The dev quotes I hope I never hear again.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Poor game design, Jul 10, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'm thinking of a siege type event on the over world map that is a PvP objective.

The person/guild/faction that controls the objective can move the location on the over world.

Move it to a zone, control the scene until someone else takes the objective. If the scene is on a mine then the scene with the objective has more abundant spawns of that type of ore.

The mine is unchanged. Only the siege type overworld scene has the abundance.

-- Random thought of the day.

2. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

More Lunar Rifts!! Change Control Points to PVP Zones!! This would be a dream come true for me!! :D

Numa likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Numa likes this.
  4. Numa

Numa Avatar

It's just like the sieges which doesn't force a player to fight his/her way through a siege (there are alternatives) but does impact the game environment and one's gameplay decisions.

Miracle Dragon and Time Lord like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I keep wondering if they will intensify when the siege engines in them become repairable o_O all the needed equipment is there. Why would they have an actual crafting table there if it wasn't going to become useful... and if it becomes useful, then surely those battles must intensify aye? they may be another place holder as most things are when they are first placed into the game? o_O~Time Lord~

Numa likes this.
  6. Numa

Numa Avatar

Mob POT invasions - just like UO :)

Boris Mondragon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:D~Time Lord~:confused:

Solazur and Numa like this.
  8. Daemonium Malum

Daemonium Malum Avatar

I just hope a dev somewhere has up 2 windows right now copy pasting these concerns directly into Jira. An issues list doesn't get much more cut and dry than this.

Greatness is a lot of small things done well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  9. Azlorn

Azlorn Avatar

I'm so sick of the anti pvp sentiment here. No one is crying to remove pve or saying they want to be able to avoid pve all the time. If all you want to do in a game like this is hold hands and play make believe then maybe I should start playing something else. I'm sick to death of all the pvp hate from people who don't have a competitive bone in their body.

I'm sick to death of being one of only 5 people in the entire game that regularly pvps. (least it seems that way)
    The reason why there aren't more pvp'rs in this game is because the pvp is meaningless and not fun. I could literally bring hundreds of people to this game just by myself that are ready to jump on a new game that has serious pvp in it if there actualy was....serious pvp, that meant....anything at all.

We're all playing lame survival games just to get the rush right now. If I wanted to play a pve game I'd play final fantasy or play pattie cakes with a group of 6th grade girls because that's the vibe I get from pvp haters anymore. Have fun holding hands and singing songs that aren't too offensive.

For me it's punk rock, ganking, and tears all the way or I play something else.

I don't have the time or patience for hand holding or catering to sissy lalas.

10. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I do hope there will eventually be some cohesive, consentual PvP action, like Guild-v-Guild or castle siege. Thats obviously never going to appease you, and that was never the intention of PvP in this game, so... bye, I guess.

11. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

No it hasn't.
    Same with the XP boost thingie if you are PVP flagged... :D

When that stuff was introduced i and many others have proposed that this won't help PVP at all!!!

Housing in Blood Bay won't do anything either.

PVP in SotA is kinda dead.

We have way too many PVP only zones nobody cares about!
    And this won't change either, even after release...
    There is no point in doing PVP in this game other than for the fun/risk factor.

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  12. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

well in UO people used to do champ spawns all the time and the great ones were PvP Risk. So IMO it boils down to reward.... however sota doesnt even reward you for normal kills...

Disgruntled and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I see a lot of this kind of play in Albion Online too. They have 5v5 "hell gates" right? Where you can go in and either kill some giant boss, or have a chance to be in a 5v5 pvp battle. I watched a number of teams go into these areas looking for a fight with other players, but not actually seeing the other players until they began fighting the boss. :)

So my question would be, why would that be fun for the people getting ganked? It really wouldn't. It just teaches players that if they go to an area where there's a big boss, the smart players are going to be the ones that wait for the 2nd group to show up so they can gank them. This results in at least one group of 5 players being pissed off and asking themselves "why are we doing this?"

I think champ swans and hell gates are fine ideas, but the implementation of these things into the world are very important. If the end result is that you get one side saying "this is stupid" then it's not a good design. The ideal design is going to be one where everyone had fun, not just the guys exploiting the PVE mobs.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  14. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

well, yeah usually would not engage the boss until knew it was safe and even then would try to do as fast as possible. If i recall correctly with UO atleast they had champ spawns that were no in PvP enabled areas too but the drop % was much lower on high end skills/items etc then if you were to go into the PvP enabled "Fel" spawn champs.

Did you have to do it? No you didnt, but if you wanted to get better loot/hard to get items you took that risk. If you thought it was stupid, well you could stay in non pvp and spend few weeks or even months trying to get what you could prob get in a handful of kills in the PvP enabled area.

Personally i love the idea of entering a Hell Gate and running into another crowd you could PvP. KIll them and the boss, more loot for everyone... if i lose, guess what.... i remember their names and attempt to kill/gank them at a later date..... nothing feels better than a gank in most unexpected place when repaying the fact they ganked you. Its part of the game

i say all the above with extreme disdain for tram. I honestly think tram was a sham, but i still played anyway for many years.

Disgruntled and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos I am one of those non-existing persons who loved to be killed and looted clean, I would start again and go vendor shopping for new things, replay value ! :)

Everytime I would buy the best quality items and wouldn't mind of bit if I spent the whole night losing my best stuff, I had too much anyways from having a very prolific crafter.

The PvP was so exiting, so fun, that all that mattered was the path :)

Did you ever hear this saying ? What matters is the path and not the end goal...

