Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The 4 Principles of Balanced Combat: And my thoughts on PVP R8

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Armor should defend against weapons. So a warrior fighting another warrior would have an epic battle.

However the opposite is NOT TRUE.

If mages are expected to kill warriors, and it is more difficult to kill warriors as a mage then the mage is at a disadvantage. If they fix that disadvantage, then what happens when a mage fights another mage or lightly armored person... The lightly armored person would be DESTROYED by magic if they tune magic to be able to be ballanced against full armored players.

The result is leave it as it is. Warriors in armor get full damage from spells for the most part, and weapons should bust up mages rather fast... this is already created with balance in mind.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

In light of what you're saying to which I fully agree with most of your post's conjectures, and I'm also a Doombot (big fan of the Doc)...
    Something bugs me about all this talk about balancing play styles...

"Big Fan"
    I'm a big fan of many of the posting members here and I truly enjoy stopping by this (one of my most favorite) threads. This thread has had visits from many great players I stalk and learn from in all their posts... so I can then pass that knowledge off as my own intellect within the game so I don't sound so stupid :p But there is something that bothers me here and in other threads that compare magery to melee...

"What's Pure in the World"
    There are no pure Mages nor pure Knights because most of what we are speaking of here, are High Hybrids of their styles of play. The Mage still needs a weapon or their fists and the Knight is still going to need magical bandages. Yet these are not what bother me that much (other than it's my belief that style and flare of chr skills are needing more attention for their more precise fitting to the fun style of the player, but more need to become balanced to any rivaling skill within the classes).

"What bothers me is"
    We seem to be attempting to balance the seesaw of two styles and forgetting about the third which is the Hybrid... The Hybrid that I may add, "that is kicking everyone's can all over our Arenas". Both the mage and the knight are both at extreme disadvantage to such skills sets. Thus, I say that the discussion of balance is not a seesaw, it's a lopsided marry-go-round, where the elephant in the room seems to be ignored when speaking of any balance within our systems of style. "Style" seems the argument be tween the Mage and the Knight who wish theirs to be balanced in disregard to balancing both of those "preferred styles" the hybrid. We all seem to wish, that when the Mage meets the Knight, that each has an equal chance of winning, yet when we pit each of these against the hybrid, the hybrid wins, which has been depicted within our PvP Arena.

"Understanding the Importance of Style"
    I love what they are doing with our game of that I have no doubt because I love playing in it so far... but it bugs me to not see the pure Mage, it bugs me that I see no pure Knight, it bugs me I don't see the Assassin, it bugs me that I don't see the Necromancer, the Paladin, the Cannibal, the Undead or the Thief...
    Some would argue that those are somehow needing to be "fake role played" or that a Thief isn't a PvP chr...
    there have been many times that I didn't want to carry all that crap to the battlefield because all I needed was already there and provided by my opponent free for the un-asked & un-welcomed taking. Most real combat soldiers are carrying everything anyone needs to kill them with as long as you can just get close enough by rush or by stealth.... in that sense the enemy is always a literal 7-11 store for all yours and his killing needs.

"The Apparent"
    It's not the Mage and it's not the Knight that kicking everyone's can, it's the Hybrid and all else is only for style...
    "The Apparent is Much Easier to See"
    Just some thoughts... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Whew. Magical equipment is tricky. Should magic be able to enhance cloth against physical attacks? I say yes, but not very much. Plain heavy armor should still provide better resistance than magical cloth in my opinion. And magical heavy armor should protect you much better. It's tricky. The devs are going to have a lot of fine tuning to do as the game advances. No doubt about that.

Ragnabrock and Time Lord like this.
  4. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I vote no on any kind of special clothing items that protect people like armor can. NO Modern day UO clothing or gear please.

5. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I can't comment on UO, never played it. But as it stands cloth armor does have an armor value (or at least epic cloth does) and I'm thinking you'll be able to enchant it. Won't hurt my feelings one way or another as long as heavier armor choices are always stronger. YMMV.

Ragnabrock and Time Lord like this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Squishies are meant to be squishy. If you don't want to be squishy, wear armor.

Vendetta Beretta and Time Lord like this.
  7. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

I have no problem with epic cloth armor protecting some, but it shouldn't be this super armor. Also I would be a little bit distressed if any armor was super protective of a particular damage type. I hope they don't go that route. If somebody was super fire resistant then fire mages will be super useless against that person. If somebody was super physical resistant (beyond the "damage resistance" plate offers), then it renders warriors particularly useless.

Then I really hope they don't start putting energy types in weapons themselves!!! For example having a sword that does 10% fire damage, 40% physical damage.. etc etc That is crazy as in totally insane type damage. Let a physical weapon do 100% physical damage, and it is a flaming sword, let it do the 100% physical damage, and have a bonus flame damage.

Well in UO "these days" a jester's hat might provide just as good protection as a plate helm. All damage is broken up into physical, fire, energy, and poison. You get a percentage in each of these. 70% I believe is the maximum in each. So you can wear just basic clothing as long as it adds up to 70% in all those things you are at maximum protection. Also weapons either do all physical damage, or they do elemental damages as well always adding up to 100%. So you can have a katana that does 50% physical, 10%fire, 20%poison, 20% energy damage. The damage is broken up between each of the damage types who knows the reason... So mages are just as protected as warriors. Either way there is no need for heavy armor that slows you down when you can be dressed like a clown with the same or better protection. How ridiculous is that?

**I must protest in advance if the dev staff is planning on having weapons break up their damage between all the elemental damages, and make special clothes and armor do the same. I doubt they will, but I say it so that players don't ask for it.

Jambot, Time Lord and docdoom77 like this.
  8. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.