The net effect of card combat on me and how YOU THE PLAYER can start a REVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Prince Guni, Jul 26, 2014.

?

Do you like random cards?

1. Keep those random cards coming!

95 vote(s)
    67.9%
  2. I don't like random/chance/clicking but want to focus on my tactics instead! Fixed cards please!

45 vote(s)
    32.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

wondering why people prefer random cards over choosen spells and attacks they want to use at a specific time, in my opinion luck have nothing to show up in a combat system maybe for gambling . every streamer i have watched in previous days since release of pvp told that the card system is not really what they prefered.

maybe the pve guys voted here XD who dont care much about pvp combat

2. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

Nope. PvEr here. I PVPd for the test, a lot, but I am not going to be doing much PVP in release.

For PVE this system really blows. I can see it hurting PVP as well, since you have to currently dance around like a monkey for the targeting to work.

Which is why you would think "random cards" in PVE would be ok, since you no longer have to run around to avoid real player attacks.

Not so much. Now that you no longer have to really "dodge" its still a PITA to wait around for the proper cards to use as an attack rather than the auto-attack.

Granted, 120 skill points has made that easier to maintain, having pumped every single point into the focus tree you can, but really? We are not going to start with 120 skill points.

Using a mid/high end build to "prove" something is worthwhile is going to be a hard pill to swallow for those lower levels. And even more so for people who are not invested to stick with it.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I just now saw this thread.

I've been a big skeptic about the whole card thing, but after actually seeing how they implemented it, I'm Very impressed. There is no need to start some revolution against the card thing.

This system is one of the most fun I've played. I almost always had the card I needed at that exact time. The fact of the matter is I have had multiples of the card I needed most of the time. So in a traditional system you would have to wait for a cool down, but in this system you just fire away. If I didn't have the exact card I needed (because I had only 3 in my deck or somethign) I could click off about 3 of my other cards, and it popped up very soon after because my hand size was 6 or 7 and it was set to deal very vast or whatever.

I'm convinced this is not only a suitable system I think this is a great system, and has the potential to be the best combat system I've seen in a game. So I don't know what all the fuss is about.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

We are still in the first iteration of the card system. There is a lot of work yet to come. What I saw was enough of a good idea to continue to build on to see what happens if it can be honed into something special. I'm glad to see a new idea beyond the usual fare.

That the system contemplates people wanting to have locked cards is good. It will enable both styles of play.

5. evilgrin

evilgrin Avatar

Im happy having both options, I'm only playing this for pvp. I did some today, and ended up going with the lock system. Long as they keep both and support them both, who cares. I would drop instantly if the locked skills disappeared though.

6. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

for me melle chars need a jump or charge its a must !!!!!
    and the system that a melee combo is just 1 key to perform it is boring for a fighter
    and i love the idea of age of conan to have combat keys you have to press during a combo , these can be random

so one time you make a melle combo called .... you have to press qe123 but next time maybe eq312 so you have to look , and there is a chance a melee fighter fizzle one of those 6 key combos when someone is stunned and he want to make max dmg, so some people who are not that experianced might stick with a 4 key combo which do less dmg but kinda save to not fail

7. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

I ran with the draw deck on Saturday and the locked deck on Sunday. The locked deck was significantly more effective when you consider the points I saved (and thus abilities I could add) by taking out multiple versions of abilities and all but 1 of the hand size, discard speed and draw speed upgrades.

Some of this might be because I was running with every +focus and -cost upgrade in the tree maxed, but focus was never remotely a problem for me on either day.

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  8. Kilhwch

Kilhwch Avatar

Ok, that's different than what I understood from the original poster. I don't personally like that camera type; but I've played games (FFXIV, Zelda) where it can be toggled on/off, which is nice for those people who do.

9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

As far as PvP goes this game is already better than a lot of games out there and this was just the first release.

The free for all killing will likely have more order as things go along.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

10. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Seems to be an overwhelming amount of support at this point for the card based combat

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  11. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah some of the people who don't like it in one of the other threads admitted to having not tried the system too. The card system is here to stay. it will not be going back to a more traditional system, and they will only refine it and add more skills. Anybody fighting aginst this system is in the minority. However if bother to learn the system and adapt to it, you may find it is more effective than a static toolbar of skills, because you can have multiple cards of what you need rather than wait for a cool down. The deck system turned out to be a potent tool.

Think about this if you have 20 cards in a deck and 6 or 7 slots, how often will the skills that you have 5 cards of show up? the answer is LOTS of times. And after you use a skill another one pops up quickly if you have enough skill points in focus. You constantly have the skills you need.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  12. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Firstly Yes I haven't played it because I no longer have anything but mobile internet and my ex took the desk top when she left so I don't have a choice but to rely on indirect evidence like Chris's video

Secondly yep there are a majority who like it so far but it seems to be around a THIRD who don't, no small minority by any stretch and if anything I think that number will go up because there are a lot here who will swallow anything the devs throw out and claim its the second coming, to many people treat this like some kind of cult or religion rather than a company selling a product.

So can the devs afford to lose at least 1/3 of there potential player base?

13. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

Kadumel, I appreciate what you are saying. 38% of the hardcore SotA fans on this forum not liking the system is a lot though. You can not just ignore almost 2 out of 5 people here. In addition, this may very well translate into a vast majority of normal players (potential players for release or people who tried SotA including those who tried and quit) not liking it. Most people who get annoyed with a major aspect of a game usually just walk away and play something else. Those frustrated enough to give up are not here to vote anymore.

When I started this thread I have not even encountered the worst aspect of this random card thing yet: slugs! I usually play archer types or mages and rarely tanks with heavy armor and for most of this alpha test that was fine playing in the forest and outdoor pvp areas. Eventually, some arena combat convinced me to try out the melee/tank builts with plate armor and shields. I mean those that get a lot of slugs, even if you train the various skills to reduce slugs. Doing that I made two observations:

1. Slugs are extremely annoying! Which means that playing a tank in SotA becomes extremely annoying! Constantly having to click them away with the mouse that you actually need to use at that time to move around? Are you kidding me? Using keyboard combinations such as CTRL+9 instead? Is this a piano player competition?

2. Of course after a while I figured the solution to ruLeZ is a programmable gaming mouse or game controller. Gosh, you can't imagine how I ended up ruling my friends after that discovery! I just remapped all those stupid keys to the number pad on my mouse and became the slug ditching maSterZ. I guess next I should start working on a 3rd party app called Slug Killer. It will read out the screen bitmap, discover when there are a lot of grey pixels in a slot and will automatically trigger the appropriate keyboard key to kill the slug. You will be able to buy it for $199 per license on AnsheX. You WILL need it to stay competitive as a pvp tank in SotA. Of course I AM kidding. But if this remains unchanged SOMEONE will program such an app. Even without an app, those who have an expensive programmable gaming mouse will cut through normal players like a knife through butter.

Good thing it is alpha. I hope we will see some cool solutions from the devs to these issues.

ByTor [MGT] and Joviex like this.
  14. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

I doubt that anyone was so frustrated with an alpha product that they chose not to vote, if you look around there are probably 100 - 200 consistent forum members that account for a large majority of the voting and commenting on this forum. The majority of the people who play alpha releases casually are probably less likely to come in and vote on things like this. A part of me also wonders how many people are more likely to come in and vote 'No' on every poll regardless of the issue, I don't by any means think it is everyone I just have a feeling there are some.

15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

and let's put this firmly in context. When Chris puts out the numbers for this release, I am sure we will see the same trend like the last 7 releases, something like 10, maybe 15k people this go, out of the almost 40k pledges, will have played.

Let's be generous and say that is 40% of the entire "able to play the game at release" crowd currently.

Two thirds of 40% is roughly 27%. That is not a majority (yet maybe. ....)

Keep in mind this needs to ATTRACT more people as well. I know the previous lackof flesh had put off a few people I wanted to join, and after this weekend it did not sway them.

Their verdict seems to be to wait and see how much more shaping it gets as its interface and execution is extremely rough.

sgt_pEppEr and Bramagola like this.
  16. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

just curious, where are you guys getting these figures?

17. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I have been a hardcore player in two hardcore games with a steep learning curve and/or elements that put off most people who are more mainstream. One was Shadowbane, the other was Second Life. During those more than 10 years I have heard again and again and again how those familiar with the non-standard controls/system/gameplay would praise the game the way it has been (and what they got used to), while at the same time being surprised by the fact that 97% of people who created a Second Life accounts would drop out. People would log in once, get confused or frustrated or annoyed and leave for good, before they would ever discover any of the very deep and unique experiences that virtual world actually has to offer. Similarly, I watched scores and scores of players log into Shadowbane, get ganked once or twice and leave, without ever discovering the unique guild play, political system, sieges and countless other features that made that game unique.

Card combat and slugs promises to become the true killer feature of SotA in the most literal way: It has all the potential to frustrate and scare off the vast majority of MMORPG players out there before they even have a chance to get deep enough into the game and story to see how deep the game play actually is compared to the countless WoW and Everquest clones out there.

To use another Second Life analogy: How many people do you think will consider you nuts or socially impaired when you tell them you play something called "Second Life" and stare at you or even feel insulted when you suggest they should try such a thing out by themselves? How many potential players do you think will immediately cross SotA from their list of games to check out when they hear "random card combat system"?

IMHO you need a very strong case to justify going forward with this. 60% vs 40% of active hardcore fans voting that they like it isn't a very strong case.

docdoom77 likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

People played longer I bet.

Prince Guni likes this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Having a combat tutorial sessions available in game for new players should mitigate this. This system is not hard at all.

Although tweaking the deck, and the skills is not something you can just do naturally. Some of us had to swap out things constantly in the beginning to get our decks right. So retraining skills should be a very easy process for new players. It shouldn't cost thousands of gold pieces or something like that. It is optimizing your skills, when you have no idea what the skill does, or how it will actually operate in game.

Some skills look great when you read about it, but they don't funciton as you might expect. Then some other skills that appear to be useless, might actually be good because they are faster to initiate, and it blocks or cancels out somebody else's long casting spell.

That's where the issue is going to be. Not the deck system itself. The system is easy to learn. The learning curve on this is just fine.

EDIT: Retraining skills is a must have. It must not be totally burdensome.

Whitestag likes this.
  20. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

again, I ask, where are you getting these figures? I hope you aren't basing your reasoning off the results of this unofficial poll with less than 100 responses.

Joviex and Prince Guni like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.