The Imbalance of Dark Unicorn Poison with the Archer Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sappersteel76, Apr 21, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sappersteel76

sappersteel76 Avatar

So, as many of you have discovered the Archer class has seen a rise in utility and popularity, and it has been a long time coming. I myself began the game as an Archer as I have in other games. With the advent of the Xen bow and other items it has breathed new life in to this forgotten build.
    However, another item has given to this build "god-like" power. It is Dark Unicorn Poison (DUP). You may ask yourself, "How could a poison that is available for use by every class, tip the scales so much?". For those of you who maybe unaware the DUP strips another player's buffs one shot at a time, coupled with the range an archer gets plus the ability to hit multiple targets(Multishot) or hit a single target multiple times(Rapid Fire) leaves most other classes effectively neutered. This is especially potent against mages, who rely heavily on buffs to be competitive, considering how long it takes to reapply buffs.
    As a result of this egregious imbalance, PVP has become a bit of a one sided event. Whichever side has the most Archers with DUP will win more often than not. Some may argue that the player skill coupled with good equipment i.e. the Xen bow and Spider Silk Belt makes the class formidable, however time and time again the DUP is the catalyst that takes an average player to Over Powered. Many of us have endured this imbalance hoping the Devs would take notice and take appropriate action.
    Now I'm not saying DUP must be completely removed from the game but, it definitely needs to be reworked. As an alternative, have it remove only one buff and then make the recipient of the debuff immune for a set time to negate the rapid fire's ability to provide multiple procs. Another alternative available is for everyone to respec into archery as many have begun to do, however I believe this is in direct contravention of the game's vision and intent. I appreciate your time and attention to this matter as it heavily impacts the game in a negative manner!

Theraysa Claire
    House Of Mangar

Boris Mondragon and FrostII like this.
  2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

PvP post need to be there as definitely NOT general.

and LMAO

Skill / Template / Item of the day.

3. sappersteel76

sappersteel76 Avatar

Thanks for the tip. I don't normally post things in the forum so, I just put it in general. I appreciate the tip. Not sure why you are "LMAO" but thanks anyway!

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  4. craftymethod

craftymethod Avatar

5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I just want to point out that poison is only applied on the first arrow of Rapid Fire.

6. sappersteel76

sappersteel76 Avatar

This is not the case with DUP... It removes a buff with each additional shot until there are none. It does not behave like other Poisons. When I get hit with a Rapid fire or auto attack while the Archer has the poison active then each shot removes a buff. I unwittingly posted this in the wrong forum. You can find supporting posts at this thread: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-unicorn-poison-with-the-archer-class.154343/

7. parallelogram

parallelogram Avatar

I can confirm that DUP applies multiple times with rapid fire, making it impossible to recast buffs during a DUP assault. There is 0 counter and this is also a bug, not just disbalance. Poisons should not be removed from archery, they just need a revamp. DUP is necessary for removing a death shield but the second you start getting hit with rapid fire DUP you can not reapply almost anything. Air shield will not even work.

Worse than DUP is chaotic corruption. Chaotic corruption has way too many benefits stacked in one. You are encumbering your target by 50%, applying confusion, a stacking focus damage effect, and it freaking teleports you to your attacker that is usually part of a gank squad. Chaotic corruption needs to just apply torpid torment and it should not stack with torpid torment. It would be great for cancelling shield of air only.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  8. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

That certainly sounds like a bug.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.