1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Entrance to Artifice

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Jan 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

As most travelers and pilgrims to Xenos know,...across the rolling plains of Elysium,... several day's journey beyond the River Fall,... and perched in a crook of the craggy northern arm of the aptly-named Rumor Peaks,... lay the mysterious and legendary destination known as Artifice. Though there are a variety of tales that claim to know the truth behind why it was created, and by whom,...the only rumors that draw hopeful visitors from across the world to gather with needy abandon in the halls of Xenos are the stories told of the dreams and wishes that can come true for those lucky enough to win the lottery granting permission to enter Artifice's secluded depths.

This lottery, open to the rich and poor alike, grants the holder the power to pass beyond the glimmering golden door, and to feast one's eyes finally upon those things which are close to any pilgrim's heart. The lame, it is said, will be healed. The hungry, it is said, will be fed. The lonely, it is said, will find love. There are some who complain that those who are wealthy and affluent seem to win the lottery more often than those who are poor and in need of its miracles... But, honestly, who can truly judge the mercurial whims of whatever powerful forces created this mystical place? Surely, only the MOST worthy can hope to share in the miracles offered in Artifice, and if the groveling masses are kept at bay, allowing only the best of us to pass within its walls, then one can be assured that the rewards within must be truly fabulous,...and justly deserved.

Here is a little teaser of my work on the entrance of Artifice... My goal is meant to be a mix of the mythic gardens of Babylon and some ruined garden of earthly delights... Based loosely on an early concept by Stephen, and composed of existing props and set pieces,... the views of waterfalls, crumbling columns, and lush plants contrasted with the sparse and somewhat barren scenery below should make this place a fun little area to explore, and an interesting enigma to experience once players gain access to the marvels within. As soon as I have the chance I'll throw a few more images your way! Enjoy!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. Dinsoo

Dinsoo Avatar

Beautiful!!

Krohon, Leelu, FrostII and 2 others like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Very cool!

I love the background lore and the mystical entrance (the haunting light) that hints of power and intrigue beyond. :)

SUGGESTION!

Could you make a public garden here? Something that players could come from miles away to visit (and enter into the lottery) but also to grow small crops that might have some kind of magic depending on the circumstance? (astronomy)

Krohon, Daxxe Diggler and Leelu like this.
  4. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

WOW - really gorgeous!

Krohon and Leelu like this.
  5. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

a lottery entrance huh? that sounds super interesting.

awesomesauce!

6. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

YES! Waterfalls! That's a nice approach and introduction.

7. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

A lottery for the MOST worthy?

Is this lottery biased by the Oracle?

Look great!

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Something's bothering me about the waterfalls! It would make sense if they had a light mist around them. I'd like to see what they're depositing into also! If this is a mystical place, it would also make sense that people would also see the waters as mystical and swim there.

What are the two dragons with crossed swords?

9. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

I want to explore there now, really nice!

10. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

You can meet people trying to get to Artifice in Etceter...

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So.. who's maintaining the potted plants?

Krohon, Ronan, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  12. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Awesome :D

13. Acred

Acred Avatar

Glowing golden light in the doorway? Fighting dragons embellishing it? I'm thinking it is not only lava that will warm us up once we enter there!

Thank you for the preview, Scottie. :)

14. Scottie

Heh! The waterfalls look a little strange at this zoomed out view distance because the particles are currently set to appear when the character on the ground is close enough to actually see them (for the sake of frame-rate and such)... When you're actually in there and walking around, there's mist coming up and splashes at the base that obscures the intersection geometry a bit better and all the goodness you're probably missing in this artificially zoomed out preview... All these waterfalls actually flow several steps down and into a placid, deep pool (soon to be seen in later screenshots)... Will the waters ever convey magical properties to the swimmer? Whoooooo knooooowwwwws?!?!?! (mysterious sounds) ^_^ The dragons elements with crossed swords was merely my random choice of decorations, cherry-picked from elements that already existed... They serve elsewhere individually, as roof decorations on some style of building in our world,...made by our illustrious "Elegant Bob", I believe.... I chose these because an early concept of this area had some dragon motifs worked into it... Since I can't, in this instance, devote a lot of time toward creating unique, new architecture for this area,...this was my "found object" art interpretation of these designs... Fun stuff!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  15. Scottie

From what I hear, there are satyrs in the area that are tasked (by some unknown power) to tend to this site and to greet those seeking entrance... I suppose they wander the grounds... However,...I think the trending thought is that "magic forces" support the strangely-crumbling-yet-verdantly fecund nature of the place... A chosen theme hinting at the experience found within...

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

The fact that there's a lot of moisture from the waterfalls would do well to keep the plants' soil moist on its own! It doesn't look like a particularly dry area.

Aw, too bad!

Don't take that the wrong way -- it looks great and am looking forward to seeing it in game. But I think a lot of the newer scenes, not just this one, would have more visual impact with more unique interpretations. I hope you guys can go in at a later time and do that with some polish runs!

17. Scottie

That's certainly possible! For now, we're dedicated to doing what it takes to put all the elements of our base Episode 1 storyline in place,...and that includes working fast and hard to bring all the necessary maps we need online... Though of course folks like me are keen to make these areas as beautiful as we can with the limited time we have to fulfill this current goal, we all are working under the assumption that there will be a chance to go back later and achieve an even finer degree of visual polish and unique decoration...

Krohon, Spoon, KuBaTRiZeS and 8 others like this.
  18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I smell a trap! I'm going to win this lottery and enter with the belief that I'm going into a mysterious place that will make my dreams come true... but I'll be ready for that nasty dragon that is trying to trick me into becoming his next snack! :eek:

Seriously though, this entrance scene looks fantastic and the story behind it all is very intriguing. I can't wait to explore this area in-game!

Krohon, Spoon, Acred and 1 other person like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Now why would you think such a thing?
    Artifice Definition: clever or cunning devices or expedients, especially as used to trick or deceive others.

Krohon and Acred like this.
  20. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

like making a sand castle right? :p
    build the base then carve out the finer details :)

Krohon and Scottie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.