The Hard Questions & Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by majoria70, Jan 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Heh...this time of the year again?

2. chrisjwhite

chrisjwhite Avatar

@macnlos I kinda like the idea of the Wolf and Sheep thing, maybe call it something else though and add the "potions" to the $9 mo subscription. Outlander subscription and Avatar subscription, both the same except for the potion. Outlander = PvP, Avatar = non PvP. Also bring in the UO style Reds, Greys, Blues and bounty systems. Make it so most NPC towns are safe and POT owners can make it safe or not.

Free version, have it the same as now but maybe make more of the current zones PvP. Double or triple the current PvP zones.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    yinki2 and macnlos like this.
  3. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

SotA scratches the Eve itch in many ways. The Devs need to acknowledge this, figure out why, and perfect that part of the game. As niche as it might seem, nailing one market like that is enough to fund the rest of the project.

macnlos likes this.
  4. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I understood you the first time, and I wouldn't support such an idea... If you want to PvP then fine, go do it, but don't drag me into it unwillingly or otherwise... I wouldn't pay money for that, I don't see the problem here, just take the protection OFF and your done, you can do that now... Without changing a thing...

There is no Full Loot for a reason, but if a player acquires items while adventuring, you can loot all those items, including Gold, if I'm not mistaken... The Gold will go to your Bank, but all the other items of value, like resources are up for grabs...

You Old school UO players don't seem to get it, I'm sorry for that... The Trammel argument is dead as a horse, stop beating it...

5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

POT owner can do this now, what's stopping them? I've walking into a couple of POTs and got the warning, so I did not enter, sorry... Not for me...

Sentinel2 likes this.
  6. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I totally agree...

And I just want to know why: when I grow mandrake, I can harvest 1282 from the crop, then when I grow nightshade, I only get 934 from the harvest? and I did wait until Midnight to harvest them, so...

7. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I can and did, it's the most relevant example of two very similar items giving people a choice that indicates if they prefer full loot PvP to safe PvP.

Is there some counter evidence in another game that shows otherwise?

This isn't about whether we create another Trammel equivalent, you appear to be arguing for our current situation to be turned into a felucca equivalent. I'm just pointing out that that's a minority view.

Kain Darkmoor likes this.
  8. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

this sounds like an accurate assessment and if it is than it's sad. It is not sustainable because people will only hang around for shiny objects for so long before they leave due to lack and meaningful content. Take me for example. I am still around because I like the concept, see the potential, and I have hope for the game but at any time if I start to feel like all they are in it for is a buck and not to create an epic game than I am out and I feel most people are this way.

oplek and Cordelayne like this.
  9. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

eve online (in the areas where pvp is allowed) is full loot. It doesn't discourage people from going there. Sure some stay in the relative safety of hi sec but many travel to low sec, null space, and worm holes and actually live there. I would think the vast majority do that NOT because of full loot pvp but because the rewards in those system are worth it. People learn to deal with the pvpers in those area and to either avoid them or just take the hit. either way the fact that its full loot doesn't discourage people from going there so the trick. make it worth peoples while to go into areas where it is full loot so people will be willing to risk it. :)

yinki2 likes this.
  10. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

So Port would be selling insurance for people's equipment then?

Nevyn Waldail likes this.
  11. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

why not??? if it brings people to the game than sure. why not???

12. Rook Strife

Rook Strife Avatar

There are plenty of backers that have stated they would prefer the game be polished rather than new content.

I don't know why you would continually need shiny new things in the addon store.

If they were making a serious attempt on polish people could just support it by spending their money on crowns or whatever rather than the shiny new objects.

You lose some money in the short term and gain it back in the long run with a high quality game.

Amelli, yinki2, Nevyn Waldail and 2 others like this.
  13. oplek

oplek Avatar

I'm not even sure "wanting more content" well-describes my position. I want a bigger toolbox, and a deeper play pen, to do my own projects. I'd rather have a zone that is just flat with nothing in it, but I can do things like make a base, defend it, capture it, etc. PVP is a possible "depthening" if it's done well.

Fishing is content. It's a slot machine. You pull a lever, and you get a fish out of it. With high enough skills, your chances to get good fish increase 5%, after you've kiloGM'd all the skills. There's not a lot of project potential there. You can make food, or get a decoration.

For the dungeons+player-quests, I think the biggest turn-off for me is that it's essentially for other people. If I make a dungeon for myself, it's going to be optimized for farming. Obviously I'm going to know my own riddles in any quests. So it's for other people. I'm not that inclined to try to start a marketing campaign with viral ads to try to get people to visit it. So what's the point? I barely decorate my house as it is.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  14. Jikininki

Jikininki Avatar

I want to second/third/forth daily quests! They have been my favorite part of any game I've devoted time and funds too, MMOs and otherwise.

Vaiden Luro, Feeyo, Sentinel2 and 3 others like this.
  15. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I also want to know: why resource gatherers have "Diminishing" return and Gold farmers do not?

I was in Vertas Pass and all the silver nodes became very long on their respawn timers, to the point where it wasn't worth doing... But when I kill critters over and over, they seem to respond faster and their Gold is still the same...

I feel the devs need to change this thinking because pumping endless Gold into this game is going to cause vast inflation and that's bad for the economy...

Why are Crafters treated like this? Just to stymy uber gear from being produced? Instead of having gear wear out faster, maybe the trick is to have better gear to upgrade too... Then players would feel the need to get rid of their old gear and replace it for better gear... Just a thought...

When WoW has bound gear, it is quite evident that when you level up, you should also get better gear... Maybe SotA should have this felousify too and crafters build level gear like Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced types as their skills improve... A sort of "class" system but for all the different types of gear... If new players are around then craft Beginner gear, if not the higher class gear... Using the same systems we have now of: Cloth, Leather, Metal, Bone... Maybe throw in some sort of "Wood or Bark" styles of armor, we do get a supply of Barks, let's make use of them...

16. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

Dark age of Camelot among others had gear related to level. If you wore gear too good for you it wore out faster. So you would have a new set every 10 levels or so. That should be relatively easy to implement against the +? to hear.

Gorthyn and SmokerKGB like this.
  17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

This got me to thinking: What if: new continents had only wilderness scenes, large scenes with only camp sites in them, a camp site would have lots 1/2 the size of row lots, but have a camp fire pit that's actually a cooking station when a fire is going, which needs to be fueled by logs and started by someone... There are only 5 camping lots around each fire pit, lots are big enough for a tent, sleeping bag, maybe an entrance for a dungeon/basement and maybe one station sized area for 1 station/chest...

If these scenes had 4 or 5 of them inside, then players could raid each others camps, looting, burning tents, pillaging chests (yes these are PvP zones or POTs or Game towns with related rules)... The camp sites are just spread way out and lots not set up like city streets... Dirt pavers can be created, no fences, only tent style homes...

I don't like lottery style systems either, so we should go for skill base systems, where skill determines what fish or area you can fish in... No RNG roll the dice things... Maybe bigger fish size as your skill rises...

Just my thoughts...

18. ShurTugal

ShurTugal Avatar

I like where this is going. Maybe we could have devastating traps we could set to defend our camps or other forms of defense. I would stay in one of these camps. :)

SmokerKGB likes this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Vlad, are we playing the same game?
    Because SotA really doesn't imo. I guess i know you long enough by now. So my best guess is that your eve itch is different than mine ^^

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Nevyn Waldail

Nevyn Waldail Avatar

I've now got an urge to play Eve again, lol

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.