Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

The new flame armor is so perfect for my Fire Mage except for one thing...

Discussion in 'Release 46 Feedback Forum' started by Zeetocht, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeetocht

Zeetocht Avatar

... it's leather

:(

Numa and zyxe like this.
  2. Zeetocht

Zeetocht Avatar

I've been thinking about this ever since I started this thread.

Imagine that you're an average Kobald Warrior on routine patrol in the Elyssium Mine. You're there with a sense of duty but you're hoping for another uneventful watch at the end of which you can return to the comfort and safety of your cave. And then as if from nowhere, THWOCK! You don't know what it is or from whence it came but you do know that you've been hit by something that continues to burn within your gut. And then again, THWOCK! You still don't know what's happening but you do know the burning within your gut has increased. Faint images of a mythological creature described to you in childhood stories begin to swim up from the deepest parts of your memory, a creature who wears pure fire as if it were its skin ensconced within a fortress of fire who can hurl fiery missiles from a range beyond your ability to detect whose presence only becomes known by a fiery THWOCK!. Duty-bound you begin to run in the direction you think the attack came from and then you see it- the creature is no myth. As you press on through what you now know is a relentless barrage the hope of an uneventful watch vanishes and as you begin to feel the heat of the rings of fire encircling the creature the hope of anything beyond surviving the next few seconds vanishes as well. The last thing you see is a pulsing orb of fire arching through the air.

Imagine if that armor was cloth.

:eek:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm trying to understand the issue.

- Visually, you say it looks awesome so it's not the visual aspect of the leather that's the problem.
    - Leather armour is categorized as Light Armour which is the same as cloth when it comes to being able to use skills; so that's not the issue either.
    - Leather armour has a higher fizzle rate than cloth which may be the issue but wasn't Fire school part of the "less likely to fizzle" circle?

I think the idea is that, when people "wear" fire (like for practical effects in movies, for example), they tend to wear a lot of padding as fire hurts a lot.

4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

It would be nice if you could get the +INT stat on leather masterworking.. I think you can only get +DEX atm? More INT would help a leather based mage.. not as good as the % focus you get from cloth but it would be something. Focus loss is a huge sacrifice for a mage going the leather route.

My current build with leather gives me a max of 38.5 combat dodge using the new Defensive Stance logic. That's leather+dodge. That gets me quite a bit higher than a cloth build, but I also have significantly less focus pool and less spell damage. And it's only protection from the front, not front behind I guess.

It was more desirable when I could dodge from behind...now I'm getting instantly killed by stealthed sneak attacks.. but that's another story. One way to defend it would be using Shield of Air, but then I'd be out of focus entirely. hmm.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  5. Zeetocht

Zeetocht Avatar

I don't want my Fire Mage to wear leather, I think cloth is better, I just want to extract the patterns from the flame armor set and apply them cosmetically to my Fire Mage's armor but I can't because his armor is cloth and the flame armor is leather. To make it work I'm currently working on a full set of bone armor which is considered leather so I should be able to apply the extracted patterns to it.

6. Gix

Gix Avatar

My question was more along the lines of "Why don't you want to wear leather?" Isn't leather considered "light armour" just like cloth?

7. Zeetocht

Zeetocht Avatar

Leather has more fizzle chance than cloth but dual-wielding wands offsets that so I probably could wear leather- but now I have a good excuse to work on bone armor :p

8. Gix

Gix Avatar

Gotcha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.