Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The enemy health change and lower level players

Discussion in 'Release 36 Feedback Forum' started by Silis, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silis

Silis Avatar

Overall I've really enjoyed this release, especially the changes to spell casting while moving. Being a mage feels so fluid and fun and there's an actual decision between build around moving and builds around stillness bonus now.

However there's one change that has caused a lot of heartburn for players and I heard it from guild members a lot last night. With the change to mob health a lot of mid to lower level players and even some in the higher levels are finding that the progress they felt like they were making was peeled back and its not a feeling anyone really enjoys and really impacted their enjoyment of the game. Unlike the resist change, it is not a game of experimenting with new build and skills to fight in areas. This change had the effect of altering the base difficulty of all the zones in the game.

While archers and mages have been made easier to kill there is not an equal distribution of them in all zones. Nor does it result in an equal duration fight if there are, this results in more strain on the player resources, focus, health, exp pool, etc. The end result as I mentioned is that many players feel like they are being pushed out of zones to find easier areas and that feeling of losing progress hurts.

While I think the idea of giving greater reason for the prioritizing of mobs in a fight is good, the melee creatures may have had their hp raised a bit too far and the effect has been instead to make the zones fundamentally harder especially for lower level solo players.

@Chris or @DarkStarr any thoughts on where this stands that I could carry back to those players?

Delilah, Lydia, Phebe and 5 others like this.
  2. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I'm right on the edge of stating that melee mobs HP is too high... I feel like, yes, they are more annoying now, but I feel like before they didn't even pose a threat... (as a kiting archer myself). So at least now I have to consider them, and slow them and watch where I'm training them.... it's good, but I could see that their HP may be a little too high? Unsure. It's definitely doable, and as other threads have stated already, I think the goal was to increase the difficulty across the board for most skull level zones 3 and above. And the increase in HP for melee mobs definitely does that!

Alexander and Cally like this.
  3. WehTeheFf

WehTeheFf Avatar

Actually I don't get the reasoning to make archers and mages a higher priority target. They already were for me and most ppl I know, because of their high damage and the fact that they're ranged.

The increase in HP for melee mobs is okay for me, but maybe a little too much in the current iteration.

Chatele and Jivalax Azon like this.
  4. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

This is an excellent analogy!

5. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I wonder what your opinion would be if you were a toe to toe fighter? I am finding leashes much longer now and I get mobbed by more of them than previously. I am 67 with base fighting (polearms) @100 and the rest of the polearm tree @80. I use a +1 weapon and plate I made with a cloth chest to help me with healing effect spells. None of these are the best I understand that. I can no longer compete in the same area today that I was able to two days ago.
    The only way I can gain exp now is to turn off all skills. I have to turn them off to keep building a larger pool to help when i do turn a few back on. This is itself hinders level progression.
    I have never played an archer so I don't know if there are advantages to being one compared to a melee type? If we were allowed to have more than one character like we are supposed to have perhaps I could find out. After all this effort I am not about to delete this guy and start over to compare.
    I have never been the type of player to remain in an area beneath my abilities. I move on and try the next harder mob. I follow a post made by Themo sometime back and it has worked pretty well. Now I just find myself unable to remain where I was and that bothers me. To me it is defeating that instead of progressing I am returning to what I considered a lower level to compete and gain. A power leveler I am not.

6. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Why can't they just add a 6 skull scene. Just take a 5 skull scene, clone it, and raise the mobs lvl's to fit a 6 skull scene and place the 6 skull scenes in all the different zones. Then when that's done, they can change the scenes to look different, and add new mobs to it .... this was you aren't screwing the low lvl's and you are pleasing the higher lvl player.... It's a win, win ....

Cally likes this.
  7. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

I'd be interested in hearing how a plate chest helps against defense of melee mobs, as compared to the cloth. I can't imagine logically how someone wearing all plate with only a tee shirt on can withstand a ton of melee punishment easily, no matter the level.

Cally likes this.
  8. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

This is what should have been done. Perhaps time didn't allow for this to take place. Now we all have a change lower levels never asked for but will have to deal with and relearn how to handle.

9. Jace3

Jace3 Avatar

I changed from a plate chest because the fail rate of casting was too high. I was taking almost the same amount of damage then that I am taking now with a cloth chest. But that is offset by the fact I can get off a spell when I really need it. It surprised me that it was so. I have to be more careful now about my health level but it works pretty well.

10. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

These will be dropped in today's build. About to make a post about it.

Acred, Alexander and Silis like this.
  11. Silis

Silis Avatar

Thanks for the info Chris!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.