1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Tax Free Lots are Backer Rewards Only

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I guess I missed where a purchased taxed city plot can be converted to tax free.
    Is that possible now?

edit-I think the ability to convert from taxed to tax free is rumor and wishful thinking.

I think it is a twisting of Richard and Chris saying that once the game launches, you'll be able to upgrade your deed from village to town, or from town to city, and remain tax free. Those aren't the same thing.

Bom, Time Lord, Deliverence and 4 others like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I do not think it has been verified, it has been a topic for a few days now. Hope they do not let this happen.

Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Yeah.
    If I pledged as citizen, I get a tax-free village deed.
    I would then amass a great fortune in game, and convert my existing tax free village deed to tax free town deed.
    That's what they said.

If I pledge citizen and get a tax-free village deed, and then purchase a taxed town plot, and then swap the tax status of the two plots, that's NOT what they said.

Bom, Time Lord and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  4. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Bom and bdonham like this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Bom likes this.
  6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

that ADD-ON STORE is from His Wiki Page

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Add-on purchases can be converted to credit to be applied to pledges. but the add-on purchase itself doesn't count toward it.. But we'll know more later... no use to speculate now on exactly how it works till they hammer out how they want it to work.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I'm here because I pledged to Kickstarter, And no I don't like all the rule changes they have made just to appease a minority of Backers when their are over 25000, just because you feel you want and will pay for everything in the game doesn't make you a Positive backer to game long term success.

Bom likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I kind of feel that maybe you just need to trust the developers more.

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

that conversion program requires you to liquidate the item from the add-on store so it does not nullify the statement just amends it.

Bom and Time Lord like this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Transferring the tax-free status of a deed to another deed would be a loophole in the pledge system. I highly doubt they will allow this, but if they do that would be huge. Everyone should go buy those town and city lots now because they are crazy discounted. :)

That certainly would entice quite a few purchases.

12. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If I was cynical I'd look on that as way to get round paying the IRC/Inland Revenue taxes on the items they have sold in store, Star citizen only sell items linked to pledge tiers. So they are looking for a loophole to avoid it

Bom, Time Lord and Mishri like this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Interesting, I hadn't even thought of those tax issues with selling in-game items vs receiving pledge funds for game development purposes.

Time Lord likes this.
  14. smack

smack Avatar

You will need to convert your add-on store purchases to credit first before you can reapply that to your pledge. But outright purchases of digital items do not count to your pledge by themselves.

Starr posted this here:

15. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

I agree that would be a loophole for sure.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

I trust the developers its the Business Management Dept I'm questioning

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

If you convert your purchase to credit you no longer own what you bought from the shop, its a refund from the shop. I don't think they can just start adding anything that you purchased earlier to your Pledge's it will end up with individual pledges depending on what they have bought.
    Once again catering for the few.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. smack

smack Avatar

Any digital item that you've bought and haven't yet claimed (since we're all pre-launch now anyways) can be converted to store credit. How you use that credit is up to you. It's not catering to the few, it's catering to everyone.

If you bought a digital item for $10 and it goes on sale a month later for $5, you can convert that $10 item to store credit and potentially purchase the same item for $5 and put $5 towards your pledge. Or get two of those digital items! Either way, Portalarium already has your $10. It really makes no difference to them, but it's a world of difference to all backers.

Post-launch though, we'll have to see what the rules are for digital goods conversion.

Bom, Time Lord, Turquois and 4 others like this.
  19. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@smack
    That's my opinion too. I think it's great for backers. Soon we will be able to take advantage of sales at no extra cost to us. It should help people who are on the fence about buying items. After they buy an item, if it comes up for sale, they can take advantage of it. It's like a low price guarantee.

Bom and Lord Baldrith like this.
  20. Kamalh Tannen

Kamalh Tannen Avatar

To be honest I don't see a problem with most of this. Once the game releases yes people can upgrade their plots in game. The Conversion to Add-on Store items and so on seems like a great idea that benefits everyone. You may end up short of a pledge tier and have to add some money but I don't see how this equates to individual tiers.

As for the people wanting to buy in at citizen and upgrade just their plot to a rent free larger plot. Honestly it isn't breaking the pledge tiers or whatever. For some people the only reason they pledged that high might be land but for others your getting more perks than just land with your pledges houses, basements, items, and not to mention the order of placement as well. Granted a lot of this is about pledging support to the game but at the same time you have Tiers and Rewards because most people won't give that much away without getting something back. If people want to ask for a way to maximize their money and get more of what is valuable to them that's fine it's normal and I can't blame them they are still taking a chance just like everyone else on the game.

If people can purchase Deeds in the online store after it's live vs the person who has to earn the in game gold to buy a deed.
    How is that any different than people who once it's live have to upgrade their rent free deed with gold vs someone who buys their upgrade in the online st0re?

Bom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.