1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Paladis Shardfall

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Jan 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selene

Selene Avatar

Hmmn. Clearly we should rename the one in Epitaph the "Hot Tub of Destiny" to prevent any confusion. :D

2. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

Is the North Paladis Shardfall intended to be a control point type area between Regalis and North Paladis, or just an area to enter like the Grunnvald Shardfall area is in the middle of the Grunnvald?

Leelu likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Is that where the Corpions bathe?

Funny joke, but as we move closer to "launch" I really hope we have less of this in the official game. The inside jokes and history of testing is great, someone should really writing this stuff down as it will be a nice read years from now. But sometimes I think we get a little carried away with the casual nature of gaming world. It's easy to remove the pretense of this fake world we're exploring and "living in" by cracking jokes. It's a lot harder to build immerssion that way though. So from a starting point, I'd prefer that we don't have "Corpions" so that the people looking to be a little more reserved have that opportunity.

Not trying to pick on you SeleneNoctua, I just wanted to make a general point.

Leelu likes this.
  4. Selene

Selene Avatar

[​IMG]

You should know by now only half of the things I say I mean seriously, and only half of those anyone else actually takes seriously.

5. Drocis the Devious

I just saw an opportunity to use what you wrote to make my point. It had nothing to do with you personally. :)

This is the kind of thing where I hope one of the devs reads this exchange and they think about the "extra" stuff they're leaving in the game and how it impacts different playstyles.

Leelu likes this.
  6. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

Very professionally done... nice colors... everything looks good... yet this plants are unnerving, and the floating shards too. But of course there are alien plants and magic (dark side) shards.

In this case the "bad" feelings the screenshots inspire are for the good, helps the immersion of the player. Not an easy thing to do. A masterpiece.

Leelu likes this.
  7. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Do the red tentacle plants attack? If so, yikes!

Leelu likes this.
  8. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Its a PVP zone, not control point

9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Despite the origin of the name, why shouldn't they be called Corpions? Or Teptides? Or Stikyoptis? There aren't any scorpions that big on earth, so they obviously are not earthly scorpions.

10. Drocis the Devious

Using that logic alone, there's no reason at all.

However, I find it silly and confusing to those that are not in on the joke, which isn't really that funny of a joke. We could apply that same logic to other mobs. Let's create silly names for everything. Giant Wolves can now be Golfs. Giant Skeletons can now be Gkeletons.

It's annoying to me. For others it might be the funniest thing ever. But because it's something that is unnecessary and distracting, I feel like the joke is over and we should just move on. That's why.

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.