The dev quotes I hope I never hear again.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curt

Curt Avatar

Instead of a potion giving + 50 resistance to ....
    Make some elixirs that absorbs up to N damage of a specific type and make so only can use one elixir at the same time.

so if a elixir gave +100 fire absorb the first 100 fire damage would be negated and then the elixir would end.

I also wish that beside the current action bars could be some skills assigned to specific keys.
    Example the skill acrobatics
    if you has 2 glyphs
    could assign the skill to double tap w and double tap e
    making you do a bit different move when doing that.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sieges should be PvP also, depending on the celestial cycles.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The ammount of damage you recieve in pvp is insanely huge (seen over 300 dmg done to people this release with magic attacks).

The way melee damage is mitigated is kinda like a lottery, with people stacking high damage avoidance (think you can get between 40-50% in cloth?) to have that big chance of mitigating a massive chunk of the damage from that hit. You also have block parry and dodge negating your damage, and thier chances stack with each other.

Magic damage has damage resistance to mitigate it but ignores parry and avoidance if im not mistaken. (except the fist spells i think) higher tier spells cannot be blocked, and i dont think they can be dodged(?). But all bolt type spells can be dodged, and can be blocked by shield, and those defenses stack with each other.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Please correct me if I'm wrong here but :oops:...

Early Info History in "Lord British's Wish Lists" :oops:...

Aren't we suppose to be getting some (random or by celestial events) "Meteor Strikes" which are suppose to "create PvP zones that were mineral rich" o_O?'
    :rolleyes: I know that some of the sunshine crew around here some time later were suggesting that the shard falls were these places, yet I have never believed that at all because they are not "events" o_O...

o_O What is quite apparent though is that our Portalarium is working on replacing our cloned hunting areas, which means to me "that they aren't there yet", but are still planning to get there sometime within our future. We've also heard of "places of PvP siege, where we could see some further PvP action on a much larger scale, yet there's not yet a much larger scale PvP community which could fill such a place, our siege engines are not yet repairable within the cabalist sieges we have and our game is having issues with large crowds of players all being within the same instance, which has become apparent and is sort of being tested by our current PvP Arena styled player events.

Our wish lists throughout our development history are now similar to the sediment which created our mountains around here, where we much look back at with a geological eye to see them all, "but I do believe they are all still there within our Developers plans for our future".

I, myself am still a part of the sunshine crew, but I've been leery of jumping to conclusions whenever I hear the masses speaking of accomplished or abandon goals, because things take one hell of allot of time around here, but that's just the ways of our development threw it's crowd funding.

:oops: Anyway... "That's all my opinion on that PvP subject" :p
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

As one of the players who hates most PvP, I think you are being a little overdramatic here.

As long as PvPers can never control *all* of the passages between two points, I don't see any problem with them taking over control points. Its no worse than Shardfalls and Ruins; just more scenes that those who don't want to engage in PvP need to avoid. Basically, divide the control points into two groups, those that produce waves of enemies, and those that can be taken by players and controlled. The ones with waves of mobs can be "safely" travelled by those not interested in PvP, and the other will be a great stepping stone toward castle siege scenes.

Also interesting, however this would really only work for PvP towns. Not really fair to block off access to a town unless they've already agreed to be PvP.

6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I would classify meteor strike content as dynamic content. Which is what I asked about on the reddit AMA. "Not planned for Ep1"

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not blocking, that should never happen, an alternate path would be needed. Sewer/crypt entrance etc...

Miracle Dragon, Numa and Time Lord like this.
  8. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thanks for following up on that @Ristra :) :eek:"Dynamic Content":confused:o_O I truly sometimes have trouble keeping up on all the jargon usage around here :po_O get's me a bit lost sometimes :( I think our Ep#1 is shaping up to be just the core of the game, which is nice, but from that comment they made on your question, it is nice to know that it's still in the plans :D~Time Lord~

Miracle Dragon and zyxe like this.
  9. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Not sure I'm understanding what you're suggesting here, @Browncoat Jayson
    Are you suggesting dividing a single control point into 2 separate zones ?

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Browncoat Jayson

@FrostII No, I'd rather not waste Dev time on making yet more scenes. Since there are at least two CPs in each area, just change the control area in one of each "pair" so that once players take it over the scene becomes PvP. I'm thinking something like a scene-wide version of capture-the-flag.

11. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

@Browncoat Jayson Where is the 2nd CP for people wishing to travel to Drachvald ?
    Vauban Pass is the only one that I know of for that region.
    The only other entry into Drachvald is thru Blood Bay which is already PvP.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Browncoat Jayson

Ok, so only well designed regions. (Honestly, I never go to Drachvald, so it slipped my mind.) Maybe it should have a pirate-themed CP from the unused lighthouse docks in the Vale.

