Teleport to Zone scroll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Greyfox, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Valid points but running across the same map if only for 30 seconds for the 100 thousandth time is just one more cut. All these tiny cuts is/was bleeding the game dry. One bandaid at a time.

Addison and FrostII like this.
  2. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

I feel you, you can't put humpty dumpty back together in 5 minutes with a roll of scotch tape. But I just see this as taking more away from the game and refining it into the worst parts, the world map is one of the few things that works right and it's not very inconvenient. I've played a lot of mmo's over the years and this is one of the things that stuck out as new and different and well executed.

Bowen Bloodgood and Elwyn like this.
  3. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

It's actually one of the items that call directly back to the Original Ultima Games.

4. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

I love the zone teleport scrolls. It’s an idea who’s time should have been implemented at the beginning. I’m still using the overworld. This just makes it easier to get from xenos to Ardoris, from Kingsport to Elementum, from anywhere to Upper Tears.

Thank you Devs!

FrostII and Cordelayne like this.
  5. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

It calls back to nothing. UO had mark/recall, it also had bank thieves and griefers, no one is clamoring for that. You could steal someones house key and they were done. It also took hours, with a horse, to walk from one side of the vast empty wilderness of UO to the other side. Some of the other ultimas had ways to teleport to the different shrines or moongates, but they were based off the phases of the moon, in a very few you could mark in one spot and recall back to it, one spot like bind recall.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  6. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I said nothing about UO...
    The early single player Ultima Games had a 'overland' travel map from which you entered or were pulled into scenes.

7. Black FjP

Black FjP Avatar

Oh, well I suppose a lot of games have had that, I thought you were talking about recall to zone scrolls, not the world map.

I apologize, sir.

8. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I think it should become "Teleport to Party", which could let you choose any member of the party to teleport to. Then at least if you're going to use somebody as a teleport mule, they have to first consent to it by being in the same party.

9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Friend system is a kind of a bit of a mess, even without it being used as a transport hub.

Originally, when we were discussing fast travel on the forums, one of my suggestions was that players could exchange something, like two halves of a gem or something, both had to carry one half, and then it use it to link each other together. It would basically be not just a consensual system but also something deliberate on the part of both players.

While some might have not liked this type of rune-recall approach, I still think the basic idea of treating "friendship" in the game as more meaningful than what its become on social media was worthwhile. I'm not sure how useful LB's own friends list is, it must have hundreds of players on it. The current friend system is useful in the current form of the game because it serves a lot of purposes, but I also wish we could for instance have some mechanic to "favorite" friends, and mark players we regularly interact with in a special group at the top of the list.

A lot could also be done to make lunar rifts work better, and expedite transports for some game purposes through some type of game mechanic (such as for guilds), and honestly, lunar rifts should really show on the overland map. Horses & pack animals obviously will also be coming.

Someone here mentioned going from everywhere on the map to Upper Tears. Part of the problem is that the devs have built the game so wherever you are on the map, you want to go to one scene, and everyone wants to go to the same scene. This is a problem in itself, not a problem with travel, but the fact that the map isn't very balanced and this helps break regional gameplay. Ideally, what you'd want to do is easily find people who are in whatever region you're in, whether it be in a tavern or in a camp on the overland, or whatever, and find a fun scene to play in nearby. Regardless of fast travel options in the game, I feel that type of gameplay is something the devs should be supporting, and they currently don't do it very well; although I think if they did support it better, fast travel options would be less meaningful.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  10. Cleome Arachnid

Cleome Arachnid Avatar

Immersion is and has always been a load of crap.

Greyfox and macnlos like this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Immersion is very real...
    The problem is there are as many definition of what constitutes an Immersive Experience is as there are players of games.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If you are never immersed in your gameplay then I doubt you’re having much fun

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its why many people chat while they're grinding; because the gameplay isn't immersive enough to keep their attention, so they need something to keep them from getting bored.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

In my experience people chat regardless, but socializing in an online game is also part of gameplay is it not?

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I think everyone who plays is "immersed" in their own way. For "most" people the slow movement that used to be forced on us on the overworld didn't (doesn't) immerse US.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yea, it can be. But to the extent that people feel they need it in order to literally keep from being bored, which is one of the arguments for global chat, it suggests that the actually gameplay falls short.

Anyway, the whole debate over "immersion" is annoying, because people make it sound like the people arguing in favor of it really see what they're talking about as unfun and tedious the same as everyone else, and are just arguing for it out of some ideological principle. Like they really don't find immersion fun --- ie "its crap" -- but they're putting their principle above fun. While, most people who enjoy some type of world immersion do because of experience with games that had it to a great degree like the SP Ultimas.

On the other hand, nobody every challenges people arguing against it whether they're really having a straightforward discussion, or whether these are just Internet arguments. If someone says "this is too tedious", everyone is just expected to assume it really is too tedious. When someone argues they don't want immersion, because its unfun, then maybe they should argue what's more fun. But often, it ends up just being grinding, which a lot of people don't find fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.