The Departure Part II Enroute to Lordsview

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Boris Mondragon, Nov 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris and Dwalin took their time walking towards Lordsview. Boris looked at the ships docked in Brittany Harbor and especially at the one that stood out due to its sails which though not the same as in his dream did have the emblem of the fist. He looked at Dwalin and spoke in a hushed tone "Dwalin, find a tailor that specializes in sails and flags and have him prepare the sail color and design I have written here on this sketch along with the sketch of the flag. This ship will be ours tomorrow". They kept walking when a middle aged man missing a leg spoke to Boris from where he laid on the ground: "Ahh Ye are the son of the Moon Dragon for the lady out there told me". He pointed out to the sea and smiled at Boris.

Dwalin made a jesture to avoid that man and whispered to Boris that he was a lunatic not to be believed yet Boris knew exactly what the man was talking about and tried to help the man up though noticing the man could not stand. "Speak your name and how you know of this lady out there in the sea". The man got up with Boris' help and leaned on him as he spoke in a hushed tone "I am Josephus Miller sir, I was the helmsman for that ship you were looking at and worked for Lord Farzul. I disobeyed him for not running the ship over a firsherman boat in the way of the harbor entrance and he cut off my left leg and left me here to die on the streets of Brittany". Boris spoke back to him "So you know this ship and can steer it then" "Aye said Josephus, yet I cannot stand on one leg". Boris picked the man up and slung him over his shoulder heading down the street with Dwalin who was shaking his head not sure exactly what Boris had in mind.

He turned to Dwalin and spoke once more" Dwalin, add a peg-leg to the list of sails and the flag we need readied. We need someone to have it ready first thing in the morning. Don't worry about the gold, we shall have that as well to pay the craftsmen a handsome sum. Also have the tailor prepare us some attire that is suitable for elegant sea merchants and for stevedores. We also need a bath for my friend here and for myself."

They were almost out of the main Brittany harbor area when Boris bumped into this woman who seemed to be in a foul mood and who brandished two scimitars in the flash of a second pointing them to Boris. She spoke quickly "Be careful who you bump into here in Brittany or you will end up like the man you are carrying"
    Boris looked her up and down slowly and smiled back at her "My apologies milady, I was not paying attention though by the looks of you I should have". The woman placed the scimitars back in their scabbards and smiled at Boris speaking briefly before walking away with an exaggerated sway to her hips and a smile "We will meet again I am sure under different conditions". Boris nodded smiling to her and replied: "Meet me here at sundown tomorrow and I will have the crew serve us dinner on my ship". He pointed to the ship with the fist emblem at which the woman laughed walking away.

2. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

Knowing the stakes, Dwalin acknowledged his friend's request and sought out the best tailors in the Hidden Vale to prepare attire for the crew and to create the sails as designed by Boris. Lorelei Huntington, Grandmaster tailor of Owl's Head, came to Dwalin's mind immediately, and he sent pigeons to see if she would be able and willing to aid the Elegant Pirate's ragtag crew in their quest for glory. For Josephus's peg leg, Dwalin sent word to Rainbow ******** as only the finest wood craft would do for their new steersman. And fortunately for the Elegant Pirate, Dwalin's skills in the forge of sharp, stabby things was known to all of New Britannia.

During this time of preparation, Boris and Josephus travel to the Brittany shorelines to ascertain the Sea Goddess's directives and begin to map out their watery course.

3. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris helped Josephus who had a makeshift peg leg prepared while awaiting the one requested by Dwalin. He knew there was time to visit the Brittany shoreline and as soon as night set in they approached the water. Boris asked Josephus to steer clear of the event that would unfold as he was not sure how much interaction the Sea Goddess would allow with him other than the occasional clairvoyance she had bestowed upon him. *Josephus, find out where the orphanage, widow's homes and homeless live so we can donate to their cause. Half of what we "obtain" from our ventures will go to ease their burden". Boris saw Josephus leave and heard him cursing at how ackward he walked with his makeshift peg leg yet he knew that man was inspired to be at the helm of a ship soon.