I would have actually paid extra real life money for this environement again, like I did all my youth at arcades... real money goes in, fun goes out :)

Anyways, when tram hit I left and headed for Siege Perilous, which was even harder... but it was harder for everyone so there was way more variety and more fun.

This makes me very nostalgic... now I don't even feel like crafting, or pvp...

I basically walk around and play music, chat a little when people want to roleplay but everything feels meaningless compared to siege IMO.

It sure is much nicer than UO... if only it would have a little more game, it would be PERFECT.

Disgruntled and Time Lord like this.
  16. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Without getting too much into it..

The original 5 players went there knowing full well and expecting others to be there.
    Its not like 5 random people are upset in this exchange because they got killed when a mob was pulled.. That is essentially a lot of fun in the risk/reward aspect.

A huge part of a lot of competitive games is having an objective, knowing others have it as well.
    Personally i love being on both ends of that. Even killing a boss or PVE with just that constant FEAR of another group showing up is sometimes as much fun as doing the jumping in its own. As it adds new challenges and strat.

Its not a cut and dry issue of * This group isnt having fun because they are in the riskier situation. *
    ------
    For most part i agree with you on the other points, i just didn't like that part as i find it inaccurate.

Side example - Risk Vs Reward - PlayerUnknown, now the one of the hottest games out there. You very much go after key spots knowing at any time another group can get you from behind. Because if you pull it off the reward is worth it. Some groups wait for others, some go for it. Its a ton of fun on both sides of the spectrum and players stratagize accordingly.

Miracle Dragon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

I feel the devs are currently trying to manage the game too much with the idea that carrot incentives will push people to do things ! Generally, they won't. There will be some people doing it, but most players don't min/max, and especially don't for risky things, but this is what you need for carrots to work.

There needs to be more meaningful consequences to things... in this case, meaningful consequences to the world for winning or losing a PvP fight.

Though to be honest, I only think this approach attracts people already interested in this kind of gank-or-be-ganked gameplay, and turns away other players from participating in PvP. I think most players want some reason for participating in a fight other than the thrill of danger.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and MrBlight like this.
  18. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Oh i agree. I prefer objective based PVP. Capture the Keep, Kill the opponents lord. Etc etc..
    I just wanted to point out that a lot of games do that style of PVP very successfully, and i just disagreed with his wording on it more then anything *implying that half the people involved in that example are not having fun* , as even that style pvp is more appealing to me right now then the current.

Miracle Dragon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  19. Violet Ronso

Violet Ronso Avatar

Sorry to pull out this older thread but its still on page 1 of PVP section, but, I have played ESO alot, and I loved the way their PVP worked (For most parts). So basically you were doing faction wars for control points, there was an added benefit of capture the flag, but there was also PVE, LOTS OF IT. during my ESO days, there was 2 PVP zones, Cyrodil, the huge siege/control point/capture the flag section, where alot of caves and towns with daily quests were given out, these were great for EXP and for loot! you were always on your toes though cause you could get ganked at any moment, so you had to be aware of your suroundings all the time. The 2nd portion was the Imperial City, with 6 small districs and the sewers. you could run around, killing mobs, doing some more quests, and gathering these special PVP zone items, which could be exchanged for a chance at a chest which usually contained good recipees, gear and consumables. Also, the top tier ressources were in this zone (until some point). so basically, there was tons of incentives to go PVE in those zones, while knowing that it was a PVP zone so you had to be prepared for it.

The reason why I am mentionning that, is that you keep on talking about finding the mobs in PVP zones pointless and annoying, but what I feel is that they might not be rewarding enough, they might need a buff to their drop tables, and a buff to the ressources surrounding them. By doing that, you give an incentive to going in those PVP zones, and people who don't want to PVP can steer clear of it, but if you want those extra goodies, you need to be prepared to not only fight mobs but players. Now people will say "But now that content is locked behind PVP!" uhhh, yeah! Why make a game where everything is accessible to everyone everywhere? already that every single skill is accessible, there needs to be things locked behind other things, Enchantments are locked behind the fail chance, meaning unless you dump alot of exp and time into it, you will fail more than enough to annoy you, which makes crafters usefull. Why not have the same thing for PVPers? People who want to PVP go into a PVP zone, kill mobs for nice loot and ressources while they wait to find someone, and then get their fight, if no one is there to fight, well they might have gotten that special ressource everyone tries to buy, so his time wasnt wasted.

You are also asking why would being ganked be fun for a group of 5 players adventuring to a PVP zone to kill a boss? the answer is simple, BECAUSE THEY WENT THERE KNOWING IT WAS A PVP ZONE. if you dont want to pvp, go in other zones, don't go in a PVP zone whinning that you got killed by another player, that other player is just doing what you allowed him to.

If you want a more 1v1 PVP or group vs Group, organise events, maybe the devs could add an arena where you sign up and fight against another person, but dont go asking to remove mobs and ressources from PVP zones, those are IMO a very good thing.

once again sorry for answering to an old reply, but like I said I think the complete opposite of you and feel like the devs need to push even further in this direction.

*Sorry for the mistakes or anything, I am french making my best out of it.*

20. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Sure. But then no one goes to PVP zones. That's what has happened for years in MMO's. They're underpopulated, they create player retention problems, and generally speaking most PK's only stay until they themselves are forced out by someone else.

That's not a good way to design anything. What I'm suggesting is that we look at PVP as something more meaningful and far more sustainable. I love pvp. But if my choice is to get repeatedly ganked in every PVP zone, I just won't go there. So how does that help the cause of pvp when people that love it don't go?

Miracle Dragon and Stundorn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.