Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The bad of player music...

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I love that players can play music. It's a fantastic feature.

But there's at least one downside - human nature.

I went into Owl's Head and played a few songs. I actually had someone stop and sit down and listen to me, and when it got dark he shined a lantern like it was a lighter, it was pretty cool. :)

Then Jack Knyfe from the Phoenix Republic walked right up into my face, and played a Rick Astley song over top of my music. It may be the single most awful thing I've seen in SOTA yet. Really disappointing that he would go out of his way to ruin that moment. Hey, it's day one of music in SOTA, I think I'll rick roll the first person I see!

I didn't say anything to Jack in-game, I just stopped playing and walked away. Maybe he didn't realize how completely awful that was, but it was bad from my point of view. I'm sure he's a nice guy, maybe he just has a different sense of humor than I do.

After awhile, I thought about it again and realized that because there was only consensual pvp, this kind of thing is going to happen more than I'd like. So the only way to really impact that is to call people out - so that's one reason I put the name of the player on here. You have to own it and make decisions about what you want to be remembered for. And to be fair, if this were just some random player I probably wouldn't have called him out like this because I wouldn't have remembered his name.

Of course, there will be worse things that I see in SOTA, and this isn't the biggest problem in the world. But I think it's a problem in need of a solution.

I don't have a solution though. Maybe once someone starts playing then they "have the floor" until the song is done?

Elwyn and Kaisa like this.
  2. Montaigne

Montaigne Avatar

How awful for you. Perhaps he was challenging you to a strum-off?

3. Drocis the Devious

Yep, could've been any number of things. His intent could've been completely peaceful and friendly. There is that possibility. Whenever I want to communicate that on the internet my first choice is usually Rick Astley. :)

I honestly don't know what his intentions were.

My point in posting this was two fold.

1. To call out behavior (that may very well be explainable!) that I didn't like. I feel strongly about this. If anything it was a lapse in judgement. He's welcome to explain.
    2. I wanted to think of solutions to this problem, it's going to happen a lot in the current iteration.

Montaigne likes this.
  4. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This along with players jumping around everywhere, "funny" playernames, strange decorations, people dancing on rooftops or in dungeons etc. are some reasons why I prefer playing in SP, perferably in offline mode...

5. Drocis the Devious

:) Well I can certainly understand how you feel. But I love multiplayer, and I love that people can "do stuff" to interact with other players. I'm really not looking for a way to not be annoyed. This is more about finding ways for people not to completely abuse mechanics.

If every time someone is trying to play a serious song and not get interrupted there's no way to prevent that or hold people accountable for that (like now) then music is really wasted on the people that would enjoy it the most.

I'm totally for people doing what they want and being jerks and running around free. But there has to be a way to use things like musical instruments for how they were meant to be used. If at some point we allow a few people to ignore that despite other players wishes, well then that's call a pvp zone, and the players have more power to self-police there. :)

6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Well as bad as that is it's still not as bad as lute training at Brit bank in UO. Where the music macros never end.

7. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I can't help to find it funny, but i'm just that silly :p

I can't deny you have a point... some measures are taken to avoid disruptive behavior... where's the line between what's disruptive and what's funny? I find it funny because it's a game with a level of interaction close to real life in that aspect... in the same way i find funny to get ganked by two pk's while trading the loot to my mounted mate because my mount was killed (true story). What can we do to solve humans? Maybe we need consensual concerts :D

8. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

This seems a bit over the Top calling a player out in the Forums, he was not doing anything illegal, it's selective Multiplayer so until Friends online its all part of the game.
    Although Decorations etc that players dump on the world you are stuck with it, like it or not.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

There's a part of me that finds it funny too. I hadn't thought of that move, it's kind of clever. But is it funny and clever when it happens to you? Or is it funny and clever when it happens 3 times a day? Or is it funny and clever when it happens during an event?

