The Bug Brigade - Community QA Volunteers Needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Attenwood, Oct 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

yeah I know but the new guy could have ben put here in stead of PvP and worked on issues that deal with more then 15% of the community and in an area that will have lasting affects not an areas that will just take more and more since it will never be balance and the one being worked for will never be happy, they will always want more and more and more.

But getting OT I will stop.

I would help but the first thing I would do is delete every bug not submitted without the "/bug" pasted in start making it uniform, as requested

With that alone a simple database could be generated. SIMPLE

Net and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  2. moko

moko Avatar

What about the cases where you want to report the exact same bug but at a different /loc? Isn't pasting the coordinates in another post in the original thread the sensible thing to do instead of repeating everything in OP with the new location coordinates?

Also, while I agree that adhering to the template is usually sensible and needed I disagree with deleting reports. I am often searching before reporting and if the bug has been reported, even without adhering to the template, I will not make another thread. So initially there would be quite a loss of reports until someone maybe encountered the bug again and decided to put it up using the template...

4EverLost, Moiseyev Trueden and Aord like this.
  3. Aord

Aord Avatar

Hmm... what about the bugs reported for earlier releases? Do they fall through the cracks?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    Nhili Dragon, Black Tortoise and moko like this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@moko

The way I'd do it is using Snippets and title Prefix for sorting and ease-of-use. Where Snippets are cookie cutter answers for easy pasting plus Prefix is an easy to recognize text+style for the Status of the report.

Then for each report that is not in the standard format you paste in the "explain to user why the format matters" Snippet and click the "Update Required" prefix.

You can see the prefix stuff in effect in xenforo's own bug reporting:
    https://xenforo.com/community/forums/bugs/

But really, the even easier method is to have a proper bug reporting interface in the product, with fields to fill in/skip etc, which does the "new post" in the correct forum for you (if you chose correctly in the interface of course) all the way up so that it is just hitting "submit" if you want, or add more if you want that.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-owned-towns-player-housing.716/create-thread
    If it is easier to do the right thing, and harder to do the wrong thing, then behavior will change accordingly.

5. Aord

Aord Avatar

This.

Solazur and moko like this.
  6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

There is a problem since non standard report will not easily paste into a simple spread sheet, it is EASY to hit / bug and the "ctrl v" to paste it wherever you want even if just adding it to another report.

If they want people to track and do things for them, the easiest is have a SIMPLE data base that is consistnat in format for easy use.

As soon as you create another style you are breaking the ease and workability.

It is simple, start going off track and it is easy get junk all over and junk being put in and you get junk out.

A Dev can send a message - Bug removed - not proper format - and wala start ball rolling.

To those who are going to complain that they get a browser they don't want or any other excuse - type /bug close the junk - open whatever you want and hit "ctrl V" in the body and the bug report pastes it in.

eazy peazy

what we have now leads to these exact problems they have now - no record or eays way to store, scan, clean update . . . . . garbage in garbage out

7. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Ummm...

THIS PROPERLY FILED REPORT:

Got ZERO attention.

FrostII and Net like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not true, it got looked at and it was found that it is just displaying incorrectly on the tool tip. Just because nobody gave you a cookie doesn't mean it was unseen. It does make people feel better when responses are made like "bug filed" however.

9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Also that bug was reported multiple times both on forum and on discord.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

The reason there needs to be a standard is not to tell players anything it is so that a person in charge can grab those lines and paste them in to a spreadsheets or Access type database that makes it functional.

Look I am done with this I will help out where needed but will not wade thru bugs that are not standard, need a viable standard starting ppoint thet everyone can look at and use to make any tool viable across different places and people.

Net likes this.
  11. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

One last thing Discord is not a tool for reporting bugs - one place, one format, one standard and things can work to move forward spread is out and around and you are shooting yourself in the feet before you even start.

Duke Gréagóir, 4EverLost and Net like this.
  12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not when you are having a conversation with the dev that worked on the thing that is bugged " hey this is broke in this way"..."oh? Jira entered".

