Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

thanks for not having sexist mmo tropes in the game.

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

one of todays biggest issues in gaming is the inherent sexism in both the industry and its fan base. specifically towards women.

example: armor. seriously, c'mon. the skimpier it is, the more damage it mitigates?

example: no strong female npc's. they are not all helpless fawns to be protected...

there are more, but I'm just keeping this short and sweet.

devs: thanks for not falling into that trap.

armor: from what i can tell, armor is there to be armor, regardless of gender. doesn't mean the shapes have to be sexless, but i see you are not using less armor for better items that show more skin.. fantastic start.

strong female npc's: there isn't much in the way of interaction with most npc's, but the language, mannerisms, etc, I've seen so far - everyone is just as strong and weak as the next. again, fantastic start.

players:
    so far, in my experience starting in r12, i haven't seen any of the standard sexism going on in gaming today. but moving forward with steam users having access to get in the game, and all sorts of new users..it will become an issue, and that is why I'm writing this up.

I'd hope there is something that can be done to mitigate this ongoing issue in the industry on both sides of the player/dev fence, that can be implemented here so we just fricking have to worry about it. does anyone have any suggestions for devs or the community so we can help this become a *cough* moot point?

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Looks are a personal issue, yet I do enjoy that they are conservative for now... :oops:
    Our age range here is older right now, thus the conservative style we currently have. My hopes are that we have a very wide base of variety. Human outward expression of they way they want to look is a personal matter for everyone.
    The kids are coming, but I'll be happy when we do have a great variety to choose from... and that is coming. Maybe not in public release #1, but it's coming ;)
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

it's funny, i saw this post right after this one.

A Ghost and ThurisazSheol like this.
  4. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i was about to respond to that one..then thought better of it, as this topic kind of needs its own thread.

A Ghost likes this.
  5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I've often been involved in these discussions, saying something similar to yours. Last time, I had the last say (everyone ran away). I can't locate the post (too old).

I have said, and will stand by it, that women should have the say in how they look. The men wanting more breasts is completely inappropriate and offensive, and it's definitely not because I'm deficient in that department irl, because I'm not lacking. The gamer gate issue made that pretty clear, and men are retaliating against women having a voice when they ask for equality.

I really appreciate that SotA has not tried to change women into sex goddesses. At least I hope they don't go there. Women will find a way, anyway, to bare themselves. But I hope it's not armor unless the stats match accordingly.

Men have given the "argument" that they like to create female characters and enjoy what they're looking at. I appreciate that, and I also accept real life transvestites, but I would not want them dictating what women should or shouldn't wear.

There are women on the forums that want the sexy armor. I think we could be met half-way and make wearing it in combat a drawback (low stats). At least they've been developing the facial features and height at character creation. It's enough for me.

6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

no mmo tropes? you all should see my wizards triceps, they are rockin' !!!

A Ghost, ThurisazSheol and Caliya like this.
  7. Heskel

Heskel Avatar

Even though gaming culture has become a more mainstream thing there is still a lot of sexism and male dominant influence. Its sad how many games objectify women and you are forced into wearing bikini armor with high heels and stand with a ridiculous oversexualized posture.

A Ghost, ThurisazSheol and Caliya like this.
  8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

and that is what i'm hoping doesn't happen, FORCING people into a stereotype. i agree, there will be people who WANT to dress scantily.. and if you are underdressed you should be underarmored. but the option should be there.

i'm a perfect example, i wear a kilt everywhere i go, in and out of game, but only in game i also wear coconuts when not in combat. i'm ok with the damage protection/avoidance loss, because of the statement i'm making (bring back kilts!)

[​IMG]

i don't get objectified, but if say....Sophi would, she woudl become objectified instantly. and that just isn't right.

