Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The Lord Must Fall - did I miss something? (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Cora Cuz'avich, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Did I miss something here? I get the quest, and go see Drumplemouth. He's says, "no, I'm nice, really." I talk to two other people, who say, "no he's nice, really." Then I decide not to kill him.

And that's it.

Confronting the initial accusers just results in them pretending not to know what you're talking about, as Drumplemouth predicts they will. We should at least get an explanation as to why they wanted him dead, or at least be able to determine for sure if their claims are legit or not. Maybe he's only kind of a jerk, treating some people well, and others poorly. But we never know.

What is the result if you kill him? I suspect you go back to the quest givers, earn some xp, and that's it. Or does it get more interesting?

Numa, Paladin Michael and Rentier like this.
  2. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

My guess is the same reward. I let him live too.

3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Probably. Would be kinda cool if this was a reverse of normal quests, where you can either kill the guy and take his stuff, or let him live and embark on a long involved quest. Instead, letting him live ends the quest, while killing him opens up the long involved part. Maybe after taking care of him, the quest givers have more targets, which leads to all kinds of things, involving their motives, whether to keep doing their dirty work, maybe they're just stringing you along to take the heat off of them...

4. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

talking about the vault key is also not helpful..

it seems it is connected to the missing key of the bank guard, but as i already brought it back thats a - I think- queststopper....

(I forgot to look into the bank and to use the key there.....) :(

5. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Maybe you could be onto something... ;)

6. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Drumplemouth's key has nothing to do with the bank guard. Your character has no idea where the Drumplemouth vault is, and Marlin & Natasha surely won't tell you where it is.

7. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Why would Marlin or Natasha tell you anything after you NOT doing what you were hired for? They already gave you their reasoning as to why they wanted Harcourt dead, but you decided to believe Drumplemouth's witnesses, instead. Naturally, you won't know Marlin and Natasha's true intentions after betraying them. Lastly, do you really think this is "it" after your choice? :D

Solazur, Numa, Elwyn and 3 others like this.
  8. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

well nobody reacts to the skullcrusher we met, but the smith himself and he doesn't help either....

Cordelayne and Paladin Michael like this.
  9. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

I had another Skull Clipper spawn randomly in Aerie in an abandoned building. So, more to them it appears.

10. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

so i have to research all buildings again ... ouch long way to go....

Paladin Michael and Cordelayne like this.
  11. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

Probably because no one has encountered them, before. Only seem to show up when you, the avatar, goes snooping about and not doing what you're hired for.
    [/QUOTE]

12. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I don't expect them to confess, but that doesn't mean there can't be another way to figure out what they're up to. I'm not sure whether or not this is "it," which is why I started the thread, to see if anybody else had come up with anything, or could point out what I maybe missed. I'm glad to know there's more to it.

13. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

I'd wondered if that was related. Interesting. They must not have anything to do with Natasha and Marlin (why couldn't he have been Boris?) as they'd just have the skull clippers do their dirty work. Hm.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Paladin Michael likes this.
  14. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Trying to kill us while investigate
    - upstairs at the blacksmithy - gave a clue that this story will bring up more deepness and further interesting encounters ...

This is one of the very interesting points in game, where something happened not expecting it! Like in the House on the Hills in Harvest!

Make's the story really interesting and more alive. From that point these quests should go further and deeper. And may be some will be connected, as we never thought they could ...

Hope to see more in R52 :) And may be more than all of us would expect in further Releases ...

Gorthyn, Puuk and Spoon like this.
  15. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Agreed. I thought maybe this was a little too neatly and quickly tied up to be the end of it.

Cordelayne and Puuk like this.
  16. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I'm just gonna +1 here because I liked this little quest but the "Skull Clipper" dude left me with more questions than answers. I let Drumplemouth live as well, because you can't judge the uncle by the sins of the nephew AND the evidence I was presented with. Plus, truth is my weakest virtue (too much deco "redistribution" early on) so I figured, "Meh. I guess I won't 'Valiantly trounce the rogue!'" :D

What would have been cool @Puuk, is if there was a note on the Skull Clipper that maybe gave us a little more info on who they are why they are there. Kind of like in Skyrim when you get attacked by the Dark Brotherhood. After you kill them there is a note on their body discussing the "hit" that was put out on you. That way I might also have an idea that this wasn't the end of "it" once I made my decision. Whatever it might be. Just a thought! :)

Numa, Rentier and Paladin Michael like this.
  17. Puuk

Puuk Developer Emeritus

It's a very good thought, too. The plot will thicken as time goes on (and Skull Clippers show up in the strangest places).

I know this kind of story telling is kind of new to SOTA (bread-crumb mysteries), but just know that just because you "finished" a quest a certain way, it probably has repercussions down the road (and honestly, it takes a bit of time to build all those repercussions). So, a "simple" quest solution, like the good path with Harcourt, may leave you with more questions than answers, but consider that good thing. It's supposed to whet your appetite and keep you wondering. Future encounters will reveal more information, I promise y'all. And it seems, so far, no one has done the absolutely dastardly side of the quest. Waiting on that one (there's more than 2 ways to complete this quest).:cool:

18. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

Bread-crumb mysteries sounds great :)

Not the way a lot of quests go on to receive "fast experience":
    Asking - Running - (may be talking) - killing - running back - talking - finished.

Storys for the reason of storytelling and story experience, not for a fast XP experience! That's exactly what a lot of people are waiting for.
    It's great. And hopefully the "Skull Clippers" will send more mysterious Assassin or may be friendly looking NPC with desinformation trying to lead us away from our virtuous way - where we could find out more about them ...

These non-linear quests will provide small cliffhinger (not only at the end of each episode), making travelling/exploring and talking (exciting to find some clues here and there!) more interesting :)
    Thank you @Puuk! We appreciate more bread-crumb mysteries :)

Rentier and Cordelayne like this.
  19. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

I agree! I love that this is just a piece of the puzzle and that there is more to come! Thanks @Puuk this is all great and exciting stuff! Looking forward to more Skull Clipper encounters! :D

Paladin Michael likes this.
  20. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

*ahem* ...on live. i'm keeping quiet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.