The Elder Scrolls Online like quests

Discussion in 'Quests & Lore' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Feb 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

The user agreement does not allow us to disclose details.

I played Skyrim for 500+ hours (I think I managed every quest in the game & every cave, etc.).

ESO is not a Skyrim clone, but unless a person plays all 3 factions, it's hard to get an idea of how expansive the world is or isn't. After playing all 3 factions, I became convinced it was a pretty awesome game. The added dynamic of actual social interaction makes it more appealing to me.

Aeryk and Ned888 like this.
  2. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Lesser game? I don't know, maybe people like to believe that a $200 million dollar game, with tons of developers, is a lesser game than a maximum $5 million projected by RG, with a team of 25. ;)

Edit: I think if people are expecting SotA to far outstrip ESO, they are only setting themselves up for disappointment. That doesn't mean it won't be a good game. Just different, and one must have different expectations. If ESO isn't someone's cup of tea, then obviously they shouldn't play it.

Retro and Ned888 like this.
  3. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

My favorite quote from that article:

"At one point a boat’s captain asked me to find three of her missing crewmen. They were within her eyesight."

Edit: If you haven't read the short list of comments attached to that article, go back and check them out.

enderandrew and NRaas like this.
  4. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I haven't played ESO and don't intend to, but voice acting from quest givers does help provide a sense of story as opposed to floating text. It could be poor quest design, but some players feel it is better because of the voice acting.

5. Sir Brenton

Sir Brenton Avatar

Maybe you don't get my humor? ;)

This is an odd statement since I had to go underground to get the first one out of his prediciment and into the other starter areas for the other two...

Like I said, I think he is a bit jaded and tossing some sarcasm around in that post. Time will tell.

Caliya likes this.
  6. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I agree that what the author wrote about was almost certainly not a standard happening. I loved Oblivion, Morrowind, and even Skyrim to a lesser extent, but I also sympathize with the author's feelings about the overall feel of TES questing (though I haven't played ESO yet).

7. Margard

Margard Avatar

I can't speak for ESO; but I want to play a game - where I don't feel that I am on a quest (or a quest chain) but an adventure, a mystery, investigation etc etc

8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

SotA may be that. No quest log or quest markers. Largely just figuring things out from talking to people.

Kaisa likes this.
  9. smack

smack Avatar

I think some degree of repeatability of these types of quests is fine, but I'm also hoping that some of these are player generated via a job board. If they are NPC generated, I would like to see some of them triggered because of in game events. Town under siege, they run low or ran out of supplies of some sort and have to replenish before the next siege or something like that. Or they need to increase supply along the trade routes because other cities were more affected. So you know what you're doing has a greater purpose than just meaningless quests. But I'm ok with some of those as well but not as a majority of them.

NRaas likes this.
  10. Laska

Laska Avatar

If you have ever played an Ultima game you would know the quests were the best part of the game. The story of the Ultima series was the best I have ever seen. I fully expect this to be the case with shroud of the avatar. Just like ultima I expect all the quests to tell a rich compelling story.

Also I have to be honest having been a huge fan of Oblvion and Skyrim I though ESO was really boring I am also on the Beta and I have no desire to buy it. I really see almost nothing ground breaking I am so much more excited for Shroud of the Avatar.

smack likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

Completely agree with your first point. The more everything is based on story the richer the experience in everything. To your second point, I, hoping that ESO really "opens up" beyond the guided and restricted experiences of the starter islands. Then again, they just announced that the starter island experience can be skipped entirely now, based on player feedback from the Betas.

12. Otha Livinded

Otha Livinded Avatar

The more "sandboxish" SOTA is, the better. There can be quests, but they should alter themselves enough that that don't seem overly specific and repetitive. I think it's fine if farmer Jones is always needing seed potatoes, or pumpkin seeds or apple tree seedlings - but his needs should change and where you get the stuff ought to vary.

Free choice for the player is of utmost importance. Complex and specific quests only serve to add an unrealistic and plastic sense of inflexible sameness to the world. We should be able to explore without having a carrot leading us. Monster protected lairs need to simply be lairs- with achieving a quest being a strictly optional matter.

ESO has an unrealistic and WOW structure to it that makes me feel like I'm in a cleverly decorated maze. The only things interesting about it are the freedom to craft and gather ingrediants, along with the clever faction battling. The quests/lairs are sickeningly restrictive.

13. Andri

Andri Avatar

The quests in sota are broken for now though... and there are probably less than 10....

14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Got to agree with that. I've given it a good play during beta testing and I wasn't too impressed. Even less impressed when factoring in the totally unnecessary $15/mo fee that I reckon will get dropped within the first 12-18 months.

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.