The Hidden Treasures of Kahli (Persistent Treasure Hunting Quest)

Discussion in 'Reoccurring & Future Events' started by Elgarion, Jun 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

[​IMG]
    Just within the borders of Kahli, an ancient and forgotten city of yesteryear, you are greeted by traveling merchants, disheveled and panicked, in dire need of your assistance. What say you, Avatar? Do you take up this challenge? Do you venture forth into the lands of Kahli in search of the treasure chests scattered therein? And what say you, oh virtuous one? Do you in fact return these treasures to the traveling merchants in hopes they will provide resupply to other travelers such as yourself? Or do you horde these treasures, forsaking the virtues only just now returning to these depraved lands?

One of the traveling merchants implores, 'Stranger! Please, we are in need of your assistance! We thought taking respite within Kahli might offer some modicum of safe haven; however, as we traveled throughout this territory, our mules scattered and fell victim to the skeletons of Ravensmoor. Alas, our treasures are scattered throughout this forsaken land. Please, if you have any shred of decency, we implore -- aid us in our time of need! We beg of you! If you find any of our chests, please, return their contents to us! If you make use of these items, albeit a less virtuous choice, better you to make use of them than some of the vermin which inhabit Kahli! In fact, if you have anything of value in which you can spare, please place these items in the chest at our feet. I assure you, we will be certain to offer these items to other travelers in need. And perhaps, one day, we will have the resources we require to once again return to the Vale.'

----------------------------------------------

By aiding the Traveling Merchants, you have two options. Find and utilize their lost treasures, claiming them as your own. This would certainly not be the most virtuous of choices. You may also find these treasures and return them to the vendors, placing these rare objects into the chest at their feet. This way, the merchants wares are replenished but other travelers throughout New Britannia, perhaps more in need than you, can claim these items, aiding them on their journeys through Kahli and the nearby Ravensmoor.

There are 9 Treasure Chests Total
    (Including The Chest of Virtue at the Main Entrance)

I'll do my best to replenish and move the hidden chests as often as possible, and will likely be contributing 20-30 dollars a month to the Obsidian Potions/Crowns of Obsidian utilized for these chests (which will effect my replenishment rates accordingly). Please let me know if you find a chest, by chest number, to assist in my replacement ventures, but its not necessary. ALSO, Elgarion is a chest in and of himself! Be sure to find and attempt to slay him OR as a more virtuous choice, role-play with him, for certainly the kindly wizard might grant you something for your safe journeys ahead, if you find him within the borders of Kahli and make an offer of peace and pleasant conversation. (Hint... Elgarion likes ale!)

Also, to maintain my goal of $20-30 spent on the contest monthly. Each week when I run around checking chests. If any have not been emptied, I'll add an additional Crowns of Obsidian into any undiscovered chest as I do my weekly chest verifications. If it was discovered and emptied, of course it will receive replenished rewards, but starting at the base level. This way, its almost like a lottery. No winners? That chest's prize keeps gettin bigger and bigger!

This Quest's RPOTA.COM Quest Entry

Kahli's Main Description Page on the SotA Forums

Choose wisely, oh Avatars, for the Oracle is Watching!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  2. Berek

Berek Senior Community Manager Moderator SOTA Developer

3. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Excellent -- many thanks, Berek! And darn it, my Imageshack pictures keep dying! I gots a support ticket in. Hope the thread becomes perty again soon :p

Time Lord likes this.
  4. Womby

Womby Avatar

Awesome idea! @Berek: Perhaps when Portalarium introduces additional support for player-created quests (containers that allow only one item per player to be taken[1] and containers with combination locks[2], for example) they could at the same time have a player-created Quest competition.

[1] A mechanism for giving only a single item to players who complete the quest.
    [2] A mechanism for only rewarding players who complete the quest, and nobody else. (The combination is gradually revealed while completing the quest.)

5. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

Agreed! I gotta say, I tested this concept where I was running around manually reseting chests during the telethon, and after about 3 hours I was like -- man! I'd rather just watch beer and watch the Telethon lol. So mechanisms to assist with loot distribution would be fantastic, so I wouldn't have chests go empty and I could take a little longer between moving them. I'll have to do a round of investigation today to make sure there are no empty chests out there. So far, I've had 2 claimed and reset since I issued this ad ;)

6. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

I just did a round of chest hunting to see if any had been claimed. Decided to do this to maintain my goal of $20-30 spent on the contest monthly: Each week when I run around checking chests, If any have not been emptied, I'll add an additional Crown of Obsidian into the undiscovered chest. If it was discovered and emptied, of course it will receive replenished rewards, but starting at the base level. This way, its almost like a lottery. No winners? That chest's prize keeps gettin bigger and bigger. Hope this eventually inspires some competitive treasure hunters to delve into Kahli. I'll adjust the instructions above accordingly as well.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    Rhiannon, Time Lord and Womby like this.
  7. Elgarion

Elgarion Avatar

IN-CHARACTER:

With a quiet thoughtfulness, Elgarion, the old wizard living within a repurposed Obsidian Tower in the ever so isolated town of Kahli, sat down upon the front steps of his home. A small parcel had arrived which was a rarity. Now, the roads being reclaimed by man, and the creatures and bandits being driven back into the murk of forests and swamps, couriers once again travel the roads offering their services to would-be mailers. After a light of his pipe and a few puffs of his tabac, Elgarion set to work upon the strings and paper binding together the delivery. Inside, Elgarion was please to find the following:

2 Golden Crowns of the Obsidian
    1 Obsidian Potion
    1 Wax Cylinder Recording of The Dance of Fawns
    1 Note of Impeccable Penmanship

Intrigued, Elgarion took to the note with great interest as he spoke to himself, "What an odd suprise. Who would send me such tings?" The note read:

Hi there Elgarion, I'm writing you because I found something interesting on the hilltop near Boreus Village.

After hiking around for a bit, I found a chest near the top containing some Obsidian Relics! I'm not sure where they came from, but I figured you would like to take a look at them.

Let me know if you have any idea where they originated from. I wonder if there could be more treasure hidden nearby?

Nodding to himself, Elgarion stood after gathering the items. Bundled again within the paper and strings, the old wizard readied his walking stick and began his journey to the entrance of Kahli. There, trapped within their perpetual curse, were the Traveling Merchants. Forever selling their wares, forever seeking the return of their treasures which were lost so many years ago. Elgarion would place these items into the Chest of Virtue which lay by their side. Perhaps the merchants may take notice, and sell these items again, but likely they would not. These valuables will more likely benefit future travelers that may become lost within those canyon walls. Hopefully, they will fall into the hands of one in need and bring them hope in times of despair.

Whilst puffing his pipe, Elgarion set upon the trail.

OUT-OF-CHARACTER:
    Adam Crow is the first person to discover a chest, and chose the side of Virtue! The items were returned, and will be placed into the Chest of Virtue at Kahli's entrance. I hope one worthy and in need will claim these items. Take care, Avatars!

On that note, this chest will be relocated. All chests will get 1 additional item of value today. This chest, being just relocated and reset, will only have 1 item of value while all others will contain 5 items of value! Have fun, adventurers!

Adam Crow likes this.