Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Targeting and auto attack

Discussion in 'Release 38 Feedback Forum' started by ship2, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Either I don't get what is going on with targeting or this system is seriously borked. I don't heal who I want to heal (and buff) half the time despite who the target indicator claims I'm targeting. I'm really tired of dying because I discover I've been healing my pet instead of myself. Yes I know to use the F# keys to set target. Other times I'm healing someone other than my target (because of line of sight or broken prediction?)

I found auto-attack a bit irritating in this game, but I got used to it. Now, I'm constantly clicking and I'm not auto-attacking *3/4 of the time*. Most of the time I'm chasing a stupid mob in circles (who's usually chasing an archer) not hitting it and occasionally firing a special move into air. I will not get used to this. This is broken.

If this change was to "stop the cheaters" who afk fight mobs to gain xp, you guys are letting arbitrary rules and players bring your product down. You're going to win the battle of stopping *certain players* style and loose the war of not developing a suck game.

Why do I get the feeling game features are creeping in to specifically address and change how people are playing it? Here's a free tip. If people are spending hours doing something in your little world here it's probably because they enjoy it. The danger in "fixing" that? You may just succeed.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  2. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I welcome every change what makes the game harder and let people think over their playstyle and abusing echanics for their fast character development.

3. ship2

ship2 Avatar

There is a distinct difference between development that demands more skill, thought, and strategy, (and presence) requiring that the player rise to a more challenging game.. and just breaking stuff and making it more irritating to play.

Both make the game harder and slow down player development and in this scenario the end will not justify the means. The latter will just leave you with a small community of people who have invested way to much to quit, screaming about how there are no players.

Frankly, I boot SOTA to have fun. If I want a real challenge, I'll practice guitar, go forge a new knife in my garage, or design a stained glass window. When this game ceases to be fun, it will be deleted.

FrostII likes this.
  4. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

I agree with everything you said, the targeting is just aweful - I actually think it got worse with the last couple patches (if that's possible). It makes for a VERY frustrating time.

StarLord and FrostII like this.
  5. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

I'm with ship. The recent change to targeting is painful. I run up to the target, I hit the 'T' key and it says 'auto enabled', but my guy wont attack until I use a glyph or click on the target. Then, if I cast a spell on the target and it immediately removes the target from they guy I was attacking and I quit swinging. I am finding it frustrating to fight. :(

Cypher Black

FrostII likes this.
  6. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

It is beyond painful... I die so much now because I have no idea if I'm attacking something. It's bad enough there is no auto-attack HUD visual cue.

However, now it's 10x worse for me as melee.
    Even if I have auto-attack enabled and have not selected a target with G. I will just stand there, getting hit. I think auto-attack is not on so I hit that... and it disables WTF?! If I have the reticule over a target that I'm literally on top off... ATTACK it! So I end up playing where's the marble trying to figure out why I'm not attacking. What's worse is that it's not consistent. At least prior if I wasn't attacking I knew I forgot to toggle auto-attack.

So here are the problems I'm experiencing:
    1) Unsheathing weapon sometimes has auto-attack enabled, sometimes it doesn't. There is no consistency.
    2) With auto-attack on, when fighting a group of enemies, I have to hit G (which ironically usually targets enemy furthest away), even if I'm right on top of a target with reticule on him. This also causes certain range attacks to target whatever you have G on, causing you to miss attacks and this has gotten me killed a few times, because enemies that should be dead, live because my attacks are out of range or going to the non-intended target. Reticule should be law or remove the double reticule to minimize confusion. Seeing my target up close with mouse over reticule and not being the primary target because the hard-lock is real target is insane.
    3) with auto-attack on and enemy dies, sometimes it will start attacking closest target... sometimes it won't. It's so schizophrenic!

The previous auto-attack system while not perfect (visual cue on Hud would fix) was definitely preferable. This is just broken.

7. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Well said @Chrystoph Reis

Last night I was trying to assist someone taming by beating down the target then trying to keep aggro without killing it. If we got an add, it's almost impossible to avoid killing the wrong mob because the targeting won't stay consistent. When I target something it won't stay locked on that target.

This also makes it near impossible to focus attacks in group situations to follow a primary tank in a mob situation. Aggro can't be focused, so heals can't be focused, everyone dies. There is no skill or tactic to it.

8. Atticus Gryphonheart

Atticus Gryphonheart Legend of the Hearth

I have been having a similar issue where even if It says auto attack is enabled, I don't auto attack. I have to sheath my weapon and redraw during battle so that auto attack works.

The other annoyance is that it doesn't stay locked on my target any more. I use my target key and its name appears in top left hand screen. However, as it turns to run away and gets lost in the other mobs I am fighting, my target changes to the closest mob and not that pesky archer and mage I am trying to kill off first instead.

9. Selene

Selene Avatar

I am in the habit of always pressing alt when I heal myself even when I am alone. That makes sure you are targeting yourself for the next spell.

ship2 likes this.
  10. ship2

ship2 Avatar

Ill try that selene. Thank you!

Selene likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.