Tattoos is SotA?.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by High Baron O`Sullivan, Jul 26, 2013.

?

Tattoos in SotA?

1. Yes

78.4%
  2. No

21.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I think it would be really cool if SotA implemented a tattoo feature. I don't know how difficult it would be to code, design, and incorporate or how in depth the mechanic could be (i.e. custom art making,) but I think it would be a cool feature to help differentiate between players of similar physical appearance. Just an idea. I know not everyone is a fan of body art. But it is a simple way to add more distinguishable character traits between Avatars....thoughts?

2. stile

stile Avatar

I don't think it could be custom as that would require someone to moderate and approve them, but a pre-defined selection of various tattoos may be doable. Great crowd-sourcing idea if the Dev team feels its something they can implement at some point in time.

3. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Tattoos would be a great idea and I like the creativeness of custom tattooing. I understand the concern about moderating but possibly it could be limited to those that are reported for say drawing a penis on their forehead. If only prefab tattoos were made available I hope there would be a way to submit a design to be either added to the set of tattoos or accessed by the submitter for personal use.

Time Lord, Sedoratha, BillRoy and 2 others like this.
  4. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

If our in-game characters are supposed to be us from the mundane world we should have at least a few paste on decals to choose from.
    I'm 45 and got my first tattoo when I was 16, it's hard to imagine myself with "clean" skin, even in dreams when I can see myself or at least my arms I can see colors (but never really any detail), and whenever I make a toon in any game that allows for it I make some kind of texture, markings or something. It does make me feel more like it's me.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As much as I hate to point out anything EA has done that was actually good.. the Sims 3 tattoos have a pretty good system. There are plenty of placement options, you can scale and change the colors etc. On this note... what about war paint? I realize it's pretty much the same thing as tattoos.. particularly from a technology standpoint. There's also costume makeup so long as we're on the subject.

6. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

EA has a lot of good, I think most problems with them boil down to management and investor (non-gamer) pleasing, not customer care.
    But yes the Sims does have a good tattoo system (though I don't use it much in this case because I only play ghosts), and the war paint, or scarification is a good point too for technology/time period/location.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yeah I try to give the actual developers the benefit of the doubt and blame everything else on management. It just seems like everything EA gets their hands on they turn into trash. ANYHOW..

I imagine any custom tattoos (or any other custom texture) submitted by players will have to go through the same review process as custom crests.. and if they don't put in some sort of built in editor it will mean a small fee to submit. Which I think is acceptable so long as it's a reasonable price and we're allowed to update them as necessary (which Chris did indicate there would be something in place for that).. such as if they need to be cleaned up because they don't look good in-game and need fixing.

8. MasterThief

MasterThief Avatar

What about brands? Be cool if I wanted a pirate or thief brand. Or Scars like a missing eye or claw/sword slashes. To show your character is either a noble lord who sits at the back of every battle or a front lines brawler with the facial scars of barely dodge fatal blows of a War veteran. Not mandatory scars like fable, but more in lines with optional tattoos etc.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

I hope we can have input on hairstyles (and beardstyles) down the line too. I didn't like the choices in UO.

Time Lord and rild like this.
  10. Père Fouettard

Père Fouettard Avatar

Guild tattoos

11. Montesquieu Paine

Montesquieu Paine Avatar

Y'know, tattoos and brands can be in-game events, too. Rewards or penalties for success/failure. Oathbreaker. Purist. Fanatic. Believer. Thief. Paladin. ... both the good and evil and even the neutral or indeterminate, can use the same "technology". (Theoretically even the indecisive could, should they ever make up their minds to do so.)

Flags, banners, warpaints -- perhaps even glow-in-the-dark ones. Magic-based 'anti-colors' that eat light and change the local shading, or dim the ambient lux density?

Great idea, OSullivan; hope others (DevTeam) will run further with this line!

MasterThief likes this.
  12. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I'm a tattoo gal, so I would appreciate this in the game. I'd like to see a chance to add as many as you want, wherever on the body you want. I'm not too fused about whether it is custom or from a predefined set, though a large selection would be needed else everyone will have "that one cool one." Face/war paint would be cool too!

nightshadow, rild and FireLotus like this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You'd need an ankh tattoo though. I'd think that'd be a must. ;) Yeah a lot of variety. I totally see crowd sourcing going into pretty much all of this. I'm really not sure about being able to put a tat literally anywhere.. but I think they could get enough locations in that people would be happy. It'd just be a matter of how expensive it is to do each location.

I'm not a tattoo guy but I'd love to see all this stuff and what people will do with it.

rild likes this.
  14. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

About locations, I was thinking more along the lines of being able to position it where on the arm you want it, and then being able to layer or position several on the same arm, as opposed to being limited to 1 stamp on the arm, 1 stamp on the leg, etc... the ability to get more of a 'sleeve' look going by combining a few different choices. :) But yes, I wouldn't want them spending too much time/resources on it if that is too complicated.

rild likes this.
  15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I imagine that should be possible but I think we'd need Chris to chime in on that one. As I mentioned Sims 3 I believe that system does allow multiple tattoos in one spot. It's been awhile since I played any.. my game time had & has been taken up by Skyrim, Civ IV and SotA :) But it really is one thing I think they got right with the game. As I recall though it only has shoulder and upper arm spots.. but memory is a little hazy.

You could probably simulate that effect you want with a custom tattoo.

Dame Lori likes this.
  16. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I think it would be a nice addition though I don't know that I would want custom tattoos. I can just imagine the obscene things people would be wearing if they had free reign. heh

If the dev team put a call out to players to create a couple hundred designs to add to the game so there is lots of variety, that would be awesome.

Père Fouettard likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

and I'm sure we'd get at least that many designs if not more. :) The real question I would think in that case would be how they should be put together.

I've mentioned tattoos in Sims 3 a couple time now.. there's one feature I hadn't mentioned.. that the tattoos used the RGBA channels to allow players to change the colors.. So your typical tattoo had up to 4 customizable colors each.

Custom tattoos I imagine would work like custom crests where non-backers would pay a fee.. that should be enough to discourage 'inappropriate content'.

rild likes this.
  18. God

God Avatar

I think this is a rad idea. If our characters are supposed to mirror ourselves, I'd like to be able to tattoo myself like I am in real life. [​IMG]

19. God

God Avatar

20. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Try posting it to imgur.com. Facebook typically requires people to be logged in to see it and won't show up on the forum because I believe they block hotlinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.