As he neared the water Boris began the old ritual he had learned back on Fire Island and made some runic symbols in the sand. He then spoke in soft tones while facing the sea and feeling the breeze pick up: "Sea Goddess, I Boris Mondragon come to you for advice and wisdom, may my sword be sharp, may my aim be true and always may I keep my soul clean as when I was born. Show me the path where to sail and where to stop to help others as I have seen the evil coming to this land in my dreams" Boris dropped all his clothes on the sand and entered the warm waters until he was waist deep, there he raised his arms to the sky awaiting her reply.

A few moments later Boris was in for a surprise. He thought he would hear her words yet that was not to be the case, as first he heard the splash behind him and then he saw a familiar face. It was Marlena the Sirene whom he had met before a long time ago in a far distant land. She was a sight to behold in human form, Caramel skin, long black hair and emerald eyes. She swam up to Boris encircling her arms around his neck and with a playful smile spoke to him "The Sea Goddess gave me permission as she does one night a month to change to this form. I will tell you her wishes but first there is something we have to take care of". Boris smiled and picked her up taking her to the sand behind a rock formation where passers by would not see them and hours later they broke their embrace. Then Marlena spoke again to him "Boris you already know which ship to take, do this at night and head due north. That man who was with you knows the way around these waters better than any and will guide you. You must stop at every port in this continent and gain the trust of all leaders as only then can this continent survive the upcoming invasion of darkness." She led him back into the water and gave him a bead necklace to wear that comprised of alternating white and blue beads. She kissed Boris once again before she spoke again "Wear this necklace at all times as it will protect you. I will create a distraction near the shore once the moon rises tomorrow and that will be your cue to take the ship's command". The first magentan rays appeared on the horizon and Marlena dove under the water with only a large fin visible. Boris swam back to shore and dressed quickly. As he finished dressing he found Josephus who was grinning at him. "Well Boris, that was quite a commotion, I heard you and whomever you were with from half a league away. I suggest we go seek out Dwalin to see what news he has pertaining to the supplies we need".

4. Dwalin Bombardin

Dwalin Bombardin Avatar

The craftsmen did not disappoint and Dwalin returned to Boris and Josephus at Brittany Road the next morning with chests of stevedore attire, a peg leg masterfully crafted out of the finest Novian maple, sails of fustian cloth as per Boris's specifications, and weaponry created from his own forge at Owl's Head.

For Boris, Dwalin crafted a pair of longswords, the first named Dash, enchanted with tempestry yielding a lighter than expected blade for enhanced parries. The second longsword was named Onsen, for its ice-like projections of piercing cold. For the crippled helmsman Josephus, Dwalin crafted a shortsword named Gimmerblade, refined by earth magic, allowing for better balance and bestowing strength to account for his disability. And for himself, Dwalin brought with him his family heirloom passed on for generations beyond count: a two-handed greatsword named Lightbringer, imbued with fire magic that always seemed hot to the touch.

"Boris, my friend, I have returned with the materials as instructed. Praytell the plan."

The ragtag crew led by the Elegant Pirate begin finalizing their designs on the ship at Brittany Wharf.

"Josephus," Boris begins, "please wait here under cover with the attire and sails. Dwalin and I shall go to the ship under cover of night and slip these sleeping herbs in their rum stores. Thereafter, when the coast is clear, we shall commandeer the glorious vessel and take her as our own."

Dwalin squeezes the hilt of his Lightbringer, knowing his friend--soon captain--has changed from his time with the Sea Goddess. Boris seemed more determined, more confident, and certainly more elegant.

5. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris was impressed by the quality of the swords, sails, attire and other materials he asked Dwalin to obtain. He took both longswords in his hands and tested them finding them an exquisite work of art. He turned over to Dwalin and spoke: "Lets try these out my friend". He took two apples and handed them to Dwalin who stood there perplexed at what Boris meant by trying them out. "Dwalin, relax all I want you to do is upon my signal fling the two apples in the air and holds your hands open in front of you. Dwalin was sweating as he flung the apples high over his head and closed his eyes while opening his hands palms up. In a split second both swords sliced the apples in half on their downward descent with one half of each apple landing in Dwalin's opened palms. Dwalin looked first at his hands then at Boris who had the other half of the two apples on the tip of the swords. Boris winked at Dwalin and Josephus who stood by with a look of amazement in his eyes. A quick peek from the corner of his eyes revealed that same mysterious woman Boris had seen before in Brittany looking through the partially opened window and grinning at him. He went to the door quickly yet when he opened it found the street deserted. He told Dwalin: "My friend we need to find that woman, I believe she can help us with our mission tomorrow".

