Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Tameable unicorns and nightmares?

Discussion in 'Release 73 Feedback' started by Damia, Dec 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damia

Damia Avatar

I thought they were going to be tameable in 73. Was there a delay, or was i mistaken that it was coming in 73?

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I don’t recall that it was specifically mentioned this would be added in R 73?

3. Damia

Damia Avatar

Thank you Anpu

Anpu likes this.
  4. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

It was said it would be in R73 , I am figuring there was a delay since this release was so small.

5. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

Milestone goals sometimes don't get met. That's how games "in active development"

Whether or not something was a milestone goal doesn't change if it didn't make it to the release.

Adding a new taming creature may sound easy, but it is not. Extensive balance tuning and AI tweaking is needed to insure the new tamable meets player's expectations and doesn't break the game. The more powerful the enemy, the more difficult this is, and Unicorns are classified as one of the most powerful enemies in the game.

Nothing is worse than if a new tamable is released and it is too powerful by default and has to get nerfed. Players that don't use the tamable are unhappy before because the tamable is too powerful throwing PvP balance into ruin. Afterwards the players that have the tamable are upset because it is no longer as powerful, and players selling the tamable are upset because it is no longer worth as much on the player marketplace.

Numa likes this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

I'm just happy now that the revised taming tree makes even my elder wolf and patriarch bear more viable. It used to be "use your Obsidian X" all the time even in mere T3 areas if you didn't want your pet dying on you in seconds.

It really wasn't worth it then to go deep into the Taming tree just to make your pets useful. When my guild used to farm experience in high level areas it was water elemental, water elemental, water elemental plus the occasional demon. Not a single pet in sight.

Now it's different, the taming tree is useful even for newbies.

7. Boradic Boneslasher

Boradic Boneslasher Avatar

if either of you played in the early days an did it taming you would have seen up tell the obsidian destroyer was put in, there was absolutely no use in taming cause your pet was just a decoration really lol, but even after the obsidian destroyer was put in which he was stronger then the rest an more hp but still yack...…. Then again the real good old days when the red spider, and I am talking the little red spider was put in. You were able to enter a zone put the pet on aggressive an it would clear the zone an any new spawns ….. so there was no need to do anything but harvesting hehe

Numa likes this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

A looong time ago when I was still a newbie, I remember adventuring in Kingsroad crossing in Hidden Vale. Got into a little trouble with the (swarming) spider mobs when these 2 guys at a distance summoned a full-sized DRAGON.

They were actually about to help but i waved that I was ok :)

That was how overpowered taming was in those days. The skill got so many nerf-bats after that due to exploits - to the point that taming became the most expensive but weakest tree in the lot.

Glad it's making a comeback because it has so much potential. I've taken a look at the pets in ESO (specially in the warden class) and they're a pale shadow of what taming is in SOTA.

9. AoiBlue

AoiBlue Avatar

There have recently been higher tier creatures added to tame, but none as high as unicorns and nightmares.

The most powerful have been the "destroyer" mini-boss level enemies.

I suspect we will never be able to tame full sized dragons, as there are size issues there. Dragons have been made even bigger since then and you couldn't just summon them anywhere without creating major problems.

Numa likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.