Tech Talk Tuesday(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Gotcha, targeting is always automatically done but to bypass accidentally attacking you turn off auto attack and only manual attack (power attack). Please refer to the video on how targeting works. He explained it fairly well I think.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Just to reiterate my goal with these videos... They're not additional deep dives for feedback. They're in-depth looks from Chris at how the system works. If he says something works one way and it doesn't then I suggest a bug report! If he leaves a detail out and I don't notice (like the effectiveness stat and how it plays into skills) call us on it!

I think 90% of player frustration is based on lack of correct information or repeatable content. Hopefully these videos help with half of that!

Time Lord likes this.
  3. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Speaking of demystifying @Chris can you please add future focus cost to the "in 20 levels description"?

4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Yes, some of the best deep dive tech talk I have seen in the 15 months I have been playing. Show me the math.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

In Tech Talk Tuesday #1, Chris mentioned in an attack a 0-100 is rolled.
    If the mob is attacking you, and it has a crit chance of 10%,
    and if you have a dodge of 10%, block of 10%, parry of 10%, glancing blow of 10%

If the roll is:

Roll Effect on incoming attack
    (0-10) crit
    (11-20) dodge
    (21-30) block
    (31-40) parry
    (41-50) glancing blow
    (51-60) crit hit
    (61-100) normal hit

I don't really understand the 2nd part where Chris agin mentioned the roll of 51-60 being a crit hit again (around time 21:13), since the roll from 0-10 was for a crit hit. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Also, since in the character sheet, avoidance mentions dodge and glancing blow together, does it mean that in the combat math 0-100 roll, avoidance is used twice in the calculation - 1 time for dodge chance and another time for glancing blow chance?

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

A critical that doesn't count as critical thus it is a hit.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Hey guys, been sick since Monday (Sunday night really) ... going to the Dr tomorrow... sorry I skipped this one, my bad, don't hate me :-/ ... it'll be Tuesday one of these days "Soon(TM)" :D

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

As I understand, from how Chris has explained it here and before, dodge (from dex) is dodge... and glancing blow is from DA (avoidance) ... avoidance gives you 33% damage received instead of a "miss" ... which is huge because you can AVOID a crit... you can't dodge it (50% reduction on a dodge, 66.67% on a glancing blow).

edit: to be clear... when a crit "misses" it becomes a hit...

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Casey McCormick

Casey McCormick Avatar

Could you elaborate on this please? A critical that doesn't count as a critical thus it is a hit? A critical by definition means it already is categorized as a critical already right?

Edit: Ok, just saw your edit. So when a crit misses it becomes a hit. Thanks.

Time Lord and Violation Clauth like this.
  10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

So I was sick last week and new release has Chris busy this week... I'll do my best next week but I'm flying home Tuesday from a wedding over the weekend. Thanks all...

Teaser: next episode we will cover how experience, skill progress, and how decay works!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  11. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Good idea for a video series. Thanks for doing this.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  12. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

I guess now we can blame @Chris for taming not being balanced and fun...
    There are no taming changes in R40.

Jump to (29:15)

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'm not a tamer so IDK... but... they got sotamap in... I mean, come on man. :D

14. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Jaanelle DeJure and Time Lord like this.
  15. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

If there's time I'll definitely try to get this one in there more... I think a lot of people have struggled understanding how this works. A good amount of this information was covered previously in the networking data... be sure to watch issue #2 around the middle of the video to pickup network information.

16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I wanna know if damage resistance on your armor still negates the defensive effect of Dexterity. Found a 2015 video where chris mentioned that (lowering dexterity defense if using heavy armor)

Also i wanna know if Attunment give you resistance as well, or if its just negating the bonus from the attunment of your enemies which makesitfeel like resistance. (Guy with 100 attunment attacks guy with 50 attunment. 100 attunment guy's attunment bonus reduced to 50 attunment?)

And lastly, i heard a rumor that you guys were scrapping the ideaof a regional economy. Is that true? Or are you still planning to distribute resources via region?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Check out the middle of issue one and really the majority of issue 2... there's a lot to take into account for how all the benefits of dex fit in and how attunement works with all of that... those things have been covered though! check it out!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Leinad Laurelwreath

Leinad Laurelwreath Avatar

Yeah i was watching it a while ago, but although it talks about network communication, UDP packages, lag etc but it doesn't say anything about server or P2P communications ... or i missed that.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

it explains a bit of information that you need to know for us to not rehash old topics... but it doesn't explain it well enough / directly enough to answer what you're asking... so, yes, I'll see if we can work it in... thanks for that idea

20. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

This was covered in the Combat section of the Spring Telethon as well, around the 8:30:00 mark. Basically, attunement counts as partial resistance, so compare defender's Resistance + (Attunement/x) against attacker's Attunement to determine effectiveness.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.