Temp Game Master Account

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Nick, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Avatar

Its more of a dynamic way to interact with players, and instead of using a small chat box that is littered with all sorts of information. If the GM is the final boss, he can advance and retreat where necessary.

If the GM have to populate a loot table with his own resources. Will that help solve the item problem? Say a chest where players can contribute to the loot table. The GM logs in and picks up the loot. Everything in his inventory will be considered the loot table for his spawns. Whatever he is equipped with is the boss drop, if he is the boss. At the end of the event, all remaining items will be sent to the rental's bank.

Aeryk and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Even no loot is fine IMO. The loot wouldn't be my reason for doing this.

Longer reply later.

3. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

here is the devil on your other shoulder :p

Since you as a player are running the whole event and making the loot you can do so already by opening up other in parties, Good vs Evil . . . .(whatever you want) and one player is the head not in the party. But you have to slay that play (or save them) in the end just ahdn out the loot of wen you die Drop a Public Chest and wala your item go out as loot.

Sorry but the mechanic are there, sure a little thought and effort go into it.

If you really like this idea let me know I can happily cook up a small :D; Rescue the Princess in my dungeon, kill the Overlord, in my castle, protect the King from Marauders, . . . any of many concepts. You can even use my whole town to set up and execute your concepts. You will just have to bring the rewards you would like to use.????

See how I mean use the current mechanics, the next step is allowing me to "create" stuff from a Dev tool:rolleyes: mechanics and that is where you have sooo many more logistical issues and problems arise.

I guess I could offer me self as an Event coordinator if that it your wishes.

Again the idea is AWSOME ;)just there is one line that cannot be crossed :(

Nick and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  4. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

It's sad that such a simply idea is not understood.

The way Nick was suggesting, this event would have to be cleared by Portalarium staff, and it would be a rare and special thing. -> Potential for abuse very low.

The way I was suggesting, every POT owner would be master in their own POT. Annoy visitors and citizens with too frequent monster spawns -> Just hurts your town's reputation and soon you'll have nobody anymore whom you could annoy. To prevent POT owners from spawning high level stuff for XP and loot (if you really think that'd be an issue), just make these low or even no XP/loot creatures.

Nobody requested that players be allowed to create stuff. No idea where that came from.

People -are- already creating content with the very limited ressources we players have, including the levelling of alternative characters to be used in player-run quests. But it is tedious, and at the moment it's very hard to get enough players on two opposing sides to make this PvP only. It's not like the people who are requesting additional supporting game mechanics have not put thought and effort into events in the past, that were good, but could have been even better with more tools in our hands.

Aeryk, Nick, Fei Akhart and 1 other person like this.
  5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

ok sure it was not what he asked for but when you use the words GM you are implying that they have the ability to use or work some "Game Files" I have stated over and over that the Idea is great but if you look at it as a whole you are both asking for and even already doing it with the tools already in the game? What more do you want / need that is not already there?

Dungeons can be created with spawns in them. Allowing spawn points of any type in a POT creates problems , even if they are no loot / no exp. These would be nice and would work but in the end players will want to get something from them. If all it is a Role Play then players can use their own chars already and I have shown how. You clearly already know how as you have done an excellent job.

I guess if you are VERY Specific like was started with like, creating a char with chose stats / templates for a single day event - sure.

As for players creating stuff in the end even thow some specifically (Helvig and Nick) once you do it someone will want more and the door is opened.

The idea at it core is fantastic, ensuring and creating the mechanics is the problem.

It results in using what we already have.

Trust me I am no opposed to being able to add content like wished for but I just see the bad side (and have seen it in UO)

I wish you all the luck in the world working this to fruition, and still offer to help out however / whenever wanted / needed.

BTW we are circling around here between us, sorry to drag it out.

Nick likes this.
  6. Nick

Nick Avatar

I believe what @Weins201 is trying to say is. The idea is not new. He (along with many others) have been there, tried that, argued long and hard about it in the past. Hence he is warning us not to open that can of worms. But he won't stop us from trying, he just want to keep our expectations in check.

And we are trying to say, the tools given to us are too primitive and restricted. We want better but limited (and non exploitive) tools to make RP more attractive, to make a difference. (RPers need some love too!)

Hopefully @DarkStarr and the other devs give this thread a look and decide if its feasible to include them in their future plans.

Origin created worlds. We'd like to create better worlds within this world. :D

Aeryk and Weins201 like this.
  7. Katrina Akhart

Katrina Akhart Avatar

I was going to say a few things, but Nick said it better. So I'll just add that no one said making player-created events is currently impossible, or that the game mechanics won't allow it. They just said that doing this right now is tedious and require a lot of precious time. Quoting Helvig: "It's not like the people who are requesting additional supporting game mechanics have not put thought and effort into events in the past, that were good, but could have been even better with more tools in our hands."

I believe everyone here would welcome constructive criticism and ways to prevent abuse (as others have already provided), but repeating "that's the way things are, get used to it" and "you can't have that because somehow people will abuse it" when people are trying to figure out how to avoid exploits... well, it is not constructive criticism. You can play devil's advocate, but more elaborate arguments would be appreciated. I mean, what kind of problems do you think would happen if POT owners were able to summon (no exp/loot) creatures inside their own POTs? What kind of problems do you think we could expect if POT owners were given temporary, restricted GM powers? Were these problems addressed by other players? If you think the proposed solutions aren't good enough, then what are these solutions' flaws?

So here is a really summarized summary of what has been suggested and potential issues that could arise (if I missed something, please correct me). Now let's keep refining it! :]

• Temporary and restricted GM powers, bound to one POT and subject to Portalarium's approval beforehand, with a simple non combat deck which summons, and a locked combat deck for combat, and text in the chat box will appear as screen text to other players. (this is my personal favorite)
    - Possible issue: exp/items farming | Proposed solutions: low or no exp/loot summons only; temp GM should provide the loot from his own inventory.​

• Every POT owner would be master in their own POT (restricted GM powers work inside the POT only, but these powers are not temporary).
    - Possible issue: exp/items farming | Proposed solutions: low or no exp/loot summons only; GM (POT owner/steward) should provide the loot from his own inventory.
    - Possible issue: too frequent monster spawns or events | Proposed solution: POT residents and visitors would regulate this system, since if they are too annoyed by it they would leave and the POT would become a ghost town.​

• Only one GM account available on weekends, with hourly time slots for rental using COTOs or service vouchers. (thinking of business, it is a great suggestion as it monetizes the service, IMO)
    - No issues were raised until now.​

• Single use monster spawn items provided by the devs to the POT owner.
    - Possible issue: exp/items farming | Proposed solution: low or no exp/loot summons only.
    Also, the possibility of having to implement a client capable of running these changes was raised, but I'm unsure if this would really be an issue and to what extent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.