That's my point, and I think you get that. I can certainly take a step back and see the humor in it now though. That's why I'm not raging, I'm just trying to fix a gap in the game.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

Actually, in a PVE situation, this is all I can do. I didn't call him a name, I didn't state any facts that were not 100% true. So I'm letting public opinion decide his fate or enhance his reputation. He's the "prime minister" of a well known, well established guild. So maybe that's not the kind of thing he wants to be doing if he agrees that it doesn't bode well for their reputation? Or maybe that's the kind of good "fun" you have when you team up with them. I don't know.

That's not for me to decide. But I'm free to talk about what I experience in game, and people can judge me for that too. Am I just a stick in the mud because I "can't take a joke?" Was this just a misunderstanding? Or do I have a point? Everyone can decide on an individual basis. I'm comfortable knowing that all I did was try to play music, and when I was interrupted I just walked away.

Now I'm trying to be constructive about that situation.

11. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

Yes :rolleyes:

12. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Yeah, putting aside wether it's funny or not, i totally get it. And as i said, i can feel a reason to think about it... if i only have an hour a week and i want to play my songs and some people barge in and play something over mine... how's that different from being killed and striped away of your posessions? i'd personally say it's clever and funny everytime, but the game seems to be designed in a way we protect players from that feeling. If the game is trying to avoid disruptive gameplay, maybe this is worth thinking to see if there's an easy way to avoid it...

Sadly, i can just come up with consensual concerts :D

lmao

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey, and if we could initiate combat with anyone, you could kill someone who interrupted your concert. ;) "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." - Robert A. Heinlein

Kaisa, Ravicus Domdred and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

I agree with you, but this gets us into blue healer territory really quick.

Then what you have is people rick rolling everyone that they can beat in a fight. Double the "fun".

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Ah well it was just hypothetical. :) We'd need a game with real consequences to both dying and also being a criminal before player justice would work, and even then, you'd be the criminal for killing someone who was just playing a lute!

Seriously, though, Jack is a nice guy, and he would have knocked it off if you asked him :) Other than that, "taking the floor" with a piece of music does make some sense, but even if that existed, Jack could have still interrupted you between songs, so he would have still been able to rickroll you, and monopolize the floor if he managed to time it right. I'm not sure if there's a solution to this other than playing music in a more private place.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Problem is that bands have advantages against soloists!! :mad: Is that how symphonic orchestras born? :D

I just think that since the game seems to care for people interferring with other person's gameplay, this is worth a thought.

Nah, how could they let you down in the floor, then run around and desert you? :D

17. Drocis the Devious

He seems like a nice enough guy. I'm not disputing that. I don't think it should be on me, in the middle of my song, to say "hello kind sir, please stop rick rolling me." :)

It's ok if people think I'm a stick in the mud. I happen to think I did pretty well with that situation considering I had no control over it. If I didn't think it was funny at the time, it didn't matter because someone else choose to put me in that situation. In a way you could say my feelings and sense of humor was irrelevant and the joke was at my expense, by design.

It's funny (to me) to think about showing up to a Port Phoenix event and rick rolling everyone at the most inopportune moments. Then I could say "you guys don't get the joke?" Just for example. But I wouldn't do that, even though I do see the humor in these situations.

Where I went out and commissioned original music for Shroud of the Avatar, had it put into .abc format, took time to go stand in Owl's Head to great new players that might happen by. Someone else downloaded a notorious troll song, walked into the scene and said "yeah, that guy contributing something meaningful, he's the one". Went out of his way to walk right up in front of me and drown out my song, without ever saying a word. Was probably too busy laughing at his own joke. Or so I assume. It may not have happened exactly like that, I don't know what his side of the experience actually looked like.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  18. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

If you showed up at a port phoenix event and began playing rick astley, you would probably have everyone in the republic pick up an instrument and join in....

19. Drocis the Devious

It's a good thing I'd never do that then. :)

Jack Knyfe likes this.
  20. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

You can play on a loop, so a troll can do that to block others from playing as well.

The only solution I can imagine is for the /ignore feature to cover player music from that feature.

And while I have no love for trolls, I'd urge against naming specific players and shaming them on the forums. That is generally looked down upon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.