The Glass is Half Empty - A look inside why people are opposed to Open PvP and Full Loot

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by antalicus, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I heard they are making a ******** game and there won't be pvp'ing in there you might want to check it out..... I mean if this game is going to succeed, it should have PvP to make it more interesting and interactive. I don't want to just talk and walk around holding hands with my online friends, i want to have the sense of danger a real player might jump out of the woods and want to fight.... it's boring to walk around and kill computer avatars... It doesn't mean i want to fight everyday, i remember in UO i went days without altercations in that game and it was enjoyable. Just consider this: in a open risk world, when you meet a bunch of strangers, its in your interest to be polite and know whos around you, otherwise you might be in the wrong company and get robbed or pked! But in a world where you can turn the switch, I no longer have to fear anything or even acknowledge that strangers are around me. This in its essence kills interaction between players, and is the the main result of why the others worlds are dying.

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I would change your words to look more like the quote since what you said is a naughty word here on the forums. :)
    But I like what you are saying when players can walk through and not even have to worry about anything the other player does then it's almost like he is invisible to you.
    You are more likely to talk to someone passing by if he can attack you just to see what kind of person he is.

3. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

lol this again? Old threads never die, they just get up like rotting corpses and shamble on and on and on looking for more brains to eat.

Or how 'bout another image. Old threads are like dead horses, people can't resist the urge to beat them.

4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

@TigerKhan, That "caring" term is banned here because it is commonly used in a derogatory way. Also you heard wrong or misunderstand what SOTA is. It will not a traditional MMO. Many details are not available, but there will be PVP. If you consider Open PVP to be forcing everyone into PVP that does not want to, then you are at least right on that point. Otherwise, Open PVP options will be available. There are plenty of threads discussing it, but this in not the best one to reference.

[​IMG]

AuroraWR, Vyrinor and Phredicon like this.
  5. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

This reminds me of the not so anciet proverb. "You do not truly know someone until you fight them." I couldn't resist. :)

6. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I think he would of liked playing UO.

Furious Farmer likes this.
  8. Coren

Coren Avatar

I wonder, did you actually ever play UO?

On some days, you couldn't step outside of town without "VAS KAL FLAM VAS KAL FLAM VAS KAL FLAM OooOooo". (The other days, some bozo found a way to cast from some bit of the roof of a bank the guards couldn't reach and you didn't need to step outside of town first).

After a while, you're right. PKing became rarer; Trammel happened and people who actually wanted to play the game fled there.

-- Coren

NirAntae, Xandra7, skinned and 3 others like this.
  9. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I don't know how you handled the pk's but I joined guilds.
    Most of the guilds I joined were about things like horor and justice.
    And almost every guild I joined always had at least a few that were good at PVP so if we ran into trouble we could get help.
    And it looks like you didnt do anything about the spells they used to kill you with.
    If I saw a spell starting to fly I hit my macro to recall back home.
    So yea even though I was not good at PVP I learned how to deal with the PK's.
    And even if I did get killed getting another full set of exceptional platemail did not take that long.
    I could get the ingonts rather quickly and with GM blacksmiths in the guild you were up and running in no time.

TigerKhan and licemeat like this.
  10. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

UO: Compton

licemeat likes this.
  11. Coren

Coren Avatar

So did I. So did most people.

Few people actually enjoy not being able to play the game they're paying for because someone else feels that they're playing it wrong. Strange that.

-- Coren

NirAntae likes this.
  12. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Im farily new to this forum and this comment goes directly to the OP: If I want PvP and the attendant griefing and irritation I don't need a game real life is full of it. I find PvP stressful, aggravating and NOT what I want to do with my time off. In an RPG Id rahter be PvE and Coop, for person on person Ill go WoT. Just my opinion.

Im sure many people feel differently and that is cool, again this is just my opinion.

Mod edited for content

13. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

PvP should be allowed in this game or you are running around pointlessly killing AI skeletons and monsters.... after a while it's boring..

jondavis and TemplarAssassin like this.
  14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Since PvP is purely by consent in SotA, I'm not sure griefing will even be possible. At least no one has been able to supply a good example of what might be considered griefing in SotA.

MagiK likes this.
  15. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

[​IMG]

It's hard to have NICE THINGS as long as there are people running around with opinions like these.
    Sir. (or ma'am). I don't know where are you from, but in my world there are people with lives and jobs who still enjoy PvP and are able to find the time to kill and loot some newbs while being adults with jobs etc.

Allright, PvP is consensual in this game, you got that, no one's gonna come and kill you while you're busy roleplaying with dragons or whatever you PvE folks like to do.

But comments like this, about "jerks with no life and no job" just make me sick.

It's always good to see new faces on the forums, yet it's saddening to see that there are peole out there with no concept of good RPing in their minds. How can you wish for a good RP experience in a multiplayer game yet want to remove the PvP aspect?
    And if you do not care about roleplaying and immurshun, why even bother playing a RG game? I herd there's the new counter-strike coming out soon. Or was it Quake?

TigerKhan likes this.
  16. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Aw yes, I agree. UO was hell on earth. God damn, man, I still remember the fires. THE FLAMES.

Was a horrible game. A truly horrifying experience. Worst MMO of all times. People could chose between dying to a lag spike or dying to a horde of a hundred kal-vas-flaming pkers with a murderboner. And after you died and went to a healer, there were even more pkers camping in stealth to kill you as soon as you rez.
    So yeah, pretty much this. UO was a horrible game. No wonder everyone quit and the game died in 98.

Espada likes this.
  17. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Its also hard to have nice things when there are people with the opposite opinion. Blame lies on both sides of the fence, not just one. I'm in the middle, I like PvP, but only with people I trust and respect. I am a roleplayer, and you are right that PvP very often plays a large role in that, but its not one of the primary roles for me.

I hope they really work hard to make the PvP aspect of this game as deep and enjoyable as the rest of the game, but I also hope they do not do that at the EXPENSE of the rest of the game, and I imagine that the majority is likely in a similar boat, somewhere in the middle of these polar opposites. But make no mistake, for every person with the above attitude, its been true at some point, and therefore is a VALID viewpoint. It may not be prolific, or even common, but SOMETHING happened to cause it.

The extreme views are just that, the xtreme views. The devs know this, the rest of the majority sitting here in the middle knows that. There is no need to attack or berate anyone over it.

NirAntae, AuroraWR, Vyrinor and 2 others like this.
  18. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

This is no place for such cats.

TigerKhan likes this.
  19. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Really? Why?

There are no primary roles. All aspects of roleplaying are equally important. RG's UO used to let players immerse themselves into a fantasy world, live there. In the case of SotA, I won't settle for less.

Funny. UO's PvP was "primitive" in terms of skills, spells and their numbers, yet it beat everything I've seen in MMOs so far. Yes, a hunter in WoW had dozens of spells and at some point during the Lich King PvPing on a hunter felt like playing the piano, yet it all seems rather boring once you realise you don't even get to loot the guy you just piano'd the hell out of.

You call me extreme because I don't accept the way many people want to play MMOs?RG made a fantastic MMORPG once because he didn't accept and didn't like the views of the majority.Because I try to tell people, who probably just arrived here from some WoW server that there is a lot more to Multiplayer Roleplaying than just isolating yourself in a cocoon with a few "trusted" friends and killing drakes till the end of time?

It's funny how merely voicing an opinion on a forum can be viewed as "attacking" in the nowaday's liberal society.

20. DEricF

DEricF Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.