Tech Talk Tuesday(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

confirmed that's how it works for my bow. love me some flurry...

Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Is there a new video for yesterday?

Time Lord and Hornpipe like this.
  3. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Time Lord, Hornpipe and Barugon like this.
  4. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I talked to Chris yesterday. Won't be able to do one today due to some overseas people coming in that Portalarium will be hosting and going to SXSW ... so he's unavailable.

We'll try later this week or pick up next week. Still in the works to get several more of these up and make it a regular thing.

@Chris - I think in the next episode we should go through exactly how targeting and cover works.

5. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Due to the Portalarium Telethon/Hangout/Stream (I flew out to help them) I tried to be upfront that this last week wouldn't happen. Sorry I wasn't more clear about that. Tuesday was spent about 30k feet in the air for me so hosting a stream wasn't reasonable. Wednesday was stream prep... Thursday was stream... Friday was coming home... Saturday-now is working on making my clients happy that I ignored so I keep making money at my day job. :)

Should be on some sort of a regular track within the next week. Thanks for everyone's feedback. The positive feedback has shown this is worth investing time into and I'm going to keep trying to host these on a regular basis until Chris or the community feel like it's run it's course.

Cheers!

6. 3devious

3devious Avatar

Thank you for doing these and I appreciate the time that you and everyone else doing these types of projects donate to us.

7. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

THIS I'm a berserk/chaos bolt user so I'm often between -50 to -100 and am just way to dumb to figure it out myself but don't want to totally gimp myself either :eek:

Time Lord and Violation Clauth like this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

• Issue #2
      • Aiming
      • Dodge
      • Network Packets vs Network Bandwidth vs FPS
      • Attunements, Armor, and Resistances
      • Skill Effectiveness

9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Feedback for @Chris on aiming: when I'm running through a scene with my bow drawn and some mob targets me then I will auto-attack the nearest creature even if that creature is not aggressive (such as rabbits, squirrels, deer, etc).

10. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Wow, these are so good. Thank you for doing this!

11. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

@Chris When you go to rework the aiming, can you please include logic that maintains a manually selected target?

If I manually select an enemy target I do not want that target to switch until it is dead.
    The problem is when something has 17 HP left and something else walks up and becomes a more "relevant target" but with full health, we need to be able to still hit and finish off our original target.

This from the perspective of a Ranger using single target attacks.

Thanks and awesome Tech talk. :)

12. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Well if the first target is directly behind the new target shouldn't the arrow hit the target in front of you? not sure if it's is what you meant tho

13. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

Thanks for taking my question on effectiveness.. I wonder what it does for skills like Tabula Rasa still ;)

14. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Current aiming system is unsatisfactory (for archers at least). It looks like an old MMO system where it's necessary to select a target to be able to fire. I would much prefer an aiming system which allow you to shoot right on what you are aiming for. We had something like that before and that was fine ! This is the only way to give us real control. In addition, it would avoid firing on targets that are more than 45° on the side ! And for those who complain that they cannot aim at a target hidden behind another one, just - learn - to -move, please ! I am a "single target ranger" who don't use magic and I never had any problem shooting at my prefered target with the previous system.

By the way, I didn't watch the video yet.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  15. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Tuesdays, my new favourite day of the week, keep them coming.

16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Aiming, for the most part, works correctly for me. The thing that's crazy is that I'll auto-shoot a non-aggressive mob when an aggressive mob targets me.

If I hard-target a mob then I generally shoot only that mob unless it gets out of my range or field of view. If that happens then I'll start shooting other auto-selected mobs until my hard-target is back in range/view or I select another hard-target. I'm fine with that logic.

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Why should the auto aim system fire at the hard-selected target ? First, it's not very convenient (you have to cycle all target to select the desired one when "shoot at what you are aiming" for is pretty simple to use). Secondly, as you say yourself, when the hard-selected target is out of sight, the aiming system decide for you. So you can harm fauns, squirrels and rabbits when it's not your intention.

As far as I am concerned, about ranged attack, it's way more convenient to disable this auto aiming thing. I can understand wizards need it for some spells (select target for healing, as an example) so aiming should not use the same logic when it's about using magic or using bolt/arrows, in my opinion. And when your target is behind something, it's up to you to move, as you already do when it's behind cover.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Once I target an aggressive mob, I won't accidentally hit a non-aggressive mob. It's only at the very moment that an aggressive mob targets me and I'm not currently engaging anything that I'll just willy-nilly shoot a non-aggressive.

Is there currently a way to disable auto-targeting?

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Used to be, check options.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I know there's an option for auto-attack but I don't remember ever seeing one for auto-targeting.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.