The great gold nurf of R46

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2112Starman, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoffer

Scoffer Avatar

You are right but with everything else mentioned (scrolls, toolkits, potions, caltrops etc) being increased in drop rate the loss of the weapon sales should be mitigated at least a little.

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  2. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

*sigh* I remember way back when...when the first big assed gold nerf took place...back when I could make a decent amount to support my advancement. The Nerf was a dura nerf and hit only those of us who didn't/can't spend many hours a day playing.

It was interesting too...some players seemed to have an abundance of prescience as they rolled out their vendors buying/selling COTO's. LOL the house next to me still has buy orders up from that period.. offering 1050 per COTO.

The thing that has remained is that the top players weren't impacted. Just look at the amounts that artifacts etc go for...

I've been very fortunate in that regard as one of my best m8's is in the top 5 and doesn't have a selfish bone in his.. err her body. The masses still await....

@Chris lol you still have this bitching of mine to deal with ;p~~~~~~~

LOOT darn it.. LOOT!!

3. Black777Lodge

Black777Lodge Avatar

I still don't undertand how people can be such egocentric to make their personal problems to a global one.....take it as it is, now you need 30 minutes longer to get your goal - SO WHAT ?

4. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

You may not get producer at the kobold camp, but you can make great exp and coin, give it a shot?

5. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Is Ulfheim still as good as before? those humans gave like 3k xp each and the respawn was pretty fast. Can't remember now if those are same tier as elite skeletons.

6. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

ulfheim now has better overall loot and reapers which i guess is good exp if you can kill them fast

7. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I do hate that they keep taking sellable drops out and replacing them with cheaper alternatives - the worst part for me is the 'special' weapons have a much lower drop rate.
    However this has been going on long before R46, really. The good news is, drop rates on scrolls and repair kits as up, so at least some of our expenses are mitigated.

8. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ya, the EXP is still great.

however, Ulf is an cloned area just like Seq Collosus was. Seq Colossus used to be my main farm spot until they uncloned it, now it sucks. I really hope they dont ruin Ulf.

Cordelayne, FrostII and Rada Torment like this.
  9. ErikRulez

ErikRulez Avatar

Apparently I am avoiding whatever huge costs other people have because I haven't had any gold problems in ages. Perhaps I just have a leaner approach to living in SOTA.

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  10. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

I thought Ulfheim was "unique" since they decided to add new mob spawns and now added reapers. But maybe you right.

About Seq. Colossus, I still see people farming there but if they are there for high level skeletons (elites), isnt Wyrmsands better? or they just go there for liches? I never liked much that spawn.

11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Funny, I've made more gold this release than all the previous 45. Still only leveling in DR.

12. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

It's probably two things. First, without a tax-free lot, that's quite a gold sink in this tight economy, and second, people insisting on GM masterwork and enchanting, making them use up lots of silver and gold, when the returns are dubious right now with low population and without enough systems implemented yet to make higher skills profitable.

In my case, my gold level has been basically the only thing I've been tracking from release to release. I haven't been selling rewards or junk loot (potions, low-value stuff like aortic thrombus), so that gives me a good feel for the economy. I'm at 950K right now and will hopefully reach 1M by the end of R46. I don't know what I'll shoot for after that.

13. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

With the scroll prices below 151gp each we are already not making a profit on teleport and recall scrolls.

Solazur, Cordelayne and Numa like this.
  14. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I could make a minor profit at 150 (the lazy "add a zero" price), but that meant a lot of time turning wood scraps into pulp while doing something else.

But now they're basically being given away free with breakfast cereal.

Solazur likes this.
  15. Johnwick

Johnwick Avatar

The weapon drops and bags of crap are worthless to the casual adventurer, its a shame when you just end up deleting the weapons from your inventory cause its not worth holding on too. There definitely needs to be more items worth keeping and selling, based on crafting materials and the item you make, its pretty expensive, which after all the work you receive barely any gold for it and harder to buy decent stuff when you dont have alot of gold to spend (especially if your paying lot fee as well)

Cordelayne likes this.
  16. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I disagree. A large portion of my gold comes from weapon drops.

[edit] Also, supply bundles usually have something useful, like potions or repair kits.

17. Nikko

Nikko Avatar

Reapers... interesting. I have not seen one yet. Does anyone know when they were added in? Can someone post a picture of one here? ...And to make this related to the topic, do they drop any loot worthwhile?

18. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

They drop mostly wood stuff. Underwhelming but at least something better than 5 gold and a shabby wand.

19. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

They were added last release and they can drop ashen heartwood

Nikko likes this.
  20. Net

Net Avatar

I hate that, it is pretty time consuming to make scrolls and not that cheap and people who farm xp end up with so many of them from mobs they often lower prices to unreasonable levels. And even if they do not sell them ,they are not buying theem because they have so many... And people who play less do not need that many and are low on gold anyway...

I still think that the consumables are the best way to get economy working, they are reelatively cheap, people use them all the time, they are not really needed, but nice to have... Hard to make living selling furniture when not eeveryone has housing (or wants specific furniture and then it lasts forever). Much easier to sell food or scrolls or potions.

Anyway as a scroll crafter
    The most expensive part about scrolls is 10 black pearls, I cannot grow them and harvesting them is so time consuming I have to buy them... so that is 60 gold there. I am usually able to get my costs down to 110 ish gold per scroll. The thing is, the time it takes to make one scroll

Growing mandrake/nightshade, harvesting water, making pulp from scraps and finally making scrolls. And then visiting veendor and updating stock... and I sell scrolls on average for 140 gold or so (I sell individual ones for 149 or so and bigger batches cheaper) so I make about 30 gold per scroll. And it may take me probably about 30 seconds to minute to get one scroll... so I am getting about 300-600 gold per hour. Maybe up to 1000. And some very low crafting xp.

On the upside I do not have to pay much attention to the game while crafting, but it is terrible to be crafter (unless you are supper lucky and manage highly desirable enchant/masterwork).

Potion making or scrolls is such a waste of time though and it is not even fun process.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.