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Basically we have this now, with lunar rifts, though.

There isn't really technically a reason to divide types of control points --- though I think that was initially discussed by the devs as something they wanted to do --- because the idea that this would mean forced PvP is a bit overdramatic.

Plus, plus --- even if every single control point could be taken over by a guild making it a PvP-enabled zone, Chris already confirmed that they could choose to only make parts of zones PvP, like they do in arena basements, where observers could stay outside and watch the fight without fear of being hurt. The way this would apply to control points is that we currently have two paths in a control point: through the gate, and a second path around the gate.

So they could make it so that if a guild could take over the gated area and charge a toll for someone to pass through the gates, the player could choose the non-gated path and not be flagged for PvP, because people would only be flagged for PvP within the gates.

Or possibly not, if they paid a toll to whiteflag them through the gated area, which is a mechanic I would find interesting. But then they could always go through the non-gated path.

The point being is that people should tone down the drama and stop equivocating "more convenient to go through a PvP path" with "being forced to PvP."

14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well I wasn't thinking the scene would change to pvp but the cp would be owned by the pvp players who had taken it. I am not sure I want it to turn pvp but give other perks to the controllers ;) For example in BDO it does not do that, but that game is pvp after level 50 for everyone anyway.

edited oops I edited to say BDO is forced PvP after level 50 to everyone. You don't get the choice. and I don't think we need to make more PvP areas turn PvP but the rewards for taking a control point could really be fun. For example the controlling guild or player gets the perks of ownership, titles, and tokens of some sort, but other players still remain able to pass through as now not affecting them if they are pve except as now if there are creatures around to get them. ;)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Numa and Time Lord like this.
  15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Why not just have a PvP guild claim "ownership" of one of the Shardfalls ?
    How bout that ?

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  16. Numa

Numa Avatar

It just struck me after reading your post that there is nothing to prevent a PvE guild from taking a control point and taking ownership. It wouldn't be fair after all if the CP takeover/ownership mechanics we've been discussing for PvP guilds didn't extend some way to PvE guilds.

The way I see it working (given the right celestial cycle as discussed with @Ristra ) is that this would be a contest between guilds (PvE or PvP) using purely PvE mechanics to determine who has control. The nature of the pass then would be PvE or PvP depending on the nature of the winning guild.

Ownership would end at the end of the celestial cycle and the CP would revert to to it's regular state - until the next special time comes up again. It's one way of having friendly competition between guilds (regardless of the guild's nature) and may be helpful in building bridges where we need it most.

17. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I have said for quite awhile now that control points should be pvp scenes and when the control point would be ran and taken it would switch to non pvp for a week or so irl.

this would create conflict as some would want the cp to be non pvp and other would want pvp.

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Yet also, within PvP areas, any PvP control point still needs to provide it's holder/s with an added power of some kind for player motive to want to control it.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Miracle Dragon and Numa like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Because we have to balance out the needs of the non-pvp folks too. If this were a more pvp focused game, that would be a very logical solution.

The fact that control points don't have a lot of flexibility and if you give players a way to avoid pvp they generally will, it makes creating pvp areas that also have an impact on pve players a very tricky situation. I love the idea of a group of players (or a guild) claiming the Shardfall as their own, setting up merchants and player housing, while getting use of the area for weeks or months.

There's a lot of that going on in Albion Online (although not with control points but with towns)

This video gives a GREAT overview of how guild vs. guild pvp might work.

I love that Albion Online is using 5v5 and 20v20 areas to decide who wins and loses. This prevents a lot of the zerging tactics that make guild warfare stupid in other games. It's not a perfect system, and there's still some things I would change. But there's a lot of good stuff we could leverage from that video.

The real sticky part about whatever we do here though, is that we have essentially non-combatants that want/expect the ability to ignore PVP and any PVP outcomes, and that's a problem that the devs will need to figure out a solution for. Because the moment you have PVP that doesn't impact everyone in the game in a meaningful way, that's the moment you have to ask yourself why it matters to PVP in the first place.

Miracle Dragon and Numa like this.
  20. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its fine if a guild claims ownership of a Shardfall, but there's no reason to go to one, so its pointless to do so.

The goal should be to make PvP interesting from a role-playing standpoint, rather than something you just do for sport. Sport, whether that means PvP "hunting" activities or staged duels or contests. @Baron Drocis Fondorlatos is right that this has to mean that it impacts PvE in some way. It doesn't mean forced PvP, just that there will be a noticeable influence on the world from PvP contests... because, as in real life, wars would not occur unless there is something real at stake.

In the end, its not even about serving PvPers (over PvEers), but serving SotA as a RP game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.