1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of: Brittany Graveyard

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Nov 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I agree, there needs to be a tomb with underground catacombs, sheesh, I'd rather have my ancestors buried in a catacomb labyrinth rought with mystery and danger and adventure, than a big yard with nothing to do, where all the graves look identical to every other.. We might as well just have had our names written on a large black wall.
    Sorry, in trying to make a point I'm sounding a.bit negative. I like this scene, but hope it has interest and more reason for all players to visit, not just a static inactive place only ancestor holders will ever visit to take a quick screenshot.

2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Love this scene!

Ice Queen, Leelu and Miracle Dragon like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

What? Buffy the vampire slayer isn't a documentary? What is the world coming to?

4. Acred

Acred Avatar

On my first entry into this scene, I said to my Party-mates that I felt I was back in Normandy, visiting the cemetary. The scale and the feeling in this graveyard scene cross you over the Rift instantly. I imaging folks who have seen Arlington are even more transported.

Thank you, SorcerousSteve for that first poignant moment and for all your hard work.

5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Kinda like the Vietnam Veterans Memorial?
    [​IMG]

Seems like emulating a memorial would be high praise, regardless of which one they picked. They just happened to offer tomestones as rewards.

6. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Yeah, see.. being that our ancestors were 'outlanders' as well, gets me thinking that the wall would be a more realistic 'memorial' Novians would have made for them. A massive cemetery needs an awful lot of grounds keeping to maintain.. also, if 'resurrection' or immortality is/was a worry, I'd think putting our ancestors in catacombs that could be locked up with a single tomb gate would be more realistic. As a pledge 'reward' we'll get our tombstone yard decorations anyway, so I don't see why the actual graves in Novia have to be identical.

But again, I do think this cemetery is beautiful, I'm just not entirely positive how much thought went into this decision.. how will the lore feel? What will the events and quests here be like? Will there be a lot of NPC's? will we have a grounds keeper house, and night time grave diggers trying to steal the outlanders' riches? Will powerful necromancers gravitate to this place hoping to raise an army? Does the nearby city of Britannia have members of their honor guard keeping constant watch on this place, with instructions to report back to their commander if the dead shall ever rise? (showing the mistrust of our uncanny 'immortal' tendencies)

Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

There was mention of a war between the avatar(s... plural) and whatever force they were fighting against... perhaps some of the Novians left behind after the breaking produced this in their memory, much like the above reference to the Vietnam Memorail, to do honor to the memory of those they felt fought on the side of light?

Leelu and Miracle Dragon like this.
  8. Curt

Curt Avatar

Could have so a friendly ghost showed up at your ancestor's tombstone, would make it easier to find but probably hard to code to.

Leelu, Miracle Dragon and Spoon like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Are there any plans to allow players to choose the style of their gravestone ? Assuming it can be placed in programatically ...

Also, would be nice to place flowers on gravesites, like mentioned before, it could give a virtue bonus.

10. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

The scene is awesome. I look forward to the names appearing and am curious what else might eventually happen here as well! Needs to have some draw to it.

This game is played in cemeteries and pretty much everywhere else in the world...
    [​IMG]

Leelu and Miracle Dragon like this.
  11. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Graveyard looks really good.

Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Who goes to a cemetery? Well I used to as a kid with my mom. We even would picnic occasionally in them if my mother knew ahead of time that we were going to be in one for awhile. She was her family's genealogist and so I've seen a fair number of cemeteries, including old military ones. :p

5000?!! Wow! Thank you for all the hard work. It looks lovely. :cool:

Miracle Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.