The map is too small - Giveaway ($5 Store credit)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Logain, Dec 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logain

Logain Avatar

Greetings fellow Avatars!

With the introduction of SotA to the Steam community there had been a few remarks on how 'small' the world is and how little there is to explore. While that is correct (and logic, since the game is still in an early stage of development), I bet that most people have yet to truly explore! In order to point you at some things you might have missed ... I'm holding a little giveaway! You can win $5 SotA Storecredit if you follow the hints and combine them to a tinyURL(.com).

Place yourself as close as possible to the position of these screenshoots, use the /loc command, note the requested number/letter and combine them. That should lead you to a webpage with more instructions!
    (Sorry if there are random sporadic commercials, it's just a placeholder hosted by a friend)
    Example: If you have a location of Owl's Nest 100.5, -70.0, 2.2 (Name X, Y, Z) and I'd ask for the third digit of X, it would be 0.
    Start the tinyURL with ABC, add...
    Third digit X http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349183596
    Fourth letter name http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349207502
    First digit Y http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349207983
    Tenth letter name http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349208322
    First digit Z http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349208691
    Eigth letter name http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=349590299
    ... and add another ABC!

• Letters have to be used case-sensitive ( e instead of E )
    • Underscores and numbers count as one letter in a scene name (resulting in a 'D' instead of an 'A')
    • Scenes that have multiple versions need to use the 'common' version as scene name
    All the locations are 'difficult' to reach and require you to have a sharp eye, or even to solve a riddle. But that's the intention behind this giveaway. To show that there's 'more than meets the eye', so if you don't find enough to explore yet, you might have been looking at the wrong locations. It's not about the low reward, but to encourage people to enjoy exploration and to raise awareness of all the fantastic hidden locations even at this early stage in development (the ones I used are only a small part of what you ~can~ find).

First 100 (or less) valid entries get into a list and one winner is drawn randomly at the 15th this month. No warranties or liabilities though (don't lawyer me bro ;) )!

Good luck and happy exploring!

P.S.: I know this is a vain hope, but I'd love if people could try to refrain from posting any spoilers. It's only $5! Hints are more than welcome if somebody gets seriously stuck, just no spoon feeding right away.
    Please keep the discussion in this thread to a minimum, regardless of positive or negative feedback on SotA's development.
    Special note to Moderators: Should you see people posting 32 digit hash strings, that is not 'mindless spamming', but rather participating in the giveaway (e.g. cfcd208495d565ef66e7dff9f98764da)!

Thank you very much in advance!

Birko, Kara Brae, majoria70 and 10 others like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think this looks like a fun and wonderful contest!

3. stile

stile Avatar

Yo go Logain!!

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  4. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

anyone finish the quest?

5. Kaffien

Kaffien Avatar

Blue Rose Isle, Crafters Town, Black Rock Cove
    I don't know any of those locations .... ah well.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Just for the record. The current map is JUST the starting area. We haven't even seen the actual mainland map.

7. enderandrew

Actually, I'm not even sure if this is the starting area or not.

Some of the lore suggests the outlanders are first appearing through the Owl's Head rift. But some of the story releases so far hints at a system like the Ultima gypsy where we pick between three virtues and have a different starting city based on that choice.

smack and Keira OFaolain like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I could be wrong. But it's my understanding that we all "start" in the Vale, there will eventually be a gypsy interaction that lets us pick our starting area, either Aerie (Truth), Resolute (Courage), or Ardoris (Love).

So it's probably that you wander around the Vale to get acclimated with the game. Then after you've "told the game" your playingstyle (are you PVP, are you a jerk, do you like to kill chickens?) then the game will say, talk to this gypsy and go pick a starting location.

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  9. Keira OFaolain

Keira OFaolain Avatar

I really like the idea of different starting citys based off alignments. If for no other reason it would cut down on crowding in the staring area.

10. enderandrew

http://sotawiki.net/sota/Arabella

Keira OFaolain likes this.
  11. smack

smack Avatar

We will all start on different areas of the map based on whatever "gypsy-wagon" like questioning that presumably will happen. My understanding is that The Hidden Vale was created as platform to test designs during pre-alpha and actually had no basis in lore originally.

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

i found 1,2,4 and 5... 3 and 6 are driving me insane -.-

majoria70 and smack like this.
  13. enderandrew

This is a shot in the dark, but I think 6 is in The Clink near where you find Myron.

Themo Lock likes this.
  14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I did find this incredibly evil chicken in my travels that has its own lich throne and torture chamber >.>
    [​IMG]

Logain and smack like this.
  15. enderandrew

Beware the Vorpal Chicken!

Themo Lock likes this.
  16. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Logain likes this.
  17. Logain

Logain Avatar

Yes. Please feel free to send me a private message if you are struggling but have found all the six locations anytime. I tested it with one very kind person of the glorious Moongate Travelers ahead in order to see if it worked out for others, but maybe if you were unlucky with the alignment of your character on a chest you got one of numbers slightly off.
    If you follow the tinyURL link, you should end up with a page that gets you further instructions (and one more evil place to find :p)
    Btw. it's great that you found even more places that I had not mentioned! ;) Now *I* got to go and search the chicken room ~winks~

18. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

@RichardGarriott / @Darkstarr is this the "Doom Chicken"? :D

19. Net

Net Avatar

Damn, I got to tiny url... (fifth location is tough one - I got it slightly wrong) but as this is old quest, I can progress no further as it is not possible to get the instructions work.

It was fun anyway.

Themo Lock likes this.
  20. Net

Net Avatar

Actually...
    cfcd208495d565ef66e7dff9f98764da

Lucky me for archiving irc chat history:p

PS: It seems that the code I got is same as the one in your Original post and I get same code if I include bonus thing or leave it out...

Logain and Themo Lock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.