1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Verdantis Mines

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Sea-Wolf, Mar 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

To spend that much time mining the amount of 'needed ore' bothers me. It takes a LOT of ore to make just the desired armor and weapons. If you are a miner, you also have visibility to the impact the changes are making.

If you are not a miner, you aren't seeing what many of us are. Give it a try :D

Cordelayne and Chatele like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

There really isn't a comparison to be made between adventure and craft XP.. they're completely separate.

3. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

Oh I'm a miner! Check Razial and Reis Trading Co in Xenos (shameless plug) but I like the mine redesigns to be honest. My earlier post about mobs dropping ore, raiding vaults, etc I would like to see... but to be honest I try to avoid the mines and do as much group raiding as possible... I live near Xenos just to be close to Elysium... but even so I welcome the changes...

I mean MMOs are meant to be a marathon not a race... With that being said I gathered 6K silver ore over 5 days After the nerf... so yeah... I feel your pain... but I choose to think/hope the coming changes will entice more people to visit the mines, and then hit nodes rather than just mindlessly mining away for hours. Guilty as charged!

Sentinel2 and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

A lot of it is all about player expectations.. but there are also a lot of other factors that may or may not be tweaked down the line.. so while the 'nerf' of ore output is concerning to me, there are plenty of ways to balance it out and I will wait and see how things turn out.. but in the meantime I'm getting as much silver as I can. :)

Sentinel2 likes this.
  5. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

FYI... I don't dislike the designs. Just in case someone get's the wrong impression. I also like servicing our customers in game who purchase the ore and other products which means we need to dig :)

Either way, can you blame me :). I'm with the BMC and we are driven and enjoy helping others acquire the goods they seek.

Cordelayne likes this.
  6. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

While they are separate the exp should be the same... Both have skill trees that require the same(ish) experience to gain to reach the GM levels do they not..

Just trying to figure out why fighting exp is more important than crafting exp and should be able to gain at a higher level.

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not all adventuring skills take the same XP to GM.. why should crafter skills take the same as adventure skills to GM? There is no implication of importance between the two either. What is ultimately important is that each skill take a certain amount of time and effort but measuring that time and effort solely by XP is misleading.

8. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

so is this Mine still useless for... well... mining?
    Same with Serpent's Mine?

9. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Bowen,

Why can I raise enough skill to GM one attacking skill in 2-3 days and it takes me 2-3 months to raise said skills in crafting? I spent 3 months gathering enough experience to GM two producer skills and I can gain enough experience in 3 days to GM a fighting skill. There is NO option for crafters to make the same types of skill gains or even meet them half way and your considering that fair?

10. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

Yep... welcome to the NEW Serpents and Verdantis Cave's which are visually much better than before, but alas are no longer mine-able due to the extreme change(s) in obtainable resources per hour.

GrayFog likes this.
  11. GrayFog

GrayFog Avatar

Ok then nothing has changed in my abscence of 3 month or so.

What a shame, 2 more zones then go to the VERY LONG list of "zones that are useless, empty and no point to visit, explore and hunt".

12. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

IDK, I guess I am in the minority. Verdantis is one of my MOST favorite scenes to fight in now. Its Interesting, Challenging, Fun and I need to pay attention to what I'm doing. The Elves and Undead are SOOOO much better fights then the tedious Endless Earth Elementals and Mindless Melee Kobolds.

I would also argue that the obtainable "resources" in an hour has been reduced in Verdantis. THAT BEING SAID, Do you get less Copper and Silver now per hour SOLO... Certainly, but by and by, XP, Loot, Money and overall resource worth gained per hour in new Verdantis as opposed to old Verdantis... I just think players are sore to lose all that easy accessed ore in close confined spaces. You gotta work for it now, and if you are working with someone, its even better. There are a LOT of resource nodes in this scene...you just have to seek them out and keep moving. But i'm ok with prices going up because of it too.

Personally I like splitting my time and having a different experience in each scene I go to now... One day Verdantis, another Serpents, Graff, etc. Each is different and so much better then the same thing every damn day.

Again, mileage varies.. and my option might just stink in others view.. That's ok too.

Looking forward to the "next pass" on Vertantis to get the "Upper City" as interesting as the main level. :D

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    Ancev likes this.
  13. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

At the same time... It's a mine... When I go to a mine I'm concerned with one thing: Ore. If I was concerned with the others I wouldn't be looking for them in a "mine". Now I agree with you that this is a very cool adventure scene and I enjoyed my exploration of it, but it's not fulfilling its role as a mine.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

At what point did I give a specific example of what is or should be fair? All I said was measuring time and effort for skills by XP alone is misleading. Not that answering the question of fairness in this case would mean anything given that everyone has their own opinion what is fair.

But to answer the first question.. mobs will come to you.. if you know how to fight and where to hunt. Crafting and combat are balanced completely differently. Why should they be the same? Again.. asking that makes no implication as to what would be "fair".. just that it doesn't need to be the same.

15. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

well well one more Mine to explore....

Where is my mining helmet?

:D

16. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I'm finding verdantis mines pretty interesting. I've been in this mine a few different times since it was uncloned and noticed I missed some stuff the first time around. Seems like there might be a puzzle with the lamps but not sure.

One thing I noticed however - the rooms that require keys to open them tend to have elves that drop rusty swords instead of long swords... ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.