13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Sent you a PM @Attenwood . I think this is an important job because it's easy for bugs to slip through the cracks if they get put on the back burner for something else.

Moiseyev Trueden and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Ravalox

Ravalox Chief Cook and Bottle Washer Moderator SOTA Developer

Sending you a PM @Attenwood ... Hope to be of as much assistance as I can. :-D

Moiseyev Trueden and 4EverLost like this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

and then the bug does not get on the forums and not reported like is should be therefore a player who comes along later on cant see that it was found recorded and being worked on - - -

One Place

One Format

One database

if there are any other routes you cause problems period - the only exception is a bug that could offset the game massively and those can be PMed.

There are problems now and a need for help because of these exact things going on - if it stayed one / one / one from the beginning tracking monitoring and repairing would be easier.

peace out done here, it appears it will flounder along just like the rest of the game with the sort it out later mindset.

Net likes this.
  16. Black Death

Black Death Avatar

The screen flickers alot and i can see my desktop then sometimes while fighting it goes to my desktop and i have to alt enter back to the game.....

from a old 97 UO player its almost been 30 years and i all i am happy about is that i got to keep my real old name that i have used from then till now..
    due to i am the real the only the Original Black Death.... there can be only 1....

/Black Death/M&D/Baja/STL/Defiance. Shadowlords....

17. Black Death

Black Death Avatar

if it was any other game i would have felt tricked and mad when i bought the game then had to donate to play... but this game i would donate 1000$ if i had it extra.... keep up the good work and this time never sell it....

18. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

@Black Death What graphics card do you have? I played way too much everquest in my time and I had a problem with a particular nvidia card I bought.. i saw what you get, plus occasionally it was like a kaleidoscope with scenery..

19. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Sorry but Nope... It is NOT just a tooltip display error. In fact, it is a HUGE error affecting physical dmg mitigation such that someone wearing chain (45% less) or plate (~55% less) takes a huge penalty to the skill.

I tested that. The tooltip AND the character sheet are in agreement that the skill provides less when armor is equipped... Not just a 'tooltip displays wrong value but its actually working' scenario.

For example, I have 10.5% Max Resist NAKED (all from SoS)
    I add a piece of gear (not the chest armor, that triggers heavy armor passive, but could illustrate with that too) such as my chain boots that have +6.5%... Lo and behold! My character sheet displays my current max resist as 16.3% with the new BUGGED SKILL SoS displaying a benefit of 9.8% (+6.5% from boots = 16.3% displayed) now. It should be displaying 10.5 + 6.5 = 17% Max Resist, but it is not. I'm cheated out of 0.7% Max Resist from a SINGLE piece of gear and one of the least beneficial at that! As stated before, I'm losing 45% of the SoS Max Resist% bonus passive because I wear a set of chain.

Again, VERY valid and well done reports are being completely looked over far too quickly as 'we saw that already' or some other weak reason when in fact, it was not seen already/properly. I even had a guy come on that thread and start talking about something else entirely that I was not reporting, then he realized his mistake. There are many similar issues, even some possibly with the same exact skill, but a very TINY difference/error can have huge results as far as the program is concerned and one problem with the same skill may be entirely separate from another (SoS has problems with Max Resist, but not the avoidance part).

Maybe I need to go look into the character /stats report... but those tools/information are being taken away from the players bit by bit. I suppose it's possible that BOTH of these values are being falsely reported (highly doubt it)....

*Curiousity ensues* I can't seem to locate the log files on my laptop. I will check when I get home.

You have no idea how irritated I am at my report simply being 'written off' without proper consideration or any acknowledgement. Why the hell would I bother reporting anything else in the future to help make the game better if it is just a waste of time without even the slightest courtesty of 'thanks for the report, we have reviewed it'?

Edit: Found the logs, can't make heads or tails of Max Resist% from them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    4EverLost likes this.
  20. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.