1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The discovery of new Lunar Rifts!?

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Lord British, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

True, but that defeats the point of them being rifts/gates :) But yeah, even if they were old remnants from the time *before*, they are still nice to see. However, I do not believe that was their intention with their current placement in game. Would still like them to be a bit more user friendly for travel purposes.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Whenever I see something as obvious as the need for speedy travel or a more user friendly mode of fast travel, I can't help but to think that someday there will be one as fast as UO's rune books were. It's our modern fast real lives that demand such things because most of us truly don't have allot of time... But with that being said, "there's not allot of our world right now to demand more from our travel times. 5 minutes and I can run anywhere in the world and now with Lunar Rifts, if I want to cut that time then all I have to do is know the local Lunar Rift schedule and wait for it much like waiting at a bus stop. But if I really want fast travel in our MMO, all I have to do is have a large friends list (which I do) and teleport wherever any of them are... and if I'm not going to where they are, then it's likely that I can still teleport to them and be much closer to reaching my true destination in a couple of loading screens time.

It's still a small, small world :p yet it is convenience and a wish for an all in one instant, which drives this issue's momentum :)~TL~

Rennik and Brugas like this.
  3. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah, its nice being able to do that with a friend's list but don't think that should be the main option for travel other than footing it. You still cannot really use the Lunar Rifts like you say. You can look at the chart and maybe get lucky that the time you want to go somewhere will be up soon but most likely it'll be a long time away. Waiting is not speedy :p It takes a bit to run to some areas like say Resolute going through passes and other zones, so it's a lot more than 5 minutes for sure. More so for plate users. Still some people do not have very large friends lists and even when they do, sometimes people are still not in that particular part of the world. I think we're moving in the right direction but we're still not there yet.

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I agree, yet I also think we could do better for what we need later, than we could if we filled that gap right now. I see our sota game's technology as something that's also evolving, meaning that there's something much more appealing 'that will be able to be made" in the future rather than in the now. In the now it's a bit of a "back burner issue", yet the Rifts were sort of demanded by the Ultima genre.

There's no Ruby Red Slippers yet, "but there should be" :D~TL~
    [​IMG]

majoria70 likes this.
  5. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Lunar phases change every 8.5 minutes.

Brugas likes this.
  6. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

7. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Yeah thats a good bit of wait time there. 3 phases away and your waiting about half an hour to get to your destination. Certainly by no means speedy travel unless you luck out and its already set to where you want to go when you get there.

8. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Yeah, I wasn't worried about being exact. I have a template on the wiki that calculates it down to the second, just need to figure out a bit of javascript to make it display consistently as a countdown.

Sue, but 5/8 of them are now in a town, so if its not up you have time to shop, train, or do something while you wait. I skilled up safe fall waiting on my last night.

I know its kind of tedious, but I really hate the Diablo-esque "unlock the gate and you can travel to it instantly". I really wish all of them were in adventure scenes, so you had to pick between the danger of waiting or taking the portal to a less optimal destination. As it is now, its just a time suck; no danger, no tradeoff, no point. It does what it is supposed to do, slow you down. (I don't know why everyone thinks this is designed to be a fast-travel option; its not. The only fast-travel right now is the friend list, and that needs serious work.)

Brugas likes this.
  9. DeadnGone

DeadnGone Avatar

Well that is kind of the point of gates/portals/rifts... fast travel. To connect two or more points to allow quick travel between them, else why bridge the gap at all, unless it was the *only* way to get to an area (distant worlds, planes, etc) Still I'd imagine it would be faster than normal navigation there.

I do understand what you're saying about the time and doing stuff while you wait but how many times can you skill up safefall? :) Im not sure if it'll create more impluse buying either. Those that want to shop are going to shop all night long if they have to. I was hoping for a bit faster travel for those far flung places on the map so there could be more foot traffic for them instead of everyone bunching up or only going so far as the main 4 population hubs.

Some one-way portals in danger zones, as you said, would be nice as well.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

On the unveil of the Oracle Colossus, I suggested that engravings of the magic school glyphs be placed at the base of the statues there so players wouldn't rely on tooltips. ( See here )

How about for lunar glyphs, the same type of thing, where we have an engraving on the standing stone either of the phase of the moon, or the virtue associated with it (which would then correspond to the towns)? I think the phase of the moon would be enough, as it would give players a hint about what's going on. Then, players would have to learn through lore which moon phase goes to what location instead of seeing it in the tooltips. Perhaps the final world map could have moon phase indicators over town locations, like we saw with world maps in the Ultima games.

11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

Any puzzle that is created will have people who will make a how to for others who don't want to hassle with figuring it out. If your response to that is to make the puzzle constantly changing won't work because no one would want to do it because why would i want to travel through x or do y if each time I do it I have to solve the puzzle all over again. No way around it bro. Youtubers who make how to and apps are here to stay as are those who use those resources themselves

Elwyn and Elrond like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.