Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Thanks for "Examine" devs, a great decision - IMO

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by FrostII, Mar 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Seeing what we are wearing is one thing;), seeing the actual properties, :oops::(

I Like that I can see and the player should have the option :D to allow others to see the properties, then we can actually compare:) suits and stuff or use it to advertise out goods :cool:

FrostII, Leelu, smack and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Love it... don't like the STATs being shown though.

Leelu, Ahuaeynjgkxs, smack and 2 others like this.
  3. helm

helm Avatar

This ability should be linked to appropriate inspection/observation related skill(s), that would also take into account the observer's own skill set.
    For example,
    • an expert archer might have easier time seeing the finer stats in bows, but perhaps not so much in bludgeons.
    • a person accustomed to wearing cloth armor might not be able to appreciate the finer details of plate as much as a person specializing in heavy armor
    • stats should mostly be subject to a generic observance related skill, however for example:
      • a person with low intelligence would probably have a hard time determining the intelligence of a higher Int person with any precision
    This first iteration does give hope that it will, some day.

Leelu, Fringe, Ahuaeynjgkxs and 3 others like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If someone already knows the properties that materials give then seeing those properties on someone's armor should be a no brainer. Oh that armor is meteoric with white iron bindings.. so obviously it has these properties. It shouldn't be that big of a deal.

However, you could tie the ability to basic crafting skills. Any blacksmith for example will know the properties given by different metals or any other material they use in crafting armor.. so they should be able to look at any armor and know the properties. If you have no crafting skill at all.. then maybe you shouldn't be able to see it? That presents a problem though because everyone needs to know the properties on their own armor. So the argument can be made that if you (or your character) understands the material properties of your own gear, then why shouldn't you also be able to recognize the same properties of someone else's?

You can think of it as a necessary, basic inherent knowledge possessed by all avatars. If you can see it.. then you can SEE it. If you know what it is you're looking at.. then there's no reason to hide what it is.

If you don't want people to know what armor your wear.. don't wear it in social settings where people have the luxury of time to pull up your paper doll for a good long look. Or in other words.. don't put it on display for all to see.

Leelu and Lained like this.
  5. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Don't know what you guys are seeing but from my first glance:
    You can pull up the examine from anywhere in game, if you are in a party.
    You only see generic types of armor, no stats at all. Ex: My target had a hardened carp cloth helm, it read "cloth helm" and showed basic generic cloth helm stats.

6. helm

helm Avatar

But is it only material properties that matter? An armor made from meteoric iron and white iron has exactly the same material makeup than a critted armor made from meteoric iron and white iron (even though they might consume different amounts of materials in the crafting base).

I would find it very odd if an expert in halberds would not be able to recognize an exceptional halberd if she saw one, crafter or not. Also I would find it somewhat odd if such a perception would carry over to, say, bows.

I would say it's a combination of knowledge about materials and item/school specific expertise. As an example, an absolute beginner has neither, so this perception should be equally limited.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There is a fine art here in trying to balance multiple lines of valid thinking. Personally, I do think it would be neat if you're ability to recognize gear were based on your character's skill level(s). That would make a certain amount of sense. However, would that give an advantage to those who have crafting skills over those who don't. Some may argue that you're getting a combat advantage through non-combat skills. (Though I don't necessarily have a problem with that, I'm also not a PvPer and I like to craft so take that for what it's worth). If everyone has that same ability then there is no advantage. Is it a big deal? Or is it not?

Personally, if someone wants to have a huge discussion over whether or not it's fair or unfair one way or the other I plan to stay out of it and I really don't care that much either way. I just think if you could normally see something.. then just being able to look at the paperdoll shouldn't be an issue. The finer points I am happy to leave to the devs.

helm likes this.
  8. Selene

Selene Avatar

My only question is.. does it show up in chat.. like "Selene Noctua is inspecting Bowen Bloodgood" or as a personal message "So-and-so is inspecting you" because that might ease some of the concern of PVPers to know WHO is inspecting them.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

An interesting idea.. though I'd want the ability to turn that off.

Leelu and Fister Magee like this.
  10. Xail

Xail Avatar

are you able to see the actual features of what people are wearing? ( me not...so I don't get the sense of this option...)

Leelu likes this.
  11. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Gear checking is great.

The stats at bottom shouldn't be visible.

12. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

That's a really cool concept! I could totally get behind that. In its current state I agree that hooray for the feature but realistically I shouldn't be able to determine a characters stats and such.

Leelu, Oninoshiko and helm like this.
  13. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

Great addition! Thank you! :)

Leelu likes this.
  14. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Very much agree here. The quick (and I think correct) fix here is to just remove everything under the name.

Generally, I think it's reasonable that you should be able to see what's made up a weapon, but once you know that, you know many of the stats on it. The more I think about it, the more I think "Someone who knows about swords should be able to assess the quality of the weapon (critted) and it's state of (dis)repair by looking." Maybe rather then numbers give a verbal assessment, and maybe there should be a skill that decides how knowledgeable you are about types of equipment and how well you can assess them (how accurate that assessment is).

As a crafter, I don't think it's unreasonable that I would put my "mark" on my goods in such a way that it's identifiable to anyone looking.

I think this is a good first pass at a feature, but would like to see a second pass

Leelu likes this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

weapon lore skill please... with limitations linked to distance and level of action

Leelu, Oninoshiko and smack like this.
  16. smack

smack Avatar

Item lore in general would be a great skill tree/line for some players.

17. Draedloth

Draedloth Avatar

Anatomy, intelligence evaluation, arms lore, item identification. All of these sound so familiar and seem to have filed some important purpose for inspecting a long time ago. I just cannot place my finger on it though...

Oh well.

18. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I wish the information shown would be reduced. Some numbers are already not shown, like gold, but I guess that is more a bug than intended. I don't want to show the world the stats of my armor. What I want to know is how the piece is called and how it is dyed, because you can't often tell the colour. But neither should the weapon be shown when sheathed, nor the pet in the whistle when not called.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Leelu like this.
  19. Selene

Selene Avatar

This morning when I was examining someone, I could not tell the stats on their ring (did not show stats gained from crit) or weapon, so I think it is already reduced.

20. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Some are showing something, some not. I would prefere all would show no stats at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.