Josephus had clear instructions to have help bringing the sails and other supplies to the harbor in the following evening yet Boris wanted to get on the ship under the cover of night as Dwalin suggested and they both waited until two hours before dawn when they snuck in behind a group of Stevedores who were dressed just like them. The entire group was given instructions on the deck to go below and pick up the empty barrels that had to be filled on shore. This was ideal as both Boris and Dwalin took one barrel each and headed back to the wharf where under the cover of darkness placed the soporific herbs in the barrels. They caught up with the rest of the Stevedores as they made their way to the tavern where all the barrels were filled with Ale, Wine and Rum. Boris carved two marks on their barrels in order to make them easy to identify the next day. The first rays of the sun shone through as the entire Stevedore crew stored the barrels in the first lower deck. Boris took cover and saw what was in the next lower deck with a look of amazement. He muttered under his breath "Slaves". He would set them all free the next day. Both Boris and Dwalin worked all day under the brutal leadership of the Ship's Quartermaster and saw the ship captain who was referred to as Captain Bloodblade slay two stevedores who were wrongfully accused of stealing. Boris saw Dwalin clench his fists yet whispered to him to be calm. Tonight would hold Vengeance. As they left the ship at the end of their shift Boris saw Captain Bloodblade stand by the gangplank and visually pat down all the frightened Stevedores. When it was Boris' turn to be inspected both he and Captain Bloodblade locked eyes as the mysterious woman stood on the pier down below starting a distraction which allowed bothe Boris and Dwalin to get off the ship.

6. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Looking up at the ship with curiosity, she was happy to have something interesting finally happening. She remembered well that she had been in a mood when she’d met him. Nothing annoyed Audacity more than being bored. Usually she could find enough mischief to keep herself entertained, but she'd promised to at least make an attempt to behave while her traveling companion finished up some business in town. She had been trying to boost her spirits by thinking of all mayhem she would stir up later when she'd first bumped into him. Literally. There was a look of steel in his eyes that sparked her interest. "There's the kind of trouble I've been looking for," she had thought. "Finally, some fun."

And so, she'd kept an eye out for him since then. That's what had brought her to the docks. Now there he was, standing in a line sizing up an unpleasant looking brute. Yep, definitely trouble. She’d seen that the mystery man could handle his weapons expertly. A smirk crossed her face as she remembered the apples. However, her instinct for mischief told Audacity that he was trying to be subtle and might prefer a less bloody way out of the situation. With an impish laugh, she made up her mind and put her talent for causing a scene to good use. Closing her eyes, Audacity focused her thoughts on her traveling companion.

"Jar, I need you," she sent across that magical connection.

"Four words that always make me suspicious," the amused response whispered in her mind.

"No way! If you were here I'd totally show my innocent eyes," she sent back to her closest friend.

This time she physically heard his voice as he walked up behind her and spoke quietly in her ear. "Well, give those innocent eyes back to the nice lady you must have stolen them from."

"Duel me," she demanded, her not-so-innocent eyes twinkling.

Used to this type of randomness from her, Jarikith just gave an indulgent smile and said, "I see the strain of being good has been too much for you, Aud. You want to battle the Legendary Bowlord... in the middle of a crowded dock... wearing that?"

Audacity looked down at her dress and shrugged. "Well I have been known to cause a spectacle now and then." She inclined her head toward the drama unfolding on the ship as she spoke.

"Ah," a look of understanding flashed across her friend’s face as he tracked her gaze. "I should have known."

Grinning, Audacity slid her dagger blade along the side of her skirt to give herself more freedom of movement. The sound of ripping material along with the flash of her pale thigh captured the attention of those nearby. Not to be outdone, Jarikith made a show of removing his heavy leather chestpiece and set it aside saying "There. A bit more fair for you"

Audacity performed a quick curtsy and then began to quiet her mind to draw on the magical essence around her. Jarikith gave a formal bow and pulled a training arrow from his quiver. The crowd took a step back giving the two combatants room, elbowing each other and pointing at the commotion.

