said with a faint smile. "Ah, we shall have to find that out from our winsome serving wench, who isn't that at all!"
    --Gerta stood up and spoke in a cheerful voice, "See you all in Part III!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.