Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The bad of player music...

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Here's my take on this. Because...you asked. (Right?)

It's funny the first time your uncle says "Pull my finger" and toots. It's obnoxious when he does it at your grandmother's funeral...and it's your grandmother's finger. (Rest in Peace grandma!)

I think the FIRST Rickroll is hilarious, especially in this situation. ONLY (AND ONLY) because music was just introduced, it's not exactly SIMPLE to create an .abc file (I am so backwards on it already) and because it takes some measure of Uncle Obnoxious to find the right time. Middle of a sincere moment in an pre-alpha game and we're starting to feel like a coherent community? Nailed it.

Having said that. It illustrates the kind of disruptive behavior that can be created by the tools we're given. Much in the same way griefer PKs can ruin your day. "Oh Bob, you got me. Great kill. Wait...why are you stalking me...?"

We need to find a way to "fine tune" our experience.

Some Potential Examples:

* If we /ignore a player, mute their music as well, maybe just erase them from our experience online.
    * If more than one musician is in range, we can select which we wish to hear (or party) we wish to experience and can ignore the Rickrollers (this is better than going in public in REAL life!)

If he means Joseph Campbell the writer, he's the guy who proposed the hero of the thousand faces. I don't get the connection myself since...well...he does make sense...I would need further explanation on that one.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You get it. Thanks for the post man. :)

Also, I've been rick rolled three times this morning by other players. At least, that's what they tell me, my player music is completely turned off. ;)

3. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

"It may be the single most awful thing I've seen in SOTA yet"

Yo should play more with me... :p

Well, in the final game you will be able to ban anyway that you want from "your" game, or not?

4. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, people can put other players on ignore. We can do that now. It doesn't prevent a totally preventable unwanted experience from happening though. This is about making the game better so that this doesn't happen to begin with. It's senseless that we would allow this to happen in the future.

Also, I'm sure I'll see far worse things happen in the largest PVP city in the game - that I happen to own. :)

But looking at this objectively, this is one player taking advantage of mechanics that can't be countered. You simply have to get disrupted - just because you do. That's the problem.

5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I was wondering: is it allowed to play copyrighted music in the game? I think that in some countries this could maybe become problematic. Even some Youtube videos are banned in some countries because of copyrighted music....

6. Drocis the Devious

If it was a problem, I don't know how they would police that. I for one would not be sad to stop hearing the theme from "The A-TEAM" as I walked through town however. ;)

It's really funny to watch people though. Some idiot plays "Baby's Got Back" and immediately someone near by says "woo hoo! baby got back" while some other moron dances a jig.

I guess it would be fine if 2 minutes later the same thing wasn't happening with 3 other random people. But it makes them happy and it fits into the lore, so whatever, it's fine with me. I'm glad they like "the music".

7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I dont know, because players put the music, not Portalarium. For example, in Battlefield you have here an in-game voice system, to speak with your team. But you can play music or wathever, nothing happend. Maybe their yoputube videos cannot played in Germany, but thats not a big problem if is all the problem.

8. Godfrey

Godfrey Avatar

In my opinion, Joseph Campbell is really only relevant anymore if you're a New Ager with more hope than sense. Besides, most of academia won't touch him with a ten-foot pole these days due to more and more information coming through about blatant racist beliefs in his life. Two very different people inside one man.

He also focused a lot of the concept of "heroism" in his later writings but no practical experience to really understand what that means. "Armchair expert" is a good moniker for him, although there are many people who still think he's brilliant (like Bill Moyers, which does nothing but provide fuel for conspiracy theorist nut-cases). I don't share that opinion. I think he's a hack and a hypocrite. I relegated his books to the Red Cross donation bin long ago.

9. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Docis, I read this and thought since I saw you in Owl's Head I'd play you two tunes to cheer you up. I had on the docket Ultima 5 Lord Blackthorn and Ultima 5 Fanfare.

I appreciate that you did tell me you did not have player music off. So I stopped playing music and you and I had a nice conversation.

No worries. Maybe next time. :)

10. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

My only hope is that eventually the veterans participating in the nonsense trolling soon tire of it. And it becomes lame and passe in (most) everyone's eyes to do it. Eventually I have a feeling the humor will wear off for most folks and you'll primarily only see the occasional new players acting like an idiot because they don't realize it's been done 2348505234 times now and is no longer moronically innovative.

P.S. I do also find the humor in what happened to you personally, Drocis...but not at your expense. I find it amusing that people still Rick Roll others with Astley. C'mon....that is so 8 years ago. Surely you silly people can be more creative and original--or at least current--with your "humor". This reminds me of a friend who had a penchant for sharing viral youtube videos that everyone not living under a rock had seen years ago and thought he was being incredibly trendy. I guess the moral is you're only serving to embarrass yourself (in the eyes of your community that is). It's your own reputation.

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'd say it depends on how far it runs afoul of fair use criteria. Is playing from sheet music privately to your family a violation of the law? What if I'm playing just to a few friends within the game world?

12. monkeyrogue

monkeyrogue Avatar

Oooo can we get a Golf Clap that includes a sneer? or something else that speaks of complete disdain?

Just something that says "yes jerkface, that was cute...now go clean your diapers".

13. Drocis the Devious

Sorry I missed that man.

That was really nice of you. It's appreciated, and I will take you off of my 'rick rolled' list of death and destruction. :)

Duke Gréagóir likes this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

I just created a hamsterdance.abc

monkeyrogue and Jack Knyfe like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

I don't even know what that is. :) No I'm not looking it up.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Now I got a trololo.abc

17. Drocis the Devious

Yes, that's what we need more of. Please bring the internet into my escape from the internet. Thank you, redfish.

monkeyrogue and redfish like this.
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Ode to the Lonely Bard

The bard's performance thus had begun,
    A lute his weapon of lyrical crime,
    As onlookers fled one by one,
    Only a cricket left to keep the time.

19. Drocis the Devious

It's really a good thing that I'm not a bard and was only trying to test out the music system. Otherwise I'd be really upset.

20. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

I struggle to find the logic in creating this thread and continuing it well beyond even that failed logic, but your exaggeration of the issue is not without its humor! That said you really should have spoken to the person in question on the spot. What can we do about it in a forum after the fact except overthink and complicate the matter straight into obfuscation?

Try asking nicely next time, see if it gets you anywhere!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.