1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

The Making of Yew

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by SorcerousSteve, Dec 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Nice job Steve... how many cotos did it cost at the New Yew Salon? Yeah, perfect setup for another bad pun.

Btw- Liking the design of new log cabin/tree homes for whomever pulled those together.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
  2. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

This is absolutely gorgeous, @SorcerousSteve . Definitely wish I had claimed a place there earlier when there were still lots on the road. Hopefully Northwood will look just as unique and awesome some day.

SorcerousSteve likes this.
  3. Kelly O'Shay

Kelly O'Shay Avatar

@SorcerousSteve are you suggesting that underwater swimming will be available to explore the depths of the spring in Yew?

4. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

It should say "take a swim in its elven springs"
    There is currently no underwater swimming in Shroud of the Avatar.

5. SorcerousSteve

SorcerousSteve Developer Emeritus

Hey guys, SorcerousSteve here to give you the latest update on the final detail pass for the city of Yew!

Detail Pass:
    As I was wrapping up work on Yew this week, I decided to go back and do another pass this time focusing on pushing the elven aesthetic even further and the overall forest feel. Below you can see ivy and roots adorning the town entrance to Yew.
    [​IMG]

Utilizing our Real Ivy tool I was able to hand paint roots onto the town entrance and create some self supporting root/ivy archways.

Real Ivy - Procedural Ivy Generation https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/86134
    [​IMG]

Archways consisting of roots and ivy adorn the Moonlight Spring.
    [​IMG]

The roads leading up to player housing have been manicured, elven colors line their length.
    [​IMG]

Another spring located just outside the town, nestled among the deep woods.
    [​IMG]

Stay tuned for Yew this upcoming R50!

Esteben Zaldivar
    Level Designer

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

@SorcerousSteve

Will we ever have procedurally generated ivy grow on player homes (like in one of the concept art pieces of Ardoris)?

7. Rada Torment

Rada Torment Community Ambassador (ES)

Looks awesome!

The Ivy generator tool could be usefull for future assets/props and more to come.

8. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

I've been wandering around Yew on QA with the UI turned off for the last hour or so. Absolute heaven, @SorcerousSteve . It has that Wood Elf city of Kelethin vibe from ye old EverQuest mixed with a forest-themed water park sort of vibe going on. Probably due to the mist and gorgeous waterscapes. It's excellent.

SorcerousSteve likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I think I'd better change my building type now the city is uncloned.

SorcerousSteve and Bow Vale like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.