Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The bad of player music...

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think in this case, it's up to you to decide if it's warranted. It's an event that happen in game, I didn't appreciate it. I think it is a good example of feedback for the development team to show an annoying aspect of the music system that needs fixed. But I also think that in this particular case, if you're a strong community member you either own it and take the heat (which he appears to be doing) or you say "sorry man, you're right I didn't really think about how that might not be appreciated in that situation. It won't do it again".

You would do this because either A: You don't care. or B: You do care.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Drocis,

The question is -- Do you think 'taking the floor' and have people only interrupt you between songs is a better way for the game to do it than having them interrupt you in the middle of a song?

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think in a npc town you have no say. Who was there first, who is the troll, who is better or worse is all subjective. You can play in your own town if you want peace, and ban the trolls. :p

Jack Knyfe likes this.
  4. redfish

redfish Avatar

:D I was standing in the pews listening to Amber's sermon this morning, and, after reading this thread, I was wondering whether I should rickroll her sermon.

Thankfully, my better senses took hold, and I decided not to do it. (Actually I never would have ;) )

Jack Knyfe likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Come to Owl's Head!

There are three people playing music over top of each other. One is the the theme song from Cheers. One is just free styling nonsense. And one other guy is playing a song I don't recognize on his lute that sounds more like a xylophone, but I will call it "horrible, by someone that can't play music".

There's also several people shooting at a half dead gust ball, including a phoenix! And there's a few people running around for no apparent reason at all. One has no pants, yay!

Owl's Head Online misses you, Lord Darkmoon! :)

[​IMG]

6. Drocis the Devious

Yes I do. I think that makes sense.

7. Drocis the Devious

I was there first, I was all alone in fact playing by myself. Then someone stopped to enjoy the music. Then someone else entered the scene and disrupted that, apparently for their own enjoyment.

I realize I'm in an NPC town. I'm not saying people shouldn't have a right to do whatever they want. I'm saying we need better mechanics for music so there's the POSSIBILITY of playing music in a meaningful way in an NPC town.

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

If you played uo you know how this plays out. Brit bank or the new player spawning areas all had people playing over each other, macroing for hours and hours. Maybe like I said play in your own town and invite people to listen, because there will be nothing short of single player/fpo to stop people from doing what they want.

9. Drocis the Devious

What do people that have no town do then? :)

This isn't about me specifically, Ravicus (not beyond my first point in the OP). It's about the mechanics that will make this a better game. I think the devs will understand that playing over top of each other is not "good". Even though UO had it that way, there's no reason we can't improve on that.

In fact, this is a good example of EXACTLY what the devs don't want "UO stories with the Grief". They want UO stories without the grief.

10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I understand that. But no one person is above another person in a common area. You are claiming that you have the right to play. That means that everyone else has the right to play. 1. You can move to a different area. 2. you can invite people to that area to listen 3. you cannot tell others they cannot play in a public area. 4. you can block/ignore that other person 5. you can go to single player or fpo (in the future

majoria70 likes this.
  11. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Who the heck is Rick Astley? :confused:

12. Drocis the Devious

Yes, correct.

I was in the area first. If I ignore a player it doesn't stop them from playing over me to everyone else in the scene. I have a right to play, and that right was taken away from me in that scene. I can't play for other people in single player online mode.

You're not using very good logic here I'm afraid, Ravicus. I hope you think about what you're saying. You're saying that there should be no expectation that you will ever be able to play music without being played over in an NPC town.

That's not good for the game, and I'm confident that the devs will see it that way. I'm not at all sure why you would argue against that logic. You're trying to protect a persons right to grief other players?

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

14. Drocis the Devious

There's this thing called google...

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

You see it one way, I see it the other. You have the ability to stop them, just not in the multiplayer mode.

16. Drocis the Devious

Where else would I play music to strangers but multiplayer mode?

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

"the world is a stage" option when it becomes available.

18. Drocis the Devious

I think every person playing music should have a temporary stage. Otherwise that "world" Is very small, and currently doesn't exist at all.

Here's another way to look at it. Notice I didn't say that a player should be allowed to run up next to me as I'm walking down the street and randomly play Rick Astley. What I said is that when I'm the first person to play music in an area (and this is a small small area of effect) then my music should not be interrupted by someone other persons music. It seems like such a clear point of logic to me.

If I'm walking down the street and someone plays music I don't like, I CAN move, and I CAN put them on ignore, etc... But if I'm standing in an area playing music, I can't do those things without completely disrupting what I was trying to do in the first place. That's why this is griefing.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

you seem to think you own your space in a public area. I do not think you do. "the world is a stage" stretch goal lets you "rent" a public space for your performance.

20. Drocis the Devious

I don't say I own the space...I say that in order to make music in a public area meaningful and for players to have some form of expression, we should not allow them to play over each other...that fixes a lot of problems.

Why would we want players to play over each other? It sounds horrible, it ruins free expression, and there's already a function to allow multiple players to play "together" if they want to. So if they want to do that, they can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.