Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The bad of player music...

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

1. I shouldn't have to ask someone not to rick roll me. I shouldn't have to say "hello good sir, please don't rick roll me. I do not appreciate being the expense of your joke." People should have more etiquette. But more importantly they should figure out "yeah I was an idiot" and self correct.
    2. I think it was done out of disrespect for me personally. Why? He hasn't apologized. Which is fine, he's entitled to be that way. But hey that's why you call people out for there nonsense. He seems comfortable with it, and I'm more than comfortable calling him out on it.

This is behavior that is unwanted. There's really no logic to substantiate what happened, outside of "hey man sorry" or "my bad I was just joking around". But the point of the thread is not only to call this behavior out, it's more importantly to prevent it in the future with better design.

I totally knew when I wrote the OP that someone would say I was overreacting. But that's kind of a cop out. I didn't do anything wrong. It's not wrong for me to write this post. It's not wrong for me to call this out as lame and something we should work to fix.

helm likes this.
  2. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

I don't really think this problem is large or impactful enough to warrant developer time to address it, honestly. Players do a fine job of governing situations like this themselves. I'm sure if you had asked Jack not to interrupt he would have gladly obliged. A simple "No cross-play, please." Probably would have done the trick.

This is after all, the internet. People are bound to play jokes on you. I'm sure this is not the first time someone's pulled a good humor prank on you. Now, if someone were say, following you around and interrupting you every time you tried to play, I could understand a little frustration, but quietly walking away and not handling the situation as it became a problem, when it was a problem, and instead making a forum post to vent about a good-natured joke is not a very healthy way to handle a prank.

3. Drocis the Devious

Shouldn't have to do that. Performance is already impacted.

BTW, how is this different than PVP? If you don't want to pvp is it acceptable for the development team to say "Hey just ask them to stop looting your stuff and spawm camping you."?

Seems reasonable to me to have a 100% consensual music environment.

4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

LOTRO and Archage currently have the same feature and haven't had problems with it. The game company itself is not providing the copyrighted music, and you're making your own cover of their song. And you're not profiting from it in any way. It very likely would be covered by fair use.

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm actually was not serious about using it casually :) I'm pretty much a role-player. Although I tried it in game, and without the sung lyrics it actually doesn't sound so trollish; just a jaunty melody. The dragon didn't seem to appreciate it though...

6. Rasmenar

Rasmenar Avatar

If you expect that in an online multiplayer game, people will never attempt to prank you or make a joke at your expense, you have a very naive view of the internet. There comes a point when you have to be able to take a joke or just shy away from online play.

7. Drocis the Devious

Open pvp for everyone then. Cool.

Learn to take a joke, PVE people. Exact same argument.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My question would be if there is to be some priority on music what "rules" would be followed?

Que, first come first serve, "hey I just got here when is it my turn", popularity, etc.

Each of these could be used to stuff someone's (if not everyone's) ability to play. I can see how it can be annoying but I can also see how it would be annoying trying to get a turn to play when someone is hogging the stage by exploiting the rules.

I can't see any logical reasoning for limiting songs.

9. Drocis the Devious

Good questions...

I think if the range is small, it just becomes a matter of who got their first. If some guy wants to play all day long in the center of Owl's Head...great, let him. But if he get disconnected or his song stops playing and someone else takes over that little area he's in....now they have it.

I don't see a downside to that, do you? I mean, if the guy playing isn't any good or people don't appreciate his music, they will go somewhere else. But this prevents 3 people playing different songs at once (that's not doing anyone any good) or someone trying to disrupt an honest attempt at entertaining (just cause).

Could there be people that say "I never get to play in the center of Owl's Head!" Sure. But there will be multiple scenes and I can think of worse problems to have. It's a big world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.