1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The discovery of new Lunar Rifts!?

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Lord British, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You were the one going on about going anywhere you want when you want and why can't rifts function like UO. It was recall and gate spells that let you go anywhere whenever. Not static gates. Static gates were limited to a grand total of 8 locations and you still had to wait for them to cycle.. so they were neither go anywhere or at any time. In fact, with the exception of a faster cycle.. they functioned the same way rifts do in SotA. The only other difference is that in SotA the remaining 5 were to be added later.

Saosis likes this.
  2. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Mmm that's my mistake, I can see how it would be received that way.

It should read anywhere the static portal can take me and continued from there. Maybe they functioned like you're saying at the start of UO? When I started in Third Dawn, those static gates took me wherever I wanted in the menu, whenever I wanted.

Purely in response to and equating these Lunar Portals to Static Portals in UO because they ultimately are trying to serve the same purpose, except one requires me to sit and twiddle my thumbs for no apparent/meaningful reason.

3. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Explain this to me: What value do you see in a gate, that's entire purpose/existence is to streamline travel, that you need to wait quite a while, some people's entire play session to be exact, for it to go to the place you actually want it to? What detriment is there to being able to hit this Lunar Rift, tell it which other Lunar Rift you want to go to, and go? Does that ruin some RP thing? Let me assure you it ruins the entire function by maintaining that RP aspect.

4. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

It is rare we agree but this is a great idea. It could easily open up other parts of the world.

5. Almar

Almar Avatar

Speaking as a Moongate Traveller, I for one am glad to have more moongates to traverse!

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah there you go. I never really used them all and didn't hear they added a menu by then. I guess that falls a little in-line with what I was saying about controlling the destination. I'd just rather have it done by spell or scroll than simply with UI.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

But yea that's right too... players who find the current travel options tedious will also find lunar rifts tedious because they'll involve loading screens.

Lord Andernut likes this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

The impact will be reduced as soon as chris is done with his optimizations.

9. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

This is what I thought was going to happen as well, I wonder if it will come before release, or if we'll only see these types of resources introduced after episode 1 completion. Who knows! (certainly not I)

10. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

This will make them useful. I was resigned to them being completely useless until new episodes. Now I can look forward to each expansion continent having its own set of rifts.

MAKE RIFTS GREAT AGAIN

The tradeoff is that you might have to wait a full hour before the lunar phase rotates to the destination you want. It's like waiting for a bus or a train. But if you have a schedule and a watch...

Then again, for a place like Drachvald, you might not care. "Get me the hell outta here! Anywhere!" can be preferable to slogging through Vauban Pass. It's a hateful little place, and even the "bypass" requires jumping around rocks on a mountaintop.

As someone with a house in Kingsport who enjoys a quick shopping trip to Central Brittany, I'm sure that eventually a proper ferry system will get implemented which will prevent that form of travel from being instantaneous. It will be a sad day, but I plan to enjoy the fast ferry travel until then.

Alley Oop and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
  11. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ugh, no.

Apparently tho, any discussion we have is moot. The new rifts are already coming for R43.

12. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

:D If there *WAS* I would not be allowed to say so... ;) However, I can say that I took the time to study the new Rifts, and the Lunar Rift Chronometer has already been updated (behind the scenes) and will be available for *Those Who Wish To Use It* as soon as R43 goes live!

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Well, in the reddit AMA, Richard answered this question with:
    So... yes. Also, seems like at least some will be in towns, which sucks for anyone who didn't pick one of those towns to settle in. They should really have all been in adventure areas.

14. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Brookside HAD about 5 lots taken... Now its going to be completely full. :) The Fog in Brookside does NOT make finding things easy there...

Numa likes this.
  15. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Um, yeah, so there was this siege, and I ended up having to go in the front way (because bug), and I didn't know where I was going, and I wanted OUT!

if it isn't bad enough that Brookside is in Drachvald (Vauban Pass is not somewhere I want to go regularly), and it's also bad that all that fog makes Brookside look so creepy, but with only about ten of over 130 lots having been claimed, the creep factor goes way up from it being so big and empty and foggy and run down and stuff. All the while I'm searching for it in the fog. It's just not a place I want to be. Feel free to place lots in Brookside, but I'm staying back where it isn't creepy. (It was a little easier when I finally recognized the template, oh and SotaMap has the map turned the wrong way, but still nope.)

Numa, Time Lord and Aartemis like this.
  16. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Same thing happened to me. Siege. Front entrance fog.... I searched for 2 hours swearing. Also there was the encombrance bug so I could not recall... Lol. Funny now looking back but not at the time.

Time Lord and Elwyn like this.
  17. Jens_T

Jens_T Avatar

So where is it, stopped searching after 20 minutes

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Pardon me while I recover from literal LOL of not being the only one... okay, that's better.

It's on the far south side near the south exit. Sotamap has the map turned wrong, so it's on the "east" side. It's next to that little guard house over the road, near the cemetery.

Seriously, though, I'm sure there's a type of person for whom Brookside is the perfect place to put their lot deed. Maybe even as many as 100 of them! They should probably put a spooky stuff crown vendor in there. I may not like the place, but I have great respect for whichever dev deco-ed it out.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. James T. Cook

James T. Cook Avatar

Maybe in episode 2 they could have blimps drop people off in baskets with parashutes, and also pick them up later by catching a hook so the blimp doesn't have to even land (so the blimps don't have to waste the energy for another take off), just a fly by and grab.

If not it might be good for astral missions to Datalus in eppisode 4 or 5.

Numa and Time Lord like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG] :D~TL~
    :oops:

James T. Cook likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.