The Elegant Pirate Part V - The Future Revealed

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Boris Mondragon, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

Boris spent the rest of the day waiting for sunset in one of the shacks by the beach. Right on time, two guards knocked and entered. "Captain Mondragon, please come with us. Lady Laura awaits on the beach." A short walk away was an overgrown area of bushes hiding an entrance to a cave. All three men entered and made their way to an exit on the other side that opened toward the ocean. Boris found himself on a secluded beach large enough for several huts. People were there, busy with a variety of work. Boris' keen eye noticed a small well-camouflaged ship docked further down the shore.

The guards ushered Boris to the largest of the huts, a place that struck him as vaguely familiar, a distant memory. He approached the door and knocked. A woman's soft voice responded, "Lord Mondragon, come in. Welcome back home." He pushed in the door, confused about the greeting.

The interior of the shack was simple. A large cauldron, some sticks, and a large skull were set against the back wall. In front of these were two straw mats. Laura sat on one and motioned Boris to sit opposite her. Between them were four braziers that glowed red. Laura produced a small pouch and sprinkled herbs onto the coals. The hut filled with a fragrance as dimly familiar as everything else. It intoxicated Boris, filling him with euphoria.

Laura looked at Boris' face and smiled. She tried to set him at ease, "Lord Mondragon, do not fear the sensations produced by the sacred plant. We used this 30 years ago today to relax your mother as she gave birth to you. Today you will learn many things about your present and future and what the Great Spirit has prepared for you."

Laura looked toward the cauldron and spoke a few words of incantation. Turning back to Boris, she brought forth a pouch with cowry shells. Cupping them in her hands, she touched them to Boris' forehead and said, "May the Great Spirit, our forefathers and the Sea Goddess bless us with clarity and give us the insight to understand the messages. She dropped the cowry shells several times and noted particular number combinations, especially the number with the open end facing up. Then she moved them to the side and began to speak.

"Lord Mondragon, your fate is confirmed. It was set when I read the shells to your mother on the day of your birth. She took you to the great city and left you in the orphanage for your safety. You needed to learn skills there that would help you set things right. We are all facing a grave danger from a far away land. You and others like you must destroy it or it will slowly consume us all.

You see this cauldron? It holds great and ancient magic. It chooses who will be allowed to learn it. Your father, Camilo Mondragon, was one so chosen. He went to battle the great evil. Now my shells tell me he is held captive by one whose name I do not know yet. But I do know that his captor animates the dead to do his bidding. He seeks domination. You must stop the evil and hopefully bring your father out alive. You must learn to use more than just your wits and blades. The elemental forces of earth, water and fire will be necessary to succeed. You must also learn to move in the shadows. The enemy knows of you and our plans. Fortunately, he cannot reach us here.

Your mother Alana sacrificed in many ways from your birth. She made a pact with the Sea Goddess and the Great Spirit to keep us safe and to ensure you could make
    it back here one day to learn your future. She will appear to you tonight to give you her blessing and that of the Sea Goddess.

This magic created by enslaving spirits in the cauldron is a double edged sword and I will expect your return in the future so you can instruct me on locking the magic. You must learn this magic in that new world. You must learn how it works, how to control it and then how to destroy it before it falls in the hands of those unworthy of its power. We must avoid having another one like the evil one use it again to control the elements, living and dead creatures.

Take these herbs. They can save lives in difficult moments. Simmer with coconut paste and ingest them or place them as a salve on serious injuries. May the Great Spirit guide you always Boris."

Laura stood and helped Boris to his feet, guiding him back out onto the beach. Night had fallen, and the moonlight cast an eerie illumination over everything. Boris tried to remember all that he had been told, yet still felt engulfed in euphoria. But one sight did draw clear attention. It started as a ripple in the sea, ten feet from shore. A stately woman emerged from the water. She had solid white hair, caramel skin and large green eyes. She approached Boris with a warm smile and held her hands out to him. It was Alana. It was his mother.

"Son, I am sure you know your heritage now and what the Great Spirit has in store for you. I can only remain in this form for a few hours before I must return to the form that allows me to keep this island safe. Pirates and many others have tried to destroy us since shortly after your birth. Come with me into the sea so I may bless you in front of the Sea Goddess."

Boris and Alana walked out into waist-deep water where they were joined by several female creatures the pirates call "sirenes". They sprinkled water on Boris, chanting in an unknown language. Boris thought this was all a dream until Alana laughed and shooed them away.

She looked at Boris again. "Son, you have my blessing and the blessing of the Sea Goddess. She sent these young 'ladies' on her behalf. They will guide you to the vortex tomorrow night so you can enter the realm where your fate leads you. I will await your return and hopefully that of your father as well." Alana gave Boris a final hug and returned to the water like she appeared. After a few moments, a silver dragon bolted from the water into the sky, circling Boris twice before disappearing into the night.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.