The Darkness in Owl’s Nest

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by FireLotus, May 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

A Journal Entry by FireLotus

Sometimes, I don’t know whether I keep this journal to remind myself of my time here, or to get it straight in my head that this is really happening. It has been at least a year since I arrived here, and sometimes I still think it’s all a dream and I am going to wake up. Who knows, maybe I will. But for now, I am going to continue to learn as much as I can about where “here” is.

One of my suppliers, a resourceful fence named Laurent, had seemed a bit out of sorts lately, and it was definitely not like him to be late with a shipment. So I decided to use the tardiness of my latest import as an excuse to finally trek out to Owl’s Nest. Six months ago, I would not have even dreamed of wandering that far out of town, but my own skills have grown, and I no longer fear the dark. Especially when I have the power of fire in my grasp.

Upon arrival, I witnessed a darkness that dwarfed even the brightest spark of bravery I could muster. The Wolf, the former leader of Laurent’s merry men, had been killed. But that in and of itself wasn’t what stole my nerve. He had been reanimated into an abomination who was under the complete control of a necromancer. I knew that I was not the only person who could tap into the magical forces of this land, but I had never imagined anyone would dare dabble in such dark magic. One thing is for certain, everyone there is terrified of Nestor. I barely got a name out of Laurent before he shoved my supplies into my arms and set me on my way.

To be honest, there was a part of me screaming for me to just leave. Yet, my curiosity has always been my weakness, and I could not help but want to learn more. Is he an Outlander like me? How long has he been able to tap into the magic of this place? How long has he known he could control the dead? Is he the source of the rumors I’ve heard coming out of Braemar?

So I crept down into the caves the Red Sashes call home. I managed to get some additional information from another bandit named Kelly. Laurent mentioned that she and The Wolf had once led the Red Sashes and I quickly learned that that she hated Nestor as much as she feared him. So she told me everything she knew about the necromancer; including that he claims to be part of an ancient order of mages known as the Obsidian Cabal. I’d heard stories of their rule, but even to the life-long residents of this land, they were always just that... stories. But according to the stories, they no longer existed.

The Obsidians of legend were as dark as they come. They were responsible for the abominations that now lurked in the forests and dark places of the world. If he were in fact an Obsidian Mage, he could be responsible for the growing darkness here in the Vale. But if he ~was~ that powerful, why is he holed up with a den of common thieves?

I had learned enough and, as I was losing the light, the time had come to head back to Owl’s Head. But on the trip back, I could not help but regret not continuing down into those caves to catch a glimpse of this necromancer. Perhaps that is an adventure worth pursuing in the days to come, if I do not wake up back in my bed before then.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Very nice, Fire Lotus! It's great to get the back story regarding those characters. You really should contribute more often (as your busy schedule allows) :D

Samlee, Jambo, Time Lord and 8 others like this.
  3. FireLotus

Thanks, and your request is granted, as I'll be publishing a new journal entry each week. :)

Samlee, Time Lord, Noctiflora and 6 others like this.
  4. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

"The Obsidians!" Edward screamed. "It was the Obsidians that attacked my boyfriend Jacob, and locked him inside an everything proof super prision that was intended for the Doctor!"

Edward dashed with lighting quick speed, toward his extremely expensive wagon. He grabbed the reigns, and hollered at the horses "Getty up. To Alice's house. We must bring them the news of this travesty."

Meanwhile in Britney, a sorcerer named Aro, was scheming with his buddies, James, Caius, Victoria, Vladamir and Stefan. They knew they were on to something.

All of asudden Aro's young apprentice Bella wakled in and playfully asked, "What do you want to do today Aro?"

Aro sneared, "The same thing we do every day, Bella, try to bring order to the world?"

That's when two photon torpedoes came crashing in and devistated the entire region. Aro and his buddies all died. Edward saw the erruption of fire and smoke from afar, and stopped his very expensive wagon, and exclaimed, "NO! That's where Jacob was being held captive!"

The woes of Edward were cutshort though because he was flagged for PvP, and he got ganked by a group of thugs.

boomer and Time Lord like this.
  5. TimeLord Smith

TimeLord Smith Avatar

By the way I enjoyed your story very much @Firelotus. Forgive my little short story, I figured this thread would turn into a story thread, but my story kind of got distorted by some kind of madness I picked up from um I don't know.

Time Lord and NRaas like this.
  6. Loon2U

Loon2U Legend of the Hearth

Ooo nice. You know I spent a whole lot of time pestering and poking that crew of characters. Trying to get some type of reaction out of them that would shed light on my expectations they were put there for a reason other than testing. Thanks for giving me those expectations.

Samlee, Time Lord and Fireangel like this.
  7. silverserpent

silverserpent Avatar

Hi FireLotus:

Thanks for the short story! Looking forward to what happens next, fun stuff!

Just too be clear. Are short story contributions by us to be based on our adventures as we play the game?

SilverSerpent

Samlee, Time Lord and Fireangel like this.
  8. FireLotus

Your short stories can be based in whatever setting, time, or place you would like them to. However, for fan fiction to be considered for the game should at least be based in New Britannia (or close enough in "feel" that it could be in universe. I'll have more information on how to submit stories in the next month or so.

These shorts are actual official lore, and therefore, will feature the NPC's you meet in game and takes place in New Britannia as it IS as the player enters the story.

Of course, I do hope that my weekly series of short little stories will inspire some creativity in your own tales and encourage you to also write about your adventures as you explore the game. ;)

9. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Hmm..actual official lore? Now that sounds very interesting... I'm really looking forward to that information in the next month or so, FireLotus ;)

Samlee, Jambo, Isaiah and 3 others like this.
  10. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

Wonderful information, FireLotus! Thank you. I'm enjoying The Darkness in Owl’s Nest Journal as well! Thank you for sharing your writing.

Samlee, Time Lord, Maka and 2 others like this.
  11. Carlin the Druid Archer

Carlin the Druid Archer Avatar

I'm also really enjoying these stories and their link to the quests. Keep them coming! :)

Samlee, Jambo, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

*pulls up a rug to lay down on and listen to more*
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Eriador, Samlee, Jambo and 4 others like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This is an example of a short story that is NOT official, although I particularly like the pinky and the brain reference in there though.

However I look forward to the real/official short stories though. Sounds like fun.

Time Lord, Fireangel and Lonn Bimmer like this.
  14. Duke William of Serenite

Duke William of Serenite Avatar

*applauds and whistles*
    "Tis a great story m'lady!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.