A Ghost, parallelogram and Sophi like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

[​IMG]

@ThurisazSheol..... I'm not that clear on the point you are making. Are you for choices in regards to armor or just warning against that there will be requests for skimpier armor for females.
    I saw where you thank the Devs for not falling into that trap. Are you saying the
    trap of not having skimpier armor and over inflated female parts is that what you mean? Well I do fall in the category of wanting a more feminine side of some of the armor and clothing and provideing options. It's not that i don't love the armor that has been created so far it is gorgeous, but I would request a bit more to roleplay with. It doesn't have to be like Tera, Archeage, and many other games out there, but a bit more girly options available would be my wish. I don't think we have seen much of it yet. I don't think now is the time to take away from getting the core systems in and working. I do want to role play my own style, and if there are no choices that part would be no fun. So hopefully we will be able to come to a compromise. LOL just to add I saw the unarmors comment, well that is indiviidual, like denin and diamonds . Of course I couldn't fight well when I tried by taking off my armor, but if we has a costume tab that displays what I want to show and keeps the armor effects I am for that, and some may not, but that is the compromise hopefully we can come to one.;)**cheers**

10. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm saying that I'm glad they aren't going for the stereotypes and forcing it on people. I'd hope like you that the players can choose to if they wish. its not that i think items like that shouldn't be in the game, but i think that the player should be given the choice if they wish to wear them, and have ralistic pros and cons with the way it looks.

11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Just be careful asking for these things. Just because you are female doesn't mean you can't be labeled as misogynistic, by some feminist religious fanatics. I'm not kidding.

I personally am very glad SotA is being very conservative right now, because there is some heavy scrutiny happening in the gaming industry right now by some well meaning people that are taking a good thing (respect for women), and making a radical crusade about it.

I mention it incase you haven't heard about the chaos in the news. It is seriously politically (arguably religiously) charged and people are very polarized in their views both ways. People demonized by both sides.

So maybe using more imagination is better than sota comming under fire from any radical group of activists. In fact let them act like the activists so they never become the target and eventually the movement will blow over because it always does... Then again Jessie Jackson has been around for quite a while. LoL

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Isaiah, I'm all for variety and your point is well taken. I was trying on different outfits for my character last night and what we have in game is really nice. I'm just asking for more variety, so we can be creative not necessarily disrespectful of others or women, whatever that
    means to each person will be different. Yes I will use my imagination for sure. ;)

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well then you are a prize.;) and yes she is very pretty. Hopefully we'll get some sneak peeks soon for what will be in store for us:)

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I don't care about the gear, i look good in anything. Some tend to turn this into a men vs woman thing, it isn't. Both sexes get carried away in fantasy settings. As long as a string bikini doesn't offer the same protection as full plate it's all good.

Tahru, ThurisazSheol, A Ghost and 5 others like this.
  15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i want to wear one under my kilt. it makes me feel pretty.

Tahru and Themo Lock like this.
  16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

As is your right ^.^

Tahru and ThurisazSheol like this.
  17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I be one o' dem der wimmin's libbers.

I think it's perfectly fine if a woman expresses she wants to wear something sexy. I just don't want men dictating it.

Skidd Vortex, steanne and Tahru like this.
  18. Skidd Vortex

Skidd Vortex Avatar

I mostly want the option in female armor to dress conservatively, if I want to. I don't even care if they have a sexy version of the same armor which carries the same stats. But I don't want to be forced to dress my character like a whore simply because she is female. I hated that about ArcheAge.

Caliya and Katrin Bekers [PeV] like this.
  19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Except we have some truly wonderful men here who will give great opinions. I feel they are welcome to voice their thoughts as we are. and if they joke about it that is ok, sometimes a joke is not knowing exactly what to say, but still wanting to be here with us.
    Unfortunately I do not have too thin of a skin and I do know some may. It is impossible to know how a comment can be taken with so many outlooks in life, but if there are men here who would like to participate in this or any discussion they should not be
    put off from doing so. **cheers everyone and yaaay R15**

20. Musaab Osman

Musaab Osman Avatar

If you wanna make a fat woman, you should be allowed, too.

If you wanna make an attractive woman, you should be allowed to do that, as well.

Katrin Bekers [PeV] likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.