1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Halls of Artifice (a work in progress)

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Feb 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Having passed through the golden door of Artifice's grand entrance, one immediately finds oneself standing in a beautiful atrium, greeted by warm shafts of light which fall from a large oculus set in the domed ceiling above a gurgling fountain. Those who may have entered at dusk or in the midst of night will suddenly realize that if these warm rays are sunlight, then you may have left your world behind entirely... As your gaze sweeps across the chamber, you'll notice over a dozen benches tucked against walls between pillars and potted plants, all empty. In fact, regardless of the number who may have entered with you, this chamber echoes with your footsteps alone. Ahead and to the side, beyond the sunken floor below the dome, are three separate vestibules with three smaller golden doors, much like the one you just passed through... When you turn around, however, you see not the shining portal through which you just stepped,...but two great bronze-bound doors that, when tested, are locked and stuck fast against you. It seems you have choices to make, and the only way through is forward. Could the promised rewards lay beyond this new set of magical gateways?
    [​IMG]
    As I begin building the inner Halls of Artifice, I seek to maintain the theme I began outside; a mix of Greco-Roman-inspired architecture, with just a hint of Gothic mixed in. Though we don't have any truly Babylonian-style assets to work with, a mix of our dungeon and sewer sets re-skinned with more "desert-like" materials and colors will help blend them in with some of the generic ruined assets we have purchased and altered for our needs, and will hopefully help continue the whole "hanging gardens opulence" vibe I'm going for... That, of course, mixed with a strange sense of "all that glitters is not gold" and possibly "lonely, ethical desolation"... ^_^ Enjoy the progress! More to come soon, as more special chambers are developed.... I think you'll find the emerging themes "interesting", to say the least...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Awesome designs..!!:)

Leelu likes this.
  3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

wow very intriguing! im super curious as to what these paths will lead to.

Cordelayne and Leelu like this.
  4. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I like having a world with colour in it, though I think instead of the current flower pots if you had more permanent looking stone bases that might look better in the scene.

I love that this one is shaping up to be a unique scene though.

Cassandra Corax, majoria70 and Leelu like this.
  5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

It's looking great. Love the tile floor part where its moved about over time, raised and moved in places, and isn't all nice and perfect.

6. Acred

Acred Avatar

I'm already looking for clues which gateway would be the best to choose, but this special place looks like a spot to linger in. Thank you for the peek at it, Scottie .

Cassandra Corax and Leelu like this.
  7. Scottie

Oh there will be clues, worry not,... which I'll arrange near those entrances once I have a chance to work on the content of each of the areas they lead to... Fun stuff!

Thanks! I chose those pieces specifically because of their nicely "natural" look... Those were a great set of assets we got our hands on... I can't take credit for creating them, though,...just greedily using them, in this instance... ^_^

Yes, I agree. And assuming I'm able to have time to make them, I want to add more permanent, decorative works of stone that fit the area's theme, such as the decorative urns and stone benches suggested in an earlier post about the exterior entrance... For now, I must do the best I can with what we already have, and fill in extra goodies later, as time permits... Keep your fingers crossed for me!

8. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i'm actually surprised that ISNT a public baths, with the solarium and fountain in the middle.

quite aesthetically pleasing.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I appreciate the stonework here, especially the imperfections in the floor. It gives it a good feel. Nice work.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

This is a very nice room, particularly the dome on top and the skylight. I like the faint ambience in the room also.

I'm still wondering if we're going to find out where the waterfalls come from :D

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I am trying to imagine the loot in this place :)

Leelu likes this.
  12. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

Pretty nice. A beautiful place. I could imagine some butterfly or colibri fly around, or a budgie.

13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Is the main gate into Artifice supposed to be working now on QA server?

14. Kortek

Kortek Avatar

Stunning!!! Very unique compared to the rest of the scenes!!!

Cassandra Corax, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  15. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The detail of the stone walls is truly jaw dropping and the lighting is amazing! The Halls of Artifice is a place I'm really looking forward to visiting.

16. amaasing

amaasing Avatar

This is probably going to be one of my favorite places to visit. Great Job.

17. Scottie

As I return to work on the wondrous Halls of Artifice, I begin by designing the first of the three primary halls that are accessed from the main Entry Chamber. Each of these are themed upon the ideals of pleasure and bounty as personal paradises shared with only those lucky few who have already found their way here, and remain to enjoy their chosen state of bliss. An indication of what awaits within can be seen spilling out into the entry vestibule as one approaches the first of these enticing halls that I have created.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Behold a chamber of sensual opulence, where exotic, overstuffed furnishings upon which one may sit and lay can be found on every side. Rich, warm light spills into the hall from velvet-curtained stained glass windows on every wall, and luxurious veils of red muslin hang from the ceiling, giving the chamber the feeling of grand comfort and intimacy that even a sultan's harem would envy! This is the Hall of Youth and Vigor, and one can only imagine the pleasures to be shared with those deemed worthy of its offerings. Here and there, mirrors, vanities, shelves, and dressers tucked away in the shadowy recesses, offer the perfect gentle glow where an adherent to such joys might admire the perfection of one's own visage, or discreetly gaze back on the activities of others.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

At the far end of the hall, below a dim lanthorn, a small circular table has been placed, upon which rests a strange object, like a hexagonal chest. What mysteries does it contain, and by what secret methods might it open? Is it, perhaps, a reliquary? The shadows around it are deep, and as such, not nearly as enticing as the sights and sounds that will surround you once this chamber is adorned with the beautiful denizens that will welcome you to join them in their endless ecstasies.
    [​IMG]

Turning back, one can see the golden doorway through which this hall was achieved. Could it be possible that each of the other doors leads to equally opulent and enchanting luxuries? If so, there can be little doubt that leaving this place of miracles might be the last thing you'd ever want to do! Ah well, as tempting as the glowing portal may be, the youthful beauties splayed conveniently upon nearby beds and couches,...or even the ones admiring themselves in the grand mirrors,...are far more tempting still. Perhaps they would enjoy some company?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I hope you've enjoyed this first taste of Paradise!

More to come...

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    Serena Barus, Maka, Mata and 23 others like this.
  18. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

I NEED that blue furniture.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

This looks awesome, great job. I wish the cities in the game had areas that look this beautiful. Nice to see something other than dirt and mud for a change. :)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

I have 2 questions:
    1. How do I get in there?
    2. Why would I ever want to leave?

This looks awesome Scottie! Love the tile flooring, the veils hanging from the ceiling, the sunlight pouring thru the stained glass, that exquisite furniture... even those grand arching support columns and the detailed ceiling. All these details give this room a sense of luxury and wealth.

Am I going to have to show that I'm greedy to get access to this room? :p

Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.