Tech Talk Tuesday(s)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Violation Clauth, Feb 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I dunna like it at all... but mostly because he already said they were changing from 12 to 24 hours decay so its doubled now for "normal" any ways.

Time Lord, discipleofweb and Barugon like this.
  2. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Tough world we live in but the truth is... Doesn't matter where they set decay... It's a relative cap. If they set it higher then they need more dev time and money to complete the system.

That's why I like it lower right now... Then episode 2 can have a decay level change if needed.

It's all relative anyway. A dynamic system. Players put time in and get a set of rewards based on this dynamic response system. The % of benefit is better if it's lower... Otherwise min-max players are rewarded more.

That's my two cents.

Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  3. Cream2

Cream2 Avatar

Can we ask Chris about the skill "eagle eye" and attack skill rating in general?

Also, the main difference between +Wep damage vs %wep damage enchants

Time Lord and Lord Andernut like this.
  4. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The idea behind the scaled decay is to make it less punishing for casual players. As it is, a player like myself will get hit with the maximum decay every time we log on and that will double in R41. If Chris does what he said in the video then that will make it even worse for casual players and I would rather he make no change.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Time Lord and Zader like this.
  5. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Wha best part of all!

Time Lord likes this.
  6. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

To me, in my humble observation, the mechanics of spawn is coded to so to pressure you to use/waste as much Xp when ever it can, even to the point of suicide spawn, just to make you use more xp. I use to get made about it, but now, I just use it to my advantage. then scoff at the rubber banding.
    as melee, I have already picked up on the step back on spawn using the camera to our disadvantage.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying where players load into a scene? Or the death mechanic? Or how monsters are in specific locations? Or?

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

have you not noticed how spawn waits to the very last second to jump on you, or to spawn beside you, or to run in the places that will prolong you getting the xp kill. the game is counting against you as a whole. I can feel it. maybe I am not articulating it like I should. Ill be back when I am not distracted.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

@Violation Clauth - While you were busy "trolling" @Chris on that decay calculation I think he got confused. He kept saying .025 even though he had written .0025 and so his calculation was off by a factor of 10. The first time through I hadn't seen what you put up on the screen because I was in the car and listening on Bluetooth.

But just to clear up any confusion: What is the actual correct answer to the calculation you were performing?

10. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

He writes 0.025 so it looks like 0025 sometimes. I didn't follow up because the math seemed right with the data he gave. Also, in the end, it doesn't matter if it's off as long as "how" is correct. How decay works is what I was trying to explain and get him to explain. The numbers are all constantly changing. I assure you that decay is already different than how it was explained to be in this video. The changes are very fluid.

Hope that helps.

Think of this video series as more "how" for understanding the game better and less of a walkthrough on min-max mastering. Min max players love this stuff so I'll never be clear of it... But the framework is constantly being tweaked. Using it to understand how you should play generally is best. Using it as a min max guide will outdate it in one month.

Time Lord and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Me get confused? NEVER. Ok, maybe sometimes.

Oh, and the number is actually 0.0025 or 1/400. So per full day of accumulation, you lose 1/400th of the applied xps.

12. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Ha! :D Thanks for clarifying...

13. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Looks like it was written correctly, but he was just forgetting to say one of the zeroes. Yours and his maths were off by an order of magnitude, which is quite significant! (BTW your calculation was correct.)

Time Lord and Violation Clauth like this.
  14. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Updated OP to include the last one... slamming chris with a nice list of potential topics... and he gave me the heads up next week is too hectic due to release. We'll be taking another week off. I see this as a really cool thing but secondary to them actually working on the game. Hopefully everyone understands why we delay/cancel them at times.

Cheers!

15. UncleBenny

UncleBenny Avatar

Just for confirmation:

I have been saving pooled exp for a long time and have quite a stash built up. Does this confirm that we do not take decay on exp that is not applied to a skill? Basically making pooled exp "tax free"?

16. null2

null2 Avatar

I really want to know how spell crit chance bonus is calculated. You just put it in as a variable in the last tech Tuesday, hinting that it was additive.

How does spell crit bonus from gear get calculated into a spell crit bonus? Is it additive? If I get +5% crit from my gear, is that a flat 5% or is it 1.05 times my base crit?

17. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

@Violation and @Chris - could you perhaps go over the states of effects of negative conditions in a scaling factor, like being poisoned by the various types of poison or being slight drunk to smashed - in a pvp or pve scenerio?

Maybe pick one per video

18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Correct

That's probably going to be covered with an upcoming topic request I have about enchanting and buffs/debuffs... No current ETA but it's in the short list of things I'm asking for us to cover.

19. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Like a live playthrough and have a specific moment fully decoded? I probably took that too far but it gives me an idea for a 3 part series based on a screen shot during a moment of gameplay where we fully breakdown everything that's happening and have code references like the show NUMB3RS used to do for the math guy... Thoughts? It would do what you're asking but not how you're asking... Would that satisfy the objective? LMK!

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

However you and Chris feel it's best handled. I am just looking for some behind the scenes knowledge of how the different states would affect Avatars. You can assume no protection or 50% protected or 90% protected. We have all of these different types of poisons but what does that really mean? (You can expand beyond poisons but it offers a lot of variety to change the state of your opponent and how)

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.