With a smug look, Aud reached towards the ground with her mind and called forth an earthquake beneath Jar’s feet. Hopping back, he landed nimbly on a crate behind him and let loose a volley of the blunted arrows in her direction. Sending a laugh back in response, in a blink she was no longer standing there but instead appeared on the crates behind him. She pulled ice from out of thin air and hurled it towards her friend before turning to put some distance between them.

"Ow!" he yelped. Then fast as lighting, he turned and used the side of his bow to playfully smack her backside.

"Hey!" she said rubbing the injury while the crowd tossed out catcalls.

Peeking up, she noticed the crew of the ship, including the big disagreeable-looking fellow leaning along the railing looking down at their antics. As she turned back towards Jar, she saw the mystery man and his companion slipping silently past the crowd. Mission accomplished, she turned and sent a powerful gust of wind towards Jar, knocking him off the crate and onto his back. With his usual perfect timing, Jar threw up his arms in mock surrender. Aud leaned forward and extended a hand to help her friend to his feet as the crowd erupted in laughter.

“You are really getting bad at keeping me healthy,” he teased as he tentatively flexed his wrist. “You are still my best healer, right?” A flash of white light engulfed him and he smiled. “Much better. If you’ve had enough entertainment for the moment, I’ll just go finish up my errands before those guards politely ask us to leave. Do try to stay out of trouble.”

“Thanks,” she silently sent her thoughts to Jar as he slung his leather armor over his shoulder and walked away whistling. Then she jumped up onto the crate herself and started blowing kisses to the crowd. Over the heads of those who were still cheering, she caught the eye of the mysterious gentleman. She sent a wink in his direction as he disappeared around a corner.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  7. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris saw the wink from the mysterious woman who actually had saved their plan. He felt Dwalin poke him to bring him back to reality. There was something captivating in that woman and it unnerved his very essence. Both him and Dwalin caught up with the Stevedores and overheard they talk: "Tonight the crew drinks, they spoke of the rum and of their departure tomorrow back out to sea. Seems our work is done here until they return again". His words to Dwalin were quick: "Two hours before dawn we must be back on the ship. I will bring the swords and a lockpick for the slaves and await you and Josephus with the rest of the gear and supplies. The crew should be drunk and unconscious and we should be able to take it over easily".

They made it back to Lordsview and made the preparations early that night. Every preparation had been made meticulously and Boris, Dwalin and Josephus rested for a few hours before Boris could sense it was time hours later as he awoke. "Dwalin, Josephus, I will head out first. In one hour meet me on the ship and soon as the storm begins we spring into action. Let the Great Creator and Sea Goddess be with us". Boris wore a black cloak and passed through the quiet streets from Lordsview all the way to the Brittany dock. He could sense the stillness in the air as only one guard was patrolling the deck of the ship which he was able to avoid, he was on deck and snuck up behind the guard. He saw the guard pass him by in the shadows and in one quick movement he hit the guard on the back of the head with the hilt of his sword. He then tied him and gagged him placing him out of view. Boris left his gear in the shadows next to the unconscious guard. The first deck showed only a few drunken guard who were snoring loudly, the spiked rum had done its deed. The next deck revealed many men who seemed asleep except for one tall dark man who looked at him and spoke: "Are you here to beat us again?" Boris motioned for the man to be quiet and walked up to him speaking to him in hushed tones: "I am Boris Mondragon and tonight you will be freed. Use this lockpick to free yourself and the others and follow me quickly to the top deck. This ship is ours and you and your men will be free to leave or be part of our crew". Boris saw the man move quickly and noticed he was the leader of the slaves by the way he spoke to them. The man turned back and extended his hand for Boris to shake.

Boris noticed the marks on the man's hand and recognized he was looking at a Mayombe priest. He had heard of this magic cult and had seen brief glimpses of the art back in the Isle of Fire form that lady priestess Laura who had told him his future. He also remembered the Mayombe Greeting so he spoke it as he took the man's hand in a strong handshake: "Nsala Malekun" he whispered to which the man smiled and whispered back: Malekun Nsala, peace be with you as well brother, I am Razalah and me and my men will fight at your side"

The men followed Boris to the top deck and received their weapons, water and food. Boris told them to wait for his signal then secure the top and bottom deck. They stayed in the shadows as Boris noticed Dwalin and Josephus reach the ship and helped them bring the rest of the gear aboard. All waited quietly then the Storm began.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.