1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

The new dying punishment.

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Feeyo, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I have an idea to make dying a dangerous punishment again.
    Give us an new extra IBL (Internal Bonus Level) on our avatar.

We start with IBL 0, when we kill mobs we gain some small IB experience points.
    When we reach IBL1 we get a small stats bonus (+2% on all stats, and run speed bonus).

Maximum IBL we can reach is IB Level 5? Giving us a nice boost on stats.
    Of course to reach a new IB level the IB experience points gain should be harder to get.
    If we die we lose a full (1) IB Level. If we die 5 times in a row, our IBL is 0 again.

What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. that_shawn_guy

that_shawn_guy Bug Hunter

So, more of a living bonus instead of a dying punishment?

I like it. Although, I didn't have a problem with the original experience loss mechanism.

3. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Yeah you could also see it like that. :)

that_shawn_guy likes this.
  4. Vero

Vero Avatar

I like the idea! nice one +1

Feeyo likes this.
  5. Terrence Phillip

Terrence Phillip Avatar

This idea is pretty awesome!!! I like it a lot!

Cordelayne and Feeyo like this.
  6. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

[​IMG]

Astirian and Feeyo like this.
  7. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

This sounds a bit like the star system Cryptic uses in Champions Online. Every time you are defeated you lose a star, and gain it back with a boss win...

Feeyo likes this.
  8. Astirian

Astirian Avatar

Baron Munchausen! I love that movie!!

Cordelayne likes this.
  9. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Love it. I'm thinking of the name Fame. Maybe there is something better, But it is an awe inspiring stat but can be lost if you start to lose your edge, like a warriors reputation.

Astirian and Feeyo like this.
  10. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

It is an interesting idea. But I see it a little differently.

When I buy ice cream for the first time, eating it feels like a big bonus in life. But if I have ice cream in the fridge all the time, that bonus becomes a regular way of life. I expect that to be the norm. And so does the rest of the family. Anything else is a downside. If I then forget to go to the store, not having ice cream viewed as a penalty, which is different than where we started, which was ice cream as a bonus.

Similarly, having a longevity bonus sounds like a cup-is-full approach to death at first. But soon those bonus stats will be perceived as the 'expected norm'. We will feel we need it to be at usual performance. Raid groups will expect us to have that bonus, and not want us to show up without it. So when death takes away that longevity bonus, it will still be perceived as a penalty. We will be gimped, not normal.

In that regard, it is not different than taking a stats hit for dying that is negative. The stats still change by the same amount based on the same metric, longevity. A longevity bonus just sounds better.

I'd say that for the game to create 'fear of death', we need something else. Avatars actually have to first die. Been in many UT raids now and not seen any deaths in the groups most of those times. Fun enough. But we might imagine that with the endless power leveling curve in SOTA, it seems likely that death will just diminish more and more as time goes on. And so any death penalty is mostly meaningless as time goes on anyway.

11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Raids? What raids?
    Sorry I do not see it how you do.

12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

i agree with @Beaumaris. i heard many people say they didn't want to play during the week when double xp was a weekend bonus. if they didn't have it, they felt like they were wasting their time.

13. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

Double exp is such a very different subject. Having a small stats boost as a reward for not dying is very rewarding.
    Even if its a +1%, +2% or